Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How many hours of actual, real, hard work do you do per week?
Less than 10 9 16.07%
10-20 9 16.07%
20-25 hours 5 8.93%
25-30 hours 4 7.14%
30-35 hours 5 8.93%
35-40 hours 4 7.14%
40-45 hours 6 10.71%
More than 45 hours 14 25.00%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2013, 09:18 PM

1,006 posts, read 2,215,925 times

Advertisements

Well the first hour is for enjoying a cup of coffee and reading the news online. Get up walk around to be seen, then settle in for an hour or so of work. Drop a deuce for 30 minutes. Slip out early for lunch and a one hour nap. Get back when others are at lunch and just read CD or general Internet. Grab a quick after lunch meeting with a few nods of agreement and back to the cube. Time for a coffee break and another hour on the internet, maybe even dosing off at my desk for a few minutes. Walk around and be seen again, then get ready to sneak out early. 3 to 4 hours tops. Anyone working more is a sucker.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2013, 09:28 PM

30 posts, read 56,447 times
Outside Sales.... Probably 15-20 hours of actual work. Other time consists of traveling b2b and getting home before 2 everyday

Old 08-27-2013, 09:39 PM

2,845 posts, read 6,013,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cocaseco View Post
Well the first hour is for enjoying a cup of coffee and reading the news online. Get up walk around to be seen, then settle in for an hour or so of work. Drop a deuce for 30 minutes. Slip out early for lunch and a one hour nap. Get back when others are at lunch and just read CD or general Internet. Grab a quick after lunch meeting with a few nods of agreement and back to the cube. Time for a coffee break and another hour on the internet, maybe even dosing off at my desk for a few minutes. Walk around and be seen again, then get ready to sneak out early. 3 to 4 hours tops. Anyone working more is a sucker.
LMAO that was funny.

Since Friday I have been BUGGING my boss for more work. We are kind of in a lull at work, I'm not the only one bored. Today he gave me a few more hours of work to do, which I was done with in 2 hours, and then just had a meeting, so after that I spent my time browsing the net, reading the news, listening to an ebook, and then finally asked another coworker if she needed help and she gave me some work to do (told my boss and he said he appreciated me asking others if they needed help).

So now I have work to do tomorrow...

I joked and asked my boss if he was trying to get rid of me he was like NO WAY! lol. He was like I know you are getting a little bored, please don't quit lol.

Old 08-27-2013, 09:47 PM

35,072 posts, read 31,302,097 times
I am paid for two fifteen minute breaks daily, so only "on the clock" for seven and a half hours per day and thirty seven and a half hours per week. During the last hour and a half of my shift, I usually probably end up with a half hour to an hour of slow time. I'm probably pushing it for thirty-two to thirty-four hours per week, not counting my two hour daily commute.

Old 08-27-2013, 11:23 PM

162 posts, read 348,993 times
50+ because we can't seem to get stuff to work right which causes work to come through slower and management says FINISH IT ALL!

Old 08-28-2013, 07:22 AM

303 posts, read 595,674 times
Well, let's see. I'm paid for 40 hours in a week.

My lunch hour is paid, so that brings me down to 35hrs a week of actual work.

Granted, workflow changes depending on what's going on. For instance, it's dead as a doornail at work this week because of the upcoming holiday. Also, we concluded our biggest convention of the year a couple of weeks ago, so most departments are recuperating for the next few weeks.

That said, I have plenty of small tasks I can do. Those small tasks involve setting up scripts and letting them run. It's all honest work but I can check e-mail or browse CD easily while it's going on and not impact workflow.

Other times, it's crazy busy and I put in closer to the full 40-45 hours a week. During the convention I was logging fully active 15hr days.

Old 08-28-2013, 07:58 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,842,883 times
I interpret the question to be "what percentage of the hours that you are paid for are you actually working ?" If that is the question, I am working 99%-100%. Since I am retired but have gone back to work, the hours per week I am scheduled varies from 32-40. Of those hours I "work" all of them. I do not take breaks, if I chat with another employee it is just a brief, in passing conversation, and I don't goof off.

To be honest, I wasn't always that way, when I was younger I worked hard but also chatted, made phone calls, relaxed, etc. It is only since I have gotten older that I keep working the entire time I am at work. In fact, the managers at my job will come on the little radios we all wear and tell me to go take a break occasionally. It is not that I am super employee or anything, but I just enjoy my job and find the day goes by quicker if I stay constantly busy.

Don

Old 08-28-2013, 08:41 AM

2,794 posts, read 2,933,605 times
This sums it up right here.... =)

Peter Gibbons: Well, I generally come in at least fifteen minutes late, ah, I use the side door - that way Lumbergh can't see me, heh heh - and, uh, after that I just sorta space out for about an hour.
Bob Porter: uh? Space out?
Peter Gibbons: Yeah, I just stare at my desk; but it looks like I'm working. I do that for probably another hour after lunch, too. I'd say in a given week I probably only do about fifteen minutes of real, actual, work.

Old 08-28-2013, 12:52 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,894,412 times
Has anyone here ever held a trade in which physical labor was involved or you were sent home for good? I don't see much here to compare.

Americans got lazy and illegals now do those jobs. I see people who act so drained from work you would believe they carried steel beams up 20 stories bare handed for 8 hours without a break. Ha! The toughest thing they did was jog across the street for a hot dog.

We have people complaining that they can't find work but they don't want to get in the mud and dirt or stand in the hot or cold. They then complain about their boss who requires them to look like they are working at the very least.

Coddle, coddle.

Old 08-28-2013, 12:55 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
Has anyone here ever held a trade in which physical labor was involved or you were sent home for good? I don't see much here to compare.

Americans got lazy and illegals now do those jobs. I see people who act so drained from work you would believe they carried steel beams up 20 stories bare handed for 8 hours without a break. Ha! The toughest thing they did was jog across the street for a hot dog.

We have people complaining that they can't find work but they don't want to get in the mud and dirt or stand in the hot or cold. They then complain about their boss who requires them to look like they are working at the very least.

Coddle, coddle.

people have the right not to get in the mud or dirt, especially if they have a nice background
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment