Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2013, 08:48 AM

658 posts, read 1,554,143 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfskullpolo View Post
This has typically been my experience as well. Sounds a lot like what I have encountered.
"Making less money than if he went to college",
Yet he doesn't have $100,000+ IN STUDENT LOANS AND 4 YEARS OF HIS LIFE LOST.

So overall, with no college degree he's making A LOT MORE MONEY.

I got an MBA (Master's degree in Business Administration, if you didn't know) and it was a MASSIVE waste of money - if I'd have spent the same time and money into my business, I'd be a minimum of MILLIONS RICHER.

And for anyone who is still deluded thinking a college degree will get you a job, IT WON'T. Just Google "burning my diploma" or something similar to find millions of people posting how thier $100K college degree gave them NOTHING and they're unemployed or working at mcdonalds because no employers will hire them out of college with no experience.

Employers don't care about your fancy piece of paper. Employers want EXPERIENCE and APTITUDE. Something that you DON'T get from college.

Last edited by certsevtxert; 08-25-2013 at 08:56 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2013, 08:55 AM

3,070 posts, read 5,231,525 times
I think while there are a decent amount of people who are successful without schooling, it seems to be those who found school stood in the way of their smart business sense and not people who suck at social skills and don't have ambition.

Old 08-25-2013, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliss2 View Post
I think while there are a decent amount of people who are successful without schooling, it seems to be those who found school stood in the way of their smart business sense and not people who suck at social skills and don't have ambition.
Both Bill Gates and Steve Jobs (RIP) dropped out of college to move on to become the richest men in the world. And if it's worth mentioning, so did Mark Zuckerberg who is now the youngest billionaire in the world and is in the Forbes richest elite.

As for your social skills comment, Bill Gates and Zuckerberg are known for not being particularly socially apt.

Also, if you don't have ambition, a piece of paper saying you have a degree isn't going to help you any.

Old 08-25-2013, 09:14 AM

1,728 posts, read 3,550,016 times
Pretty the gates/jobs/zucherberg bs doesnt apply here. They made friends. They stepped into college or made their coonections. Theyre not loners.
Im pretty sure the OP's kid will not join the military or do sales or work in a big bank.
He will be a sad story

Old 08-25-2013, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRdad View Post
im pretty sure the OP's kid will not join the military or do sales or work in a big bank.
He will be a sad story
That's a very pessimistic view. You should focus on the power of positive thinking. It will change your life, if you actually listen and begin more positive thinking.

Old 08-25-2013, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by certsevtxert View Post
Both Bill Gates and Steve Jobs (RIP) dropped out of college to move on to become the richest men in the world. And if it's worth mentioning, so did Mark Zuckerberg who is now the youngest billionaire in the world and is in the Forbes richest elite.

As for your social skills comment, Bill Gates and Zuckerberg are known for not being particularly socially apt.

Also, if you don't have ambition, a piece of paper saying you have a degree isn't going to help you any.
I'm not one of those people who think education is the end-all of it, I had a good government job at 19 without college myself.

But Bill Gates, Steve Jobs and Zuckerberg are the extreme exceptions.

Old 08-25-2013, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliss2 View Post
I'm not one of those people who think education is the end-all of it, I had a good government job at 19 without college myself.

But Bill Gates, Steve Jobs and Zuckerberg are the extreme exceptions.
That's the excuse of a pauper who has low expectations and who will never be rich add long as they think like that.

Old 08-25-2013, 10:27 AM

Quote:
That's the excuse of a pauper who has low expectations and who will never be rich add long as they think like that.
I have two healthy children, a roof over their heads, and food on the table every day. That's good enough for me in this life. If you want to be Steve Jobs, you go right ahead.

Old 08-25-2013, 11:07 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,361,596 times
Default Wow that must have been some kind of school you went too...

Quote:
"Making less money than if he went to college",
Yet he doesn't have $100,000+ IN STUDENT LOANS AND 4 YEARS OF HIS LIFE LOST.

So overall, with no college degree he's making A LOT MORE MONEY.

I got an MBA (Master's degree in Business Administration, if you didn't know) and it was a MASSIVE waste of money - if I'd have spent the same time and money into my business, I'd be a minimum of MILLIONS RICHER.

And for anyone who is still deluded thinking a college degree will get you a job, IT WON'T. Just Google "burning my diploma" or something similar to find millions of people posting how thier $100K college degree gave them NOTHING and they're unemployed or working at mcdonalds because no employers will hire them out of college with no experience.

Employers don't care about your fancy piece of paper. Employers want EXPERIENCE and APTITUDE. Something that you DON'T get from college.
Millions, huh?

Old 08-25-2013, 11:56 AM

3,465 posts, read 4,838,177 times
Most self taught programmers who think they know it all are lost by the time they get into upper Sophomore level classes in college. They don't realize writing some lines of code is the easy part. It is making efficient data structures, algorithms, etc. that is important. His math skills are probably limited to high school level so he has never seen propositional logic, probability or studied numerical analysis of rounding errors caused by binary arithmetic. He has probably never even seen logic design using gates in computer hardware to understand what your code is manipulating and possible pitfalls.

Every once in a while a genius does come along that also has a good business sense. These are the Bill Gates, Steve Jobs types that end up making it big but those are extremely rare. You are more likely to win the lottery than to strike it big without college. We are talking about a number of people you can count on one hand out of the millions and millions of computer programmers in the world. Keep in mind those guys all came up with an idea and started their own company. To say since those few guys made it big after dropping out of college means "anyone" can do it, is being very very naive.

It is possible the guy may find a job in an IT department somewhere at entry level without a degree. He will most likely start out at a low salary because the big corporations love to take advantage of these guys. The guys he went to high school with that aren't as smart as him will get degrees in the next 5 years and start out at a salary above where he will have moved up to through raises. They will then advance up within the company forever staying above him and at some point he will hit a brick wall where he can't advance any further without a degree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment