Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2013, 01:21 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakotaxx View Post
I don't envy you, I'm not sure how I would handle public speaking.
The only advice I can think of is to read articles and watch some clips (YouTube maybe)? Good luck.

And I don't want to be a nervous wreck and make her look bad because I have heard how she has nothing but good things to say about me so in a way I'm flattered but still nervous as hell
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2013, 01:22 PM

93 posts, read 332,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
If I could rep you again stt I would. Love it.

Old 08-26-2013, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnp292 View Post
I looked it up for you. Season 2. Episode 17. "Dwight's Speech"

I'm confused and annoyed at the same time because I'm thinking I am putting on a suit to go to a annual breakfast but now I know I would have any appetitte to eat because all I will be thinking about is talking on stage.

So that day I might as well focus on lunch and dinner

Old 08-26-2013, 01:28 PM

6,131 posts, read 7,987,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
I'm confused and annoyed at the same time because I'm thinking I am putting on a suit to go to a annual breakfast but now I know I would have any appetitte to eat because all I will be thinking about is talking on stage.

Well you know in that case there's an episode of The Big Bang Theory wherein Sheldon has to give a speech and he's all nervous about it. Penny helps him pick out a new suit and then helps him with his nerves just before the presentation. That might be another way for you to go.

Old 08-26-2013, 01:29 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
Quote:

It's a terrible dilemma. Maybe you should go to your doctor and get a mild sedative to help you in the days and weeks beforehand while you're preparing. Look on the bright side about not having any breakfast - your luck you'd end up with a loud fart or a big belch explosively interrupting a pregnant pause in your speech. Probably best not to have dinner the night before either. You can make up for it, as you say, at lunch and dinner once this ordeal is over.

Old 08-26-2013, 01:30 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,927,543 times
I recommend practising at Toastmasters as well.

Old 08-26-2013, 01:31 PM

45,382 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Quote:

Oh for God's sake.

I hope you note that I gave you credit (I assumed) that you know who Benito Mussolini was. You have likely taken US History (high school and college) along with World History (again both high school and college) where he would have at least been mentioned more than once.

If I made a mistake in assuming you knew, well I just don't know what to say.

I do public speaking every day. You're just going to have to suck it up.

And PRACTICE. A lot. So much you really won't need your notes. Do it in front of a mirror to merge your gestures with your words. Have a friend(s) time and critique you numerous times. Practice your pacing so you aren't talking too fast or slow. Modulate your voice so you aren't doing a monotone.

Old 08-26-2013, 01:32 PM

6,131 posts, read 7,987,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnp292 View Post
Well you know in that case there's an episode of The Big Bang Theory wherein Sheldon has to give a speech and he's all nervous about it. Penny helps him pick out a new suit and then helps him with his nerves just before the presentation. That might be another way for you to go.
It's called "The Pants Alternative". I think it was from the 2010 season.

Old 08-26-2013, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Oh for God's sake.

I hope you note that I gave you credit (I assumed) that you know who Benito Mussolini was. You have likely taken US History (high school and college) along with World History (again both high school and college) where he would have at least been mentioned more than once.

If I made a mistake in assuming you knew, well I just don't know what to say.

I do public speaking every day. You're just going to have to suck it up.

And PRACTICE. A lot. So much you really won't need your notes. Do it in front of a mirror to merge your gestures with your words. Have a friend(s) time and critique you numerous times. Practice your pacing so you aren't talking too fast or slow. Modulate your voice so you aren't doing a monotone.

She said it will a lot of talking points I will be going over and will tell me more about it as we get closer to 11/4. What type of public speaking do you do?

Old 08-26-2013, 01:36 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
Here's a listing of Toastmasters in Philly - looks like there are several close to where you live:

Find a Club Results - Toastmasters International

Plenty of time for you join and get going.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment