Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2013, 08:46 PM

255 posts, read 709,120 times

Advertisements

Thank you for the insight, cds2013. I appreciate it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2013, 09:32 PM

17,574 posts, read 46,063,218 times
Well, you can't have your cake and eat it to. If you go with another job after accepting the first one you may burn a bridge or develop a reputation (no idea how small your industry it). That doesn't mean you don't take the better offer, but you should be aware it could have some negative consequences that you can't control.

Old 09-02-2013, 08:59 AM

4,017 posts, read 2,694,903 times
I was in this situation once. I'd accepted a job offer and was two days away from the start date when another offer came in. The first one paid a good salary, but it was a salaried position (didn't qualify for OT pay), was 'off-hours', and was a 45 minute drive from my house.

The second offer paid three dollars an hour more than the first, also paid overtime, was 'banker's hours', and was three *miles* from my house. (And given gas prices nowadays, something like that is *huge*.)

I took the second one. I called the first one to explain, and the hiring manager said he understood perfectly--in my place, he'd have done the same thing, and at least I'd told him before I started, rather than being there for two weeks and leaving. (He'd had people do that.)

The company that I 'left before I started' still contacts me every so often, saying they have a job opening and my resume on file appears to be a perfect match for it. So I'm presuming there were no hard feeling and I haven't been blackballed. (I haven't applied for any of those positions, there's been no need to.)

I think most employers will understand--they may not entirely like it, but I think there is the basic, "Yeah, if it were me, I'd do it too," empathy there. And if that understanding is lacking, then maybe you wouldn't have wanted to work there anyway.

Old 09-02-2013, 09:46 AM

3,763 posts, read 6,692,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckdub View Post
There are furloughs in the fed job arena right now, but it looks like they are hiring in my area of expertise. I am not holding my breath with these USAjobs positions, but I would still prioritize them first if they offered.

No, the nonprofit is not paying our relocation. My husband's new job is. So, no pressure there in terms of taking a job and then leaving.
What job(s) did you apply for and how long ago?

Old 09-02-2013, 09:52 AM

389 posts, read 1,216,878 times
On the surface this sounds like an agonizing decision but it really isn't.

If the employer had a change of mind, he would simply tell the prospective employee that conditions had changed and he was sorry. End of story. Even if the employee starts work, the employer could fire that employee the first day on the job for any number of reasons. After all "it's just business."

I would simply tell the prospective employer that conditions have changed and you no longer want to fill that position and move on. He (or she) might get upset, but that is secondary to your needs and wants.

Just remember that the employer wouldn't hesitate to cut you loose; don't be afraid of exercising your rights as well. This is a two way street. Do what is in your own best interests.

Old 09-02-2013, 10:45 AM

5,041 posts, read 6,329,712 times
Fed positions (USAJobs) are routinely backed out of, and often at the last minute (I have been hiring authority many times). It's no big deal, it happens, it's a natural result of the system the feds use. I doubt any good company would hold it against you-it's your life-but the Feds certainly won't.

Old 09-02-2013, 09:59 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,458,197 times
Interesting... I was told it was bad form to accept a job offer (in writing), then rescind right away. It sounds like this is no longer a bad thing given you can provide a better reason. Of course, don't over do this. I suppose this is much better since you're not starting 1 to 4 weeks, THEN jumping ship? You're letting them know BEFORE you start your first day?

I was on a project where there was rather high turnover... when we had a going away lunch for someone, someone else would bring up they're leaving in 2 weeks. Our project manager and program manager weren't happy about losing some good folks, but they did say they won't stop good people from leaving (which was merely just a "saying"... we were all on the typical employment contract of it being "at will", and either side was free to end it at anytime). Truly, you do need to look out after yourself.

Old 09-03-2013, 07:30 AM

11 posts, read 23,217 times
This just happened to me actually. I was flying out to interview with company A, did an interview with them and didn't think it went to well so when I got home I started applying again. That week company B calls me and says they want to fly me out for an interview and on the same day company A extends a job offer. Company A wants me to respond in a short period, but I manage to extend it to just after I fly out to interview with company B. In my interview with company B I am completely honest about my other offer (not stating salary etc) and my hesitations with the job I'm interviewing for, I tell them I have to make a decision in short time. The interview turns out to be more of a sales pitch than a quiz to see if I'm a good match. They tell me at the end of the interview that they can't extend a offer that day, but if I'm still interested they can "move forward with the process" (it's a mega-corp). Having one bird in the hand and a short time frame I accept the job offer with company A. Two days later company B gets back to me with a job offer letter that pays 12k(+regular bonuses) more than company A and also offers a sign-in bonus. I know it's a good problem to have, but it's particularly vexing. The two jobs are different enough, and in different locations that it's hard to compare and decide between.

Company A offers a more regular schedule, less stress, and more autonomy, more job security, but less pay and less upwards mobility. Also I would absolutely burn bridges if I backed out now as they are already moving forward and have a real demand for the position.

Company B offers considerably more pay and a bit more upwards mobility, but you will be expected to work crazy hours (almost always on call and 100+ a week wouldn't be too unusual), not as nice working conditions, higher stress, and not as much job security.
Both I would have to relocate to different locations as well.

Part of the reason I was looking for a new for a new job was working conditions and I was getting tired of the 24/hr on call.

To the person above me saying "On the surface this sounds like an agonizing decision but it really isn't"
I disagree...
I was long term unemployed a year before this, now it's the opposite.

Last edited by Orome; 09-03-2013 at 07:50 AM..

Old 09-03-2013, 09:14 AM

255 posts, read 709,120 times
Orome, sounds like you are in a good position to negotiate with both companies to get more of what you really want! Maybe higher pay at company A or less hours on call at company B... Life is too short to be chained to a desk or to work for 100+ hours a week, though, unless you absolutely LOVE it. Sheesh...

To clarify, I would most likely accept a job at a non-profit before we move in late October. But, the jobs I would really like are the USAjobs, and the postings do not close until late September. Start date for one of these jobs would probably be in January? So, I would have worked for the non-profit for approximately 3 months or so before turning in my notice.

Old 09-03-2013, 09:50 AM

1,057 posts, read 2,413,210 times
Hey OP, it is more about how you engage your current job when that situation arises than you leaving for a new job. Situations changes, and people live jobs even after being there for a short time. I don’t think it should be a problem. You can start a new job and find that it is not what you were looking for, does it mean you have to suck it up and stay there forever? No, because if you are not what the company was looking for, they will not hesitate to terminate you regardless of how long/short you’ve been there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment