Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2013, 05:31 PM

1,502 posts, read 2,666,093 times

Advertisements

Let me start off by saying that I am very qualified at what I do. Without getting into details of education or experience, my resume is very much up there even in the DC area. I just wanted to get that out of the way.

When I see my job satisfaction going downhill, I put my resume up on Monster/Dice etc. Responses to my resume are rather high. I get about 25 responses to my resume today without having to apply to a single job. I remember the years of getting no response to my resume for weeks even if I sent out 100 per day.

It just seems like when someone contacts me about a job, our correspondence (whether telephonic or verbal) goes into a black hole.

If I am actually out of work though, I have had the luck of obtaining multiple interviews and offers simultaneously in a short period of time.

It is not like I put much more effort into anything when I am out of work either.

There is always talk of how much more leverage you have while you are working since you already *HAVE* a job. I don't see it if no one wants to hire you while you are still working.

What gives?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2013, 05:46 PM

I meant that I get about 25 responses to my resume PER day not "today".

Also, when I finally do get another job, it is at a higher pay than my present one. If I try to get one while working, the traffic/offers are always lower.

Old 08-18-2013, 05:49 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,110,935 times
I call it getting damn lucky.

Old 08-18-2013, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
I call it getting damn lucky.
Lol, who knows!

Old 08-19-2013, 08:24 AM

6,345 posts, read 8,110,935 times
If you don't mind revealing, what skillset or profession gets 25 responses a day? With high unemployment, it's interesting to find out what field is in demand.

Old 08-19-2013, 09:19 AM

1,728 posts, read 3,548,596 times
I had the same problem. I only work in very large companies and not everyone can be an official recruiter/agent so these guys have to follow the rules making me 'untouchable' until I officially resign and get the blessings of the management. Some agents literally apologize and say 'we cant talk' or require some proof thatI have resigned.

Old 08-19-2013, 10:15 AM

7,112 posts, read 13,149,718 times
Quote:
If you don't mind revealing, what skillset or profession gets 25 responses a day? With high unemployment, it's interesting to find out what field is in demand.
I am a mechanic by trade and I receive about 20 a week.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/31028719-post23.html

Old 08-19-2013, 10:47 AM

570 posts, read 1,729,027 times
Quote:
just Put 5-6 year's of C# .net and sql experience and 1-2 azure experience. You will get 20 responses.

Old 08-19-2013, 10:59 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,979,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by va_lucky View Post
Let me start off by saying that I am very qualified at what I do. Without getting into details of education or experience, my resume is very much up there even in the DC area. I just wanted to get that out of the way.

When I see my job satisfaction going downhill, I put my resume up on Monster/Dice etc. Responses to my resume are rather high. I get about 25 responses to my resume today without having to apply to a single job. I remember the years of getting no response to my resume for weeks even if I sent out 100 per day.

It just seems like when someone contacts me about a job, our correspondence (whether telephonic or verbal) goes into a black hole.

If I am actually out of work though, I have had the luck of obtaining multiple interviews and offers simultaneously in a short period of time.

It is not like I put much more effort into anything when I am out of work either.

There is always talk of how much more leverage you have while you are working since you already *HAVE* a job. I don't see it if no one wants to hire you while you are still working.

What gives?

Thanks

That sounds funny because some employers used to ask this question when I was unemployed last year

"Are you working now?"

Wasn't sure if they were asking because they preferred to hire someone unemployed who has less leverage or because someone who is employed has more appeal lol

Old 08-19-2013, 11:08 AM

6,131 posts, read 7,979,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
That sounds funny because some employers used to ask this question when I was unemployed last year

"Are you working now?"

Wasn't sure if they were asking because they preferred to hire someone unemployed who has less leverage or because someone who is employed has more appeal lol
It's so that we know what the next question to ask should be. It'll be either:

a. Why are looking to leave?

Or

B. Why did you leave your last position?

I kinda thought you'd have known that. Silly me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment