Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2013, 05:18 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,515,094 times

Advertisements

Still curious about the small details I asked about in an earlier post - who exactly you're addressing, how many people, etc. How long is your presentation supposed to last - five minutes, an hour or more?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2013, 05:56 AM

11,754 posts, read 14,592,066 times
Public speaking is difficult, and i don't envy you in the position you're in.

You don't say how much advance notice you have for giving this speech, but I encourage you to start preparing now. Especially if you are nervous you should have everything written out and practice it many times, first in the privacy of your own home, then in front of your boss, your spouse or friends, or groups of colleagues.

Anticipate questions.

Don't try to make jokes or be funny unless you are a naturally funny person, and even then don't do it.

Finally, once you have this experience under your belt, look for opportunities to do it again. Because public speaking is so terrifying for people, being able and willing to do it, and to do it effectively, is a valuable career skill. It could lead to opportunities for advancement you would never have anticipated.

Old 08-27-2013, 07:27 AM

15,697 posts, read 9,442,047 times
If the public speaking in is Novemeber and it's August now, I'm not sure how you got blind sided by it. Regardless, take a glass of water up on stage. When I get nervous, my mouth gets dry. You've got plenty of time to practice and come up with the right things to say. Ask advice of others you look up to as good speakers, including your boss. And be natural. If you're typically light hearted, be that way while giving your presentation.

Old 08-27-2013, 07:41 AM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 58,858,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
Public speaking is difficult, and i don't envy you in the position you're in.

You don't say how much advance notice you have for giving this speech, but I encourage you to start preparing now. Especially if you are nervous you should have everything written out and practice it many times, first in the privacy of your own home, then in front of your boss, your spouse or friends, or groups of colleagues.

Anticipate questions.

Don't try to make jokes or be funny unless you are a naturally funny person, and even then don't do it.

Finally, once you have this experience under your belt, look for opportunities to do it again. Because public speaking is so terrifying for people, being able and willing to do it, and to do it effectively, is a valuable career skill. It could lead to opportunities for advancement you would never have anticipated.

It's on Monday, November 4th so I have some time but I know I won't get much sleep that night

Old 08-27-2013, 07:43 AM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 58,858,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
If the public speaking in is Novemeber and it's August now, I'm not sure how you got blind sided by it. Regardless, take a glass of water up on stage. When I get nervous, my mouth gets dry. You've got plenty of time to practice and come up with the right things to say. Ask advice of others you look up to as good speakers, including your boss. And be natural. If you're typically light hearted, be that way while giving your presentation.

I guess i felt I was blinded because I was thinking I was just putting on a suit to attend a event that involved me eating breakfast and watching people talk.

Had no idea I would be part of the presentation.

Old 08-27-2013, 08:26 AM

643 posts, read 1,308,638 times
Join Toastmasters. Someone has already posted a link on page 1 or 2. You will get a "sponsor" and you can work with them.

If your group is receptive you might even be able to say your speech in front of them and allow them to critique you. Good luck and make sure you keep the ummm's to a minimum!

Old 08-27-2013, 08:31 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,515,094 times
Toastmasters will also clean up your grammar as well as your presentation and correct such ear-bending gaffes as "I seen" to, "I've seen", etc. Your family, friends and coworkers may feel reluctant to correct but at Toastmasters you won't run into that problem.

Old 08-27-2013, 09:14 AM

16,715 posts, read 19,332,080 times
Talking Payback is hell

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
I was informed today that I have to speak at a public event held at the Phialdelphia Electric Company and I already have anxiety just thinking about it. I did everything I could all year in 2012 to avoid a job that has public speaking but I see that I have been blinded-sided by this and I just feel like throwing up because I never had to speak to a large crowd at a public event/

It's the agency's annual event and I am suppposed to do a presentation on job searching in 2013. To anyone else who has to do public speaking, is it nerve racking for you also? Or does planning and preparing well make you less nervous?
Should be interesting to see how well your speech is received by the masses. With any luck you'll have to submit your outline to your supervisors so they can see what kind of advice you're going to give, and then hell will really break loose.

Old 08-27-2013, 09:19 AM

16,715 posts, read 19,332,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenrule2 View Post
It's extremely hard to competently complete a public presentation on a topic you know nothing about.
THIS!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment