Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2013, 10:47 AM

10,137 posts, read 17,468,497 times

Advertisements

Thanks all that is what I was afraid of pay too low, esp for contract work where you have to pay your own taxes and such.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2013, 04:25 PM

29,776 posts, read 24,865,598 times
I can't imagine much. When I contacted Microsoft regarding problems installing windows (suspected virus) the only people I was able to get in touch with were those in India. Unfortunately, that is your competition, and they work for well below minimum wage.

Old 08-30-2013, 04:33 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,468,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
I can't imagine much. When I contacted Microsoft regarding problems installing windows (suspected virus) the only people I was able to get in touch with were those in India. Unfortunately, that is your competition, and they work for well below minimum wage.
When I really think about the wages after paying taxes it probably equal Walmart wages. I was just considering it because I like some aspects of IT, troubleshooting and problem solving.

Old 08-30-2013, 04:58 PM

1,728 posts, read 3,548,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado xxxxx View Post
When I really think about the wages after paying taxes it probably equal Walmart wages. I was just considering it because I like some aspects of IT, troubleshooting and problem solving.
desktop support is not that type of IT

Old 08-30-2013, 05:01 PM

1,286 posts, read 1,340,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
Mostly it's going to be break/fix stuff on software and hardware and user training. You'd need a good knowledge of commercial off the shelf software, the hardware the client uses, as well as any custom software you are supporting. Like myrc60 said, most of these jobs pay $10-$12 hour on contract with no benefits.

Also, these "entry level" jobs don't lead to more advanced jobs in IT, at least not like the used to. They tend to be thought of more as customer service, like a fast food worker, than an IT staff member.

Total crap. We have had 2 of our tier 1 group (the "phone" people) and 1 of our tier 2 people (the ones who go out and fix the stuff) both get moved into other IT groups at our job... promotions.

If the employee can prove themselves, absolutely it's a stepping stone!

Old 08-30-2013, 07:35 PM

300 posts, read 1,136,344 times
If you're really serious get an IT degree and some certification and experience.

Old 08-30-2013, 09:52 PM

455 posts, read 1,397,480 times
Helpdesk is where most IT folks start. If its a true helpdesk it won't be outsourced/off shored. The India dudes that answer the phones if you call Microsoft aren't helpdesk. Those are call centers, BIG difference. Just knock out certs and maybe start a BS in an IT field. Everyone has to start somewhere.

Old 08-31-2013, 07:42 AM

273 posts, read 502,809 times
my guess is a desktop support job would be between $30-50K depending on location and company size.

Old 08-31-2013, 07:49 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,918,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
And they often have Masters Degree or above.

Old 08-31-2013, 08:23 AM

1,502 posts, read 2,666,093 times
Desktop support is a step up from the Helpdesk in many areas. I have made as high as 75k as a cleared desktop support person (Read DC Area). Desktop Engineering is the next step up. Windows 7 MCITP and SCCM Certs can get you there or a combination of experience can do the same.

I have made $50 an hour as a cleared desktop support engineer and there is still more headroom. I have seen contracts go as high as ~$90 per hour for uncleared desktop engineers.

With Desktop Engineering, it is very easy to make a mistake and mistakes are high visibility hence the higher pay. However at $50 per hour, I was the Senior Desktop Engineers gopher. I did essentially nothing and he wanted me to do nothing so he could take all the credit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment