Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2013, 07:58 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,903,092 times

Advertisements

Shouldn't we be helping American software engineers (including some foreign born but educated here) get hired?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2013, 08:02 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,134,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
Shouldn't we be helping American software engineers (including some foreign born but educated here) get hired?
We should be helping everyone. Not a specific subset of people.

Old 08-22-2013, 11:16 PM

752 posts, read 1,164,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Companies with Indians and/or Chinese in executive level management include:

- Pepsi
- Johnson & Johnson
- News Corp
- Adobe Systems
- Deutsche Bank
- Bose

Btw, it's Citi, not City.
Btw I didn't heard ever about one company started buy Indians that is doing good. Wish you best in life but I will not have business whatsoever with you. I earned already decent money at Wall street betting that company will go down as soon is Indian Ceo. If you will be capable whatsoever you would make companies in yours county.

Old 08-22-2013, 11:27 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,134,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipitop View Post
Btw I didn't heard ever about one company started buy Indians that is doing good. Wish you best in life but I will not have business whatsoever with you. I earned already decent money at Wall street betting that company will go down as soon is Indian Ceo. If you will be capable whatsoever you would make companies in yours county.
There's a company on the list I provided started by an Indian several decades ago... and he was still running it until about a month ago. It seems like you don't know much about what you're talking about.

Btw, it's "by", not "buy".

Are you Indian or Chinese? Clearly, English is not your native language by the way you use it...

Old 08-23-2013, 03:05 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,703,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
Just because somebody has a degree, it doesn't mean they are capable.
Part of the problem, there, though, is that employers are no longer willing to allow themselves to understand the difference between different disciplines. Database, for example, is different from real time software programming, and that's different from user interface design, and that's different from algorithms design, etc. The software engineers looking for jobs didn't change the industry so that skills are so compartamentalized and specific, that systems are necessarily so complex that you need a team of experts across a number of disciplines to create a single system. The industry did that. The question you asked was a fair question for a good number of software developers, and an inappropriate question for a good number of other software developers. The question I have is whether your company was trying to fill a bunch of positions with one person, because your company is too cheap to actually pay for the number of developers they actually need. That's remarkably common these days.

Old 08-23-2013, 06:01 AM

752 posts, read 1,164,649 times
Quote:
We should be helping everyone. Not a specific subset of people.
No we should ban foreigner to do IT job in USA as is to many US IT workers unemployed. Especially we should jail "criminals" ( Mitt Romney at Fox News) that come in US at tourist visas and then study at expense of US citizens.

Old 08-23-2013, 06:06 AM

6,940 posts, read 9,677,788 times
Quote:
No we should ban foreigner to do IT job in USA as is to many US IT workers unemployed. Especially we should jail "criminals" ( Mitt Romney at Fox News) that come in US at tourist visas and then study at expense of US citizens.

Aren't you for the free market?

Old 08-23-2013, 08:54 AM

2,257 posts, read 5,187,292 times
Quote:
Well, he referred to good schools. CCNY is out.
I was referring to "good schools" not top tier schools. The top tier and Ivy are mostly out of reach for International students because they are very expensive. The ones that manage to get in, are either very rich back home, or get a scholarship to attend the school. If cost was not a prohibiting factor, you would see a lot more Asians in the top tier schools.

I don't have the stats to prove my 50% statistic, but I have had friends in good schools like SUNY Buffalo, SUNY Binghamton, Baruch, Syracuse Univ, Univ of Texas - Dallas, IIT Chicago, Georgia State, etc and each one had a vast majority of Asian students. This was back in early 2000's. I doubt the stats may have changed significantly.

Old 08-23-2013, 09:00 AM

1,339 posts, read 3,466,326 times
Quote:
I do not consider Indian and Chinese capable people. Especially Indians. And I'm sure they will tear down any company to ground if they are management. Just how happened with City group. Source - carpenter contractor that work with all possible races and nations. Especially with Indians I do not have any business. It is not imaginable that any Indian doctor will ever touch any one of my family.
Quote:
So your real beef is with anyone who is non-American. There isn't any point in even trying to present facts since your xenophobic vision has clouded your ability to have any rational discussion.

Old 08-23-2013, 09:29 AM

5,342 posts, read 6,166,341 times
Quote:
I attended a good university and have been involved with other good universities (comp eng, comp sci, human-computer interaction, physics, and economics) and I can honestly say that there's few foreign students and first generation immigrants. The ones that are first generation are 1.5 generation immigrants. There's a lot of second generation immigrants, however. Primarily from Asian and East European countries.
My brother just finished his CS Master's from Georgia Tech which is typically considered a top 5 MS program and he said 60-70% of the students in his class were immigrants or 1st generation Americans, so maybe it depends on where you are or if you are in undergrad or grad.

In my cohort in my PhD program there were 6 of us and 4 of the 6 were immigrants or first generation Americans. I think it gets more common the further up the education chain you go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment