Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2013, 11:09 PM

213 posts, read 503,960 times

Advertisements

Gotta vent a little bit. I totally broke down today. I feel like ****. I deactivated my Facebook account because I get so depressed signing in and seeing my friends who are enjoying their 20's because they're in good careers with good futures and good money and they can just cruise confidently through life, while I feel like right now I'm starting my life over and I'm going to have to waste my 20's rebuilding from square one. I feel like I'm right where I was when I graduated high school. I'm living in my old room in my parents' house. I'm becoming a recluse because I feel like such a loser. I applied to work at several warehouses in the area. This'll help me pay my bills, but it's not getting me anywhere towards a good career and actually making something of my college education. I feel like all the doors to good careers have been shut off to me. I always thought I was smart, but I guess I just don't have what it takes to succeed in the world.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2013, 11:34 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,083,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AStalkingButler View Post
Gotta vent a little bit. I totally broke down today. I feel like ****. I deactivated my Facebook account because I get so depressed signing in and seeing my friends who are enjoying their 20's because they're in good careers with good futures and good money and they can just cruise confidently through life, while I feel like right now I'm starting my life over and I'm going to have to waste my 20's rebuilding from square one. I feel like I'm right where I was when I graduated high school. I'm living in my old room in my parents' house. I'm becoming a recluse because I feel like such a loser. I applied to work at several warehouses in the area. This'll help me pay my bills, but it's not getting me anywhere towards a good career and actually making something of my college education. I feel like all the doors to good careers have been shut off to me. I always thought I was smart, but I guess I just don't have what it takes to succeed in the world.
If it makes you feel any better, I know people in their 50s who have stagnated in their careers, tried to change careers and failed, and have not been able to find jobs for years and they are living with THEIR parents. Others are still living in shared rooms of houses by themselves.

Oh ... and are divorced, widowed, or never married.

These are all people with college degrees.

It's a tough world. That's why I NEVER question a person's efforts to better themselves, no matter how unconventional the path might be. And I never judge people for their success/failure. Because it could easily be me too.

Hang in there. You're a puppy. Figure out where you want to be in 10-15 years, and take the steps to make it happen.

Old 08-26-2013, 11:37 PM

3,199 posts, read 7,823,988 times
I am sorry you are feeling this way. A lot of people are in your situation. Instead of looking at it as wasted time since you graduating can you try to learn from the mistakes and move forward? What did you get a degree in? What made you pick a warehouse position and are there any other type of positions that can help you get employment with what your degree is in?

Old 08-26-2013, 11:44 PM

176 posts, read 520,723 times
Quote:
I always thought I was smart, but I guess I just don't have what it takes to succeed in the world.
Get a pet. Something to "look after", and that will be happy to have you around. Focus on something outside of yourself. A cat or dog would cheer you up.

Old 08-27-2013, 04:28 AM

209 posts, read 292,355 times
jobaba has a great point about people being in similar positions. You're young. You can recover from this. I know that's easy to say, however, I'm going through a lot of the same issues myself. What I do to keep from falling into the trap of despair is I keep busy either exercising or going back over my old college textbooks and relearning what I've forgotten.

You can't become a recluse. You still need to be getting out there. If anything, being out and about will make you feel more normal, more human.

Old 08-27-2013, 06:07 AM

8,016 posts, read 5,853,160 times
My advice is pretty simple. The one thing I wish I had done when I was your age -- and it wasn't as easy then as it is now -- is network myself to people outside of my peer group. I was comfortable with my peer group, but when I was in my 20's, I viewed people in their 30's and 40's and even 50's as people that couldn't really help me.

But trust me, THOSE are exactly the kinds of people that can help you, and even better, ENJOY helping people in their 20's just starting out. Yes, there are times it is easier to meet them when you are employed, but even if you're not, it is still manageable.

My advice is pick out an industry (or even better, a company) that you have an interest in. Sign up for LinkedIn, and then send invites to people in that company. Lay it all out for them -- tell them you are a recent college grad, and are interested in a career in whatever field it is, and ask them if they would consider "Linking In" to you and helping you with your job search. Sure, some will say no, but the large majority of people that are presented with an opportunity to be helpful in a situation like that will do it. A lot of times they will think back to when THEY were first starting out.

Don't become a recluse, because unless your name is Howard Hughes (ask your parents about him), it doesn't pay the bills. You have to get yourself out there and the more you do that, the faster it will happen. There are several employment groups in the Triangle that are just can help you make connections as well.

And on a serious note (and perhaps the pic you used was in jest), be careful about self-medicating yourself through the bottle. I owned a bar for 7 years, and had a front row seat to a lot of movies just like yours. As I used to tell my own bartenders, "Drink to celebrate, not to drown your sorrows."

Old 08-27-2013, 02:14 PM

2,702 posts, read 2,763,629 times
Been through it just like you but I always had something to keep me happy- like my uncle, my dog, or just sitting with my grandmother to watch TV. I agree- don't become a recluse.

Old 08-27-2013, 02:34 PM

2,279 posts, read 4,742,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntwrkguy1 View Post
My advice is pretty simple. The one thing I wish I had done when I was your age -- and it wasn't as easy then as it is now -- is network myself to people outside of my peer group. I was comfortable with my peer group, but when I was in my 20's, I viewed people in their 30's and 40's and even 50's as people that couldn't really help me.

But trust me, THOSE are exactly the kinds of people that can help you, and even better, ENJOY helping people in their 20's just starting out. Yes, there are times it is easier to meet them when you are employed, but even if you're not, it is still manageable.

My advice is pick out an industry (or even better, a company) that you have an interest in. Sign up for LinkedIn, and then send invites to people in that company. Lay it all out for them -- tell them you are a recent college grad, and are interested in a career in whatever field it is, and ask them if they would consider "Linking In" to you and helping you with your job search. Sure, some will say no, but the large majority of people that are presented with an opportunity to be helpful in a situation like that will do it. A lot of times they will think back to when THEY were first starting out.

Don't become a recluse, because unless your name is Howard Hughes (ask your parents about him), it doesn't pay the bills. You have to get yourself out there and the more you do that, the faster it will happen. There are several employment groups in the Triangle that are just can help you make connections as well.
THIS. This is great advice.

Old 08-27-2013, 06:22 PM

93 posts, read 332,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom2020 View Post
Get a pet. Something to "look after", and that will be happy to have you around. Focus on something outside of yourself. A cat or dog would cheer you up.
That's a great idea except what if the pet becomes ill or breaks/ sprains a leg? I only say this because I recently had a scare with my dog - she pulled a muscle and thankfully it didn't get worse, but what if it didn't. I don't even want to think about that, plus daily food etc. other than those reasons a dog or cat is wonderful. My pets love me being home and they're always happy to see me.
Maybe you could volunteer at a animal rescue or shelter? That would also give you something to put on your résumé and maybe you could impress a girl?
Just a thought....

Old 08-27-2013, 06:43 PM

2,349 posts, read 5,433,402 times
Quote:
I'm starting my life over and I'm going to have to waste my 20's rebuilding from square one.
You're a lucky guy. You're starting over. You're in your 20s. You live at home fairly cheaply. Presumably you're happy. You have friends. Your life is ahead of you.

You have 97% of what comprises happiness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment