Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2013, 12:29 PM

2,257 posts, read 5,186,176 times

Advertisements

I hope your real name is not "Samantha Patton". It would be terrible if your employer/coworkers would find out now or later about this thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2013, 03:44 PM

1,566 posts, read 2,158,542 times
Congratulations OP! Very exciting time for you. Also stressful, planning a wedding, starting a new job, car breaking down, you and father being sick (wondering though why you had to take a full day off because your father was sick?)

JMO - but if I were you, I'd move HEAVEN AND EARTH to get to the venue over the weekend. You really shouldn't be using any work time for wedding plans. You're still pretty new, and even if you are entitled to PTO, it's generally frowned upon to take multiple days off within your first months of work (unless it's something so planned in advance that you divulge this information when you're hired). I would definitely be annoyed if you were my employee and you were asking now to take more time off in addition to what you've already done. I understand the dental issues, but with the car issue, couldn't you have gotten a ride into work? With the venue, couldn't you call them on the phone or set up that time over the weekend (make it your first priority, don't let anything else "pop up"? Or send the groom or your MOH, or anyone?) The venue would absolutely work with you if you tell them you can't make it during work hours. They want your business and would work with you.

I have to agree with your manager that planning your time a little more wisely and also your priorities would help you immensly. It seems you definitley have a lot going on, but your work is going to suffer. Sure you can be doing a great job, but as someone else noted, you're already on the radar with your boss as someone who has taken too much time off as a newhire; someone who always has things popping up that interfere with your attendence at work. Your co-workers definitely notice also.

If you decide you must have your dental work done and visit the venue, absolutely be honest with your boss. You'll need to have a heart to heart with her and acknowledge all the time you've already taken off. I'd be totally honest. She needs to feel comfortable that you aren't just a flake. You're still pretty new and are proving yourself. I think lying will just backfire on you.

Best of luck to you and I do hope you have a fabulous wedding.

Old 08-23-2013, 06:52 PM

6,985 posts, read 7,041,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
No, the employee must use discretion in using it. She appears to be the rogue, and that is obvious by so many events so fast, plus a boss noticing her as unusual in that regard.
If she has vacation time or PTO that she hasn't used yet, then she should be allowed to take the time. A wedding is a once in a lifetime event. Admittedly, just before your wedding is not the ideal time to start a new job, but she might not have had a choice.

I think this is another employer vs employee thread.

Old 08-23-2013, 07:08 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,130,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
If she has vacation time or PTO that she hasn't used yet, then she should be allowed to take the time. A wedding is a once in a lifetime event. Admittedly, just before your wedding is not the ideal time to start a new job, but she might not have had a choice.

I think this is another employer vs employee thread.
Again you completely ignore the fact that there are probably rules around when to take the PTO. The only person in this thread making it an employee vs. employer is you.

Old 08-23-2013, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Again you completely ignore the fact that there are probably rules around when to take the PTO. The only person in this thread making it an employee vs. employer is you.
The OP gave no indication that she is out of PTO or that she broke any rules in using it.

Old 08-23-2013, 07:21 PM

Quote:
The OP gave no indication that she is out of PTO or that she broke any rules in using it.
She did. By saying "unplanned". How many places have you worked where you don't need to have PTO planned?

Old 08-23-2013, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
She did. By saying "unplanned". How many places have you worked where you don't need to have PTO planned?
Obviously you can't plan illnesses or car trouble or other misfortunes, and obviously you are expected to use PTO in those cases if you don't get seperate sick or personal time.

Old 08-23-2013, 10:10 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,964,008 times
Quote:
Obviously you can't plan illnesses or car trouble or other misfortunes, and obviously you are expected to use PTO in those cases if you don't get seperate sick or personal time.
A whole day off for car trouble, plus an excuse per month is far too much. Many employers would not simply advise the employee of the issue-they'd remind said employee what employment at will means.

Old 08-23-2013, 10:13 PM

Quote:
What does that have to do with taking time off to visit the wedding venue which is what the OP is asking about?

Old 08-23-2013, 10:31 PM

2,845 posts, read 6,011,351 times
Some jobs don't allow time off for the first 6 months, so while you accumulate it, you can't use it.

I agree why can't you just call the venue and straighten it out over the phone? If you need to see things tell them take a picture and email it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment