U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 01:21 PM

8,640 posts, read 14,775,749 times

Advertisements

With Christmas coming... just wondered how you handled it at your office...
Secret Santas? Ignore it completely? I have read that it's actually not proper ettiquette to give your boss a gift. That said, I have always given them a small gift and will continue to do so. What do you guys do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2007, 02:42 PM

1,408 posts, read 5,517,932 times
last christmas i gave my boss and the owner of the company each a very nice bottle of wine and each co-worker (4) a christmas ornament.

Old 11-14-2007, 08:07 PM

8,182 posts, read 11,504,021 times
We usually collect $$ for our boss and buy him something alcholic to drink....we tell him we like him better than way.

Our office stopped the secret santa a few years back and instead get a list of things needed for a local nursing home. We each then pick a few things, put it in a big basket to be delivered.

The entire agency collects for the local food pantry. Last year we had a semi full.

We have found we like this so much better.

Old 11-14-2007, 10:22 PM

2,798 posts, read 6,828,647 times
I give my boss and co-workers gifts every year! But, then again, they are my husband and my sons!

Seriously, before we had our own business, I used to work at a place where it was just the husband, wife and myself...we gave each other gifts. We were pretty close though.
At prior jobs, there were others that gave gifts to the bosses, but those people were always considered brown nosers and such, so I made it a practice to NOT do so...unless of course I could sneak the gift without it becoming a big ordeal. And that was only one boss that was pretty special!

Old 11-14-2007, 10:24 PM
dgz

798 posts, read 1,848,358 times
No, but I've noticed at my current job that everyone seems quite fond of chocolate, and so I'll probably bring in a big box around Christmas.

Old 11-15-2007, 07:30 AM

2,169 posts, read 5,516,586 times
My work situation is so different than most. I am a cook on a boat with a crew of 8 to 9 men. This is our year to work Christmas. I am like the "Mom" of the boat. I always take small gifts for everyone, making sure everyone has something under the tree to open Christmas morning. It is bad enough that we have to miss Christmas with our families so I try to make it as much fun as it could be under the circumstances and make sure everyone has a gift to open. It might just be a warm cap to wear out on tow, a tube of chapstick (badly needed out there), and a pair of socks. I look year round and buy things when I see something that would work, usually buy for next Christmas after this Christmas's mark down so it don't cost me a lot. I always look forwards to Christmas out there with my crew and am constantly looking for ways to make it fun.

Old 11-18-2007, 09:51 AM

274 posts, read 912,316 times
yes, but no generic thing like a bottle of booze or something. I try to listen over the course of the earlier months for something they might actually like. My boss always talks about Uconn football and basketball so I will be getting him a hoody from the actual bookstore, since I am an alumni and can have my friend send me one from campus. Kissing ass in a subtle way is the best way to get promoted haha.

Old 11-18-2007, 11:11 PM

1,501 posts, read 3,982,826 times
Only if boss is usually cordial/friendly, same for co-workers. Discreet gift giving most of the time.

Never could stand the secret Santas. One year, the woman who was nastiest to me all year got me, and it certainly was awkward accepting her gift -- and she apparently had no idea that I despise the color red, either. And I got some guy I barely knew. No more secret Santas after that!
I'd rather somebody donate to the ASPCA or the like if they feel obligated to have to get something (for some it's more an ordeal, so have asked some family if they'd just do this.)

That's GREAT, CaptNemo!

Old 12-04-2007, 07:40 PM

35 posts, read 146,874 times
There's nothing wrong with giving Christmas gifts to your IMMEDIATE boss, provided that it isn't over the top and it is delivered without pomp and circumstance. For bosses once removed and above, be very careful not to overstep it if you don't have at least a casual working relationship with them. That is often viewed as overly "kiss-up-ee" and can actually hurt you!

The hoodie Jadedsoul83 referred to is perfect in every way: it is very thoughtful, and not inappropriately personal or overly expensive to set the wrong tone. In the end, it's about being sincere because one's intentions more often than not come through. There's nothing wrong with getting on the boss' good side, so long as you do it tastefully and your relationship is cordial enough that you cannot be accused of trying to buy your boss' favor or worse yet, being a hypocrite!

Over the years I've received some very interesting gifts from my employees, ranging from the exquisite to the perfect to the inappropriate to the positively bizarre. The most thoughtful gift I've ever received was a donation in my name to "HEIFER.ORG". In fact, it touched me so that I have been giving these to my bosses, peers, and exempt subordinates (but not my clerical or non-exempt staff) as well as my children's teachers ever since! Check it out!

Old 12-05-2007, 06:10 AM

9,256 posts, read 7,948,865 times
We are self employed now, but my husband worked with this co. for 4 years. Every x-mas they took us all for a very expensive 7 course meal. I always gave a gift to his bosses wives, to show our appreciation. The bosses loved that we thought of their spouses in this way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment