Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2013, 06:27 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,178,625 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by long beach finest View Post
A lot of people say that unemployment checks and welfare "degrade" a mans spirit, his soul and other principled nonsense that society repeats. This question is especially to people with college degrees doing these "degrading" stop gap jobs etc. A lot of jobs our there are crappy, their pay is terrible and they're dead end. To add insult to injury the social environment is horrible; the boss, customers and so-workers are disrespectful *******s. God forbid any of your friends, family or or even enemies see you- I'm sorry, but I find a lot of these jobs that people have to do in "emergencies to be degrading and even worse then welfare itself.

Im am in this position right now and everyday seems like a slow death. I cant wait to get a decent entry level job so I can stop lying to friends and family and have some self respect. Anyways; I cant be the only one who disagrees.
To me, it would be more degrading to get a handout for doing nothing than actually working to earn the check, regardless of the work. As long as I am working I have a chance to prove I am worth a better job for more money. I can't do that on unemployment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2013, 06:33 AM

2,702 posts, read 2,754,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
I believe UC is paying the bills while they are looking for the perfect job
I don't believe in sucking the system dry, sorry. If I can get something that can put money in my pocket and pay some of my bills, I would take it until that perfect job comes.

Old 08-29-2013, 08:59 AM

4,505 posts, read 6,467,301 times
Boy people today are soft!

I do what I have to do to better myself...if anyone makes fun of me for doing a job they feel is beneath them, I just laugh to myself because chances are that I've lost more than they will ever have. ***** happens to the best of us...but the true best of us pick ourselves up and do what's necessary to get back up where we want to be. If that means doing jobs we don't like so be it!

The thing is to do the job to the best of your ability...there's no slacking because you feel like you're better than the job. If you were truly better than the job then you'd have a better job right?

You won't ever get rich off welfare/handouts, but you can from hard work...often by doing what others won't.

Now, in doing those lowly jobs, you must also have an exit plan for the next step up...your goal shouldn't be to just stay in that job forever, that's called giving up.

FWIW there is no PERFECT JOB! If you're holding out for it then you're just plain lazy and foolish....Cousin Eddie Syndrome!

Old 08-29-2013, 09:03 AM

163 posts, read 501,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boner View Post
I will say when supporting a family i had to opt for UC until it ran out because the jobs i was offered paid less. I absolutely could not justify working a job with compensation that was less than what i was getting from an Unemployment claim

And that should be the point here. Not "pride" (which is a stupid egocentric emotion). Why would anyone in their right mind work full time doing something that isn't even closely related to what their career has evolved to AND get paid less than they would be if they collected Unemployment and continued to look for work in the same vein of their career?

And for all you naysayer, Rush-Limbaugh watching Republicants, looking for a job is a FULL time job. At least if you're doing it right (networking, sending out dynamic resumes). I worked harder finding a job than I did when I actually had a job. I wasn't sitting around watching Days of Our Lives, eating ice cream and playing videogames.

In the end, I ended up getting a job that pays less than my last job and is on independent contractor status but at least it's in the ballpark of what I do and not greeting customers at Walmart for minimum wage.

Old 08-29-2013, 09:08 AM

4,505 posts, read 6,467,301 times
^^^Just how do you justify turning this political? Or do you equate having good work Ethics with somehow being a bad thing?

Old 08-29-2013, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborgt800 View Post
^^^Just how do you justify turning this political? Or do you equate having good work Ethics with somehow being a bad thing?
It is political or were you asleep during the months leading up to the Mitt Romney election?

Old 08-29-2013, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
No one is supposed to take a emergency job when receiving unemployment, you look for the RIGHT JOB.

The purpose of UC is to find the right job not any job.
I think hell just froze over. I agree with this completely.

Old 08-29-2013, 09:38 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,552,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeAsAngels View Post
I think hell just froze over. I agree with this completely.
I think he slipped up as he usually uses "perfect" and not "right".

Old 08-29-2013, 09:38 AM

3,070 posts, read 5,219,500 times
Talk about your biggest first world problem ever.

I worked in a donut shop in between well-paid ($25/hr+) government jobs and sure, it's not fun wearing a hairnet once you've had 1.5 hour paid breaks but geez, get over yourself and get to work!

Old 08-29-2013, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deposite View Post
Maybe because some people don't want to be on UC for the rest of their life? Coming up with strategies is good but something has to pay the bills.

And the beauty here is that if you don't want to go on unemployment, you don't have to! Ta da! It's really that simple.

It's just an option for people who lost their job through no fault of their own. And it's not possible for someone to be on unemployment for the rest of their life. Unemployment lasts for six months. The government started federal extensions when Bush was still president because it was on his watch that the economy took a dive and those extensions have continued to be extended through Obama. In a flourishing, healthy economy (which we are NOT in), unemployment is six months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment