Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2013, 03:00 PM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,704,652 times

Advertisements

Of course life isn't fair, but that doesn't mean we should turn a blind eye to economic injustice, nor does it mean we shouldn't take steps to ensure that no one is unable to afford basic essentials because of society's structural inadequacies.

Old 08-30-2013, 03:07 PM

827 posts, read 1,089,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
Of course life isn't fair, but that doesn't mean we should turn a blind eye to economic injustice, nor does it mean we shouldn't take steps to ensure that no one is unable to afford basic essentials because of society's structural inadequacies.
No one forced them to sign up. Burger flipper jobs are low skill high turnover one that don't get big money.

Oh...and economic injustice?

laugh harder - YouTube

Old 08-30-2013, 05:06 PM

421 posts, read 880,057 times
Quote:
I know a lot of those protesting yesterday were viewing the protest as a protest for living wages for those specific jobs, but I disagree. I think anyone who is viewing this protest as the precursor of a serious move toward the final resolution to the problem is missing the point, which is the fact that business has been allowed to exploit its power position in the employee/employer labor market for 30-40 years to corrupt the balance, resulting in an unsustainable lack of living wage jobs in the economy. The idea isn't to have a burger flipper paid what an accountant gets paid, but rather to have the burger flipper job filled exclusively with teenagers, college students between classes, elderly workers looking to supplement social security a bit, etc., because the folks who are currently doing that job, family heads of household among them, are instead working living wage jobs (which currently don't exist because of the aforementioned imbalance).

So in the end, the point is to highlight the utterly inexcusable imbalance in our labor market. That's what needs to be rectified. There is no excuse society can give for the current situation where folks willing to work to support themselves and their families are still unable to find a living wage job that they can do and do well.

And how do you expect McDonald's management to rectify this problem?

Old 08-30-2013, 05:18 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,585,128 times
Quote:
I don't know what's funnier; you crediting Reagan, the liar, for the decade-long boom that started four years after he left office, or making inane personal comments about things you would have no chance of knowing about, underscoring your willingness to spew ignorant nonsense.
Wow perhaps you should of paid attention in history class. Reagan took what was left of the economy from carter and turned it around. I know I worked through it. I also bought a house at 12%. thank you carter. Reagan turned it around and the economy boomed into the Clinton administration.

Old 08-30-2013, 05:30 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,894,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrviking View Post
Wow perhaps you should of paid attention in history class. Reagan took what was left of the economy from carter and turned it around. I know I worked through it. I also bought a house at 12%. thank you carter. Reagan turned it around and the economy boomed into the Clinton administration.
But it started to crack under Clinton too. Remember the dot.coms that were the stock darlings from the late 90's? You know the companies that many people invested in with their 401ks because their co-workers did because of their earnings early on? Yeah, by 2000/01 they caused the first of three recessions in the 2000's. The same one many people forget to credit Clinton and rather blame it on Dubya.

Old 08-30-2013, 05:41 PM

2,438 posts, read 7,012,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wargamer6 View Post
By going to the grocery store, buying meat, and cooking it ourselves.

Haa haa seriously .. your making me laugh with that.. These days no one can even boil water let alone cook a hamburger... EVERYONE goes out to eat... those that cook at home are a dying breed.. look for them in a museum in due time to show us what people looked like when they used to cook at home.

Old 08-30-2013, 07:57 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,894,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man in SATX View Post
Haa haa seriously .. your making me laugh with that.. These days no one can even boil water let alone cook a hamburger... EVERYONE goes out to eat... those that cook at home are a dying breed.. look for them in a museum in due time to show us what people looked like when they used to cook at home.
I am 26 and still cook stuff at home. Now sure I may use Prego for my white, vodka or tomato sauce and not make my pasta by hand but I'll do home-made lasagna, eggplant parm, stove-top BBQ chicken. I think for a majority cooking is a dying breed (just because people want things now) BUT there are relics out there who are even young-ins.

Old 08-30-2013, 07:58 PM

1,657 posts, read 4,070,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRdad View Post
dude...so dumb, .....duh. ....duh
...better duh
come on kid
gotcha

Quote:
So you are saying that everyone eats out and no one cooks.
Your logic is stunning

Old 08-30-2013, 08:09 PM

726 posts, read 1,229,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
There are stupid people in this world and they make a career out of fast food. They do need a living wage, and we're lucky to have them or else no one else would do the job so how would we get our burgers?
Cook for yourself and live longer and healthier.

Old 08-30-2013, 08:37 PM

35,692 posts, read 21,049,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingo_pink View Post
Life expectancy is increasing so you're 60s aren't even that old anymore. 60's is like the 40's of older times.

A lot of those college students had either ZERO advice into their decision of where to go or HORRIBLE advice. I love watching the ones who went to a $50,000 per year school just to get another of ten million sociology majors and then complain that they're $200,000 in debt.

This isn't 1813. There are no inhumane and unfair practices happening to workers in the developed world at least.

The one thing I do agree that has to change is to stop employing illegal immigrants. If you're not here legally, you shouldn't have any rights at all really.
\

\ Really?? sexual harrasment/ military gals being raped/ women can't make equal pay/ overtime with OUT pay/ teachers having to pay for pencils/ threats of violence / humman trafficking and smuggling into the USA-- what world do you live in--- ohhhh not a min wage one...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment