Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2013, 11:13 AM

2,628 posts, read 4,610,381 times

Advertisements

I interviewed with a company a month ago. At the interview they had basically asked me illegal questions, as in am I married and do I have kids. The interviewer noted he asked because the department the position was open in was mainly older mothers who tend to have to take time off for kids a lot. I didn't note to them that the line of questioning was illegal to ask (I should have though) but I always seem to notice it tends to be men over 55 that ask these questions. I can only assume it's because 10 -20 or so years ago they were allowed to ask such questions.

Because of this, I bowed out of the 2nd interview when they called me last week (with no contact in between the months time either) plus I already have an offer on the table, just waiting to be sent the offer letter.

Is this still a common theme of employers asking illegal questions? I've been asked a few in my time including some questions I felt were none of the interviewer's business (such as what the other companies I was interviewing with process was for hiring). Is this going on with anyone else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2013, 11:38 AM

6,131 posts, read 7,986,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss J 74 View Post
I interviewed with a company a month ago. At the interview they had basically asked me illegal questions, as in am I married and do I have kids. The interviewer noted he asked because the department the position was open in was mainly older mothers who tend to have to take time off for kids a lot. I didn't note to them that the line of questioning was illegal to ask (I should have though) but I always seem to notice it tends to be men over 55 that ask these questions. I can only assume it's because 10 -20 or so years ago they were allowed to ask such questions.

Because of this, I bowed out of the 2nd interview when they called me last week (with no contact in between the months time either) plus I already have an offer on the table, just waiting to be sent the offer letter.

Is this still a common theme of employers asking illegal questions? I've been asked a few in my time including some questions I felt were none of the interviewer's business (such as what the other companies I was interviewing with process was for hiring). Is this going on with anyone else?
It's actually not illegal to ask those questions, but it is very very foolish to do so. What's illegal is basing hiring decisions on the answers.

Of course, it is logical to infer that asking these kinds of questions during an interview might at least create the appearance of illegal discrimination, which is why it is foolish to ask them, and why any employer with any common sense wouldn't do so. I don't think it's common, especially not among any larger companies.

Old 08-26-2013, 11:38 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,011,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss J 74 View Post

The minute they asked you that you should have said......"you know I think we are done here, and thank you for the invite but I don't this company is a good match for me."

No way in hell should they have been asking those questions

Old 08-26-2013, 12:20 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,696,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnp292 View Post
It's actually not illegal to ask those questions, but it is very very foolish to do so. What's illegal is basing hiring decisions on the answers.
I was asked one such question several years ago when applying for a position as Executive Secretary to the President of a large corporation. He prefaced the question with, "I know I really shouldn't ask this but ...", I fully understood the reason for the question and had no problem answering it honestly. I went on to work for this man for 10 years in a job which was one of the best I ever had and enjoyed to the max.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
The minute they asked you that you should have said......"you know I think we are done here, and thank you for the invite but I don't this company is a good match for me."

This is just a repetition of poor advice which you've given time and time before when responding to similar questions. The whole tone of such a response is unnecessarily rude and crude for so many reasons and simply demonstrates gross immaturity. The polite way to respond to such questions is, "I hope you'll understand that I'm not comfortable answering that question" and then continue on with the interview. As poster johnp292 points out, though, it's not illegal to ask such questions and unless there's some valid reason why you choose not to answer, then just respond honestly.

Old 08-26-2013, 12:39 PM

2,533 posts, read 4,603,208 times
Quote:

My first reaction to a response like that? Poor attitude.

No wonder you were unemployed as long as you were...

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
The whole tone of such a response is unnecessarily rude and crude for so many reasons and simply demonstrates gross immaturity.
Indeed.

Old 08-26-2013, 12:44 PM

2,421 posts, read 4,318,327 times
Yeah it's not an illegal question, I really don't think illegal question really exist.

It's the action of not hiring someone based on discrimation that is illegal. Even then though, it's many times hard to prove (and not worth the fight) to take it to court.

Old 08-26-2013, 01:12 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoist123 View Post
Yeah it's not an illegal question, I really don't think illegal question really exist.

It's the action of not hiring someone based on discrimation that is illegal. Even then though, it's many times hard to prove (and not worth the fight) to take it to court.

But the question has nothing to do with the job

Old 08-26-2013, 01:24 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,696,895 times
Quote:
But the question has nothing to do with the job
And your point?

Old 08-26-2013, 01:29 PM

2,421 posts, read 4,318,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
And your point?
Right. I am have been asked sometimes as well where I grew up. Has nothing to do with the job, but what's the problem with answering it?

In all honesty, I can see in certain situations why they ask it and I think it's for the better. If it's a demanding job that might at some point require a lot of travel, it's important to know that information.

How can a job provide an ideal work life balance, if they don't get a little insight into your life? Nothing personal but the basics.

Old 08-26-2013, 01:42 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoist123 View Post
Right. I am have been asked sometimes as well where I grew up. Has nothing to do with the job, but what's the problem with answering it?

In all honesty, I can see in certain situations why they ask it and I think it's for the better. If it's a demanding job that might at some point require a lot of travel, it's important to know that information.

How can a job provide an ideal work life balance, if they don't get a little insight into your life? Nothing personal but the basics.
\

Where you grew up is not prying into your personal business just small talk. I just don't see how someone would not be turned off if asked that in a interview
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment