Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2013, 06:28 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,705,895 times

Advertisements

Yes, though past data indicates that premium, it really begs the question as to whether that premium is still there today, and whether it will still be there twenty years from now. There's no doubt that jobs that require college degrees will pay more, but given the sharp decrease in the availability of such jobs which can be reasonably anticipated due to globalization, there could eventually come a point where that premium multiplied by the lower probability of being able to capitalize on your degree in your job, for much of your career, results in a situation where the expense of the degree cannot be justified. The forces intent on obliterating the value of work in order to foster profits that benefit the more affluent members of society have radically disrupted the balance of power in the labor marketplace, and if left unchecked will continue to further the imbalance in their favor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2013, 07:38 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,454,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraciousVox View Post
Interesting thread, came to it late.

Has anyone discussed the future of low-IQ citizens? We have few decent jobs for them now other than pouring coffeee at Starbucks or working at Costco. There are so few manual labor jobs to around. What next for them (other than putting them on disability so as not to anger the anti welfare crowd)?
Absolutely nothing. I cannot tell you how many cashiers cannot count change. If you're honest about the extra change,they'll recount and give you more change than before.

I blame everyone. The intelligent among us are frustrated with the unintelligent or the intellectually challenged. Meaning those that struggle with abstract concepts, English, mathematics, etc. Teachers are hustling to make a living. People throw around the term educator loosely. College has become a ponzi scheme. Worst off America celebrates idiotic behavior in the media.

Kids grow up thinking the ignorance is what life is all about. Work can only be dumbed down but so much. The next few generations will be supported through the taxes of the elderly, who will still be part of the work force because retirement will not be enough for them to live off of.

What is our government going to do to prepare those that are not as smart as the average person for success? Nothing; the prison industrial complex, social welfare, the military, and conspicuous consumerism needs them. Its a dirty job, but someone has to do it.

Old 09-03-2013, 07:50 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,923,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraciousVox View Post
Interesting thread, came to it late.

Has anyone discussed the future of low-IQ citizens? We have few decent jobs for them now other than pouring coffeee at Starbucks or working at Costco. There are so few manual labor jobs to around. What next for them (other than putting them on disability so as not to anger the anti welfare crowd)?

Well in modern civilized western democracies social welfare takes care of them. Chances are here in America they will be thrown into the streets or end up in the prison system.

Walmart and McDonalds are essentially workfare jobs but who knows how long that will last.

Old 09-03-2013, 07:54 AM
bUU

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
Well in modern civilized western democracies social welfare takes care of them. Chances are here in America they will be thrown into the streets or end up in the prison system.
It's a rather insidious trap: Use financial power to structurally array the economy such that many people are locked into poverty, such that the majority cannot escape it, and such that a large number are continually further economically demoted. Essentially, getting the short stick, itself, becomes a rationale for further punishment, and further demotion. Later, rinse, repeat.

Old 09-03-2013, 07:56 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,923,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
It's a rather insidious trap: Use financial power to structurally array the economy such that many people are locked into poverty, such that the majority cannot escape it, and such that a large number are continually further economically demoted. Essentially, getting the short stick, itself, becomes a rationale for further punishment, and further demotion. Later, rinse, repeat.

This is how it is in the most of the world. I'm afraid our American experiment of a middle class is faltering. The middle class can only exist with protectionism methods. I envision a future America similar to Brazil or other developing countries. Gated communities of ultra rich while the rest live in slums.

Old 09-03-2013, 07:59 AM
bUU

Quote:
This is how it is in the most of the world.
And let's be clear - it is the way things have been here, early on in our history.

Quote:
I'm afraid our American experiment of a middle class is faltering.
Or, deliberately being made to falter.

Old 09-03-2013, 11:31 AM

570 posts, read 1,729,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwiley View Post
How many people are going to be absorbed into the IT jobs? The manufacturing was not the only thing that made the United States strong, it also had a ton to do with the utilization of natural resources, many of which still exist in the United States.

It created mid to higher end jobs, but it also eliminated many more mid to low end jobs and sometimes eliminated industries. Like Movie rental, print media is also another dying industry. That's why you don't see many books stores, movie rental stores, less newspapers and magazines ect.

Old 09-03-2013, 12:16 PM

769 posts, read 976,948 times
College is a means to get your foot in the door in many career fields. I got into IT without a degree but I also was very determined and ambitious. I also had a VERY good mentor who I looked up to for advicee.

I got my BS degree in 2007 because my company told me. "We can't put you on many contracts becuase lack of degree". So to keep my job and future work. I got my BS degree. I got it in Business and they paid for all of it. My Master's I got somewhat for myself and not the immediate employment but the future. The type of work that I do and what I want to do, that Master's will get me past the gatekeeper over someone who has no Master's. I also am working on several certifications that my current job requires me to have. More resume building that someone with just a high school diploma and years of experience won't be able to compete with. Not that they aren't smarter than me because honestly..they probably are. I just have that blipping piece of paper. My college debt for Master's is 50K. I will make that money back and than some after I get to the next level.

Old 09-03-2013, 12:46 PM

213 posts, read 504,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by horsechick71 View Post
College is a means to get your foot in the door in many career fields. I got into IT without a degree but I also was very determined and ambitious.
To get your foot in the door through the college route, you also have to be extremely determined and ambitious. Everyone I know who got a real career straight out of undergrad school was extremely determined and ambitious. I guess I knew 1 guy who was a lazy Computer Science student and took an extra year to graduate, but then again it takes a ton of determination and ambition to get into that major at my school; you need to be top 90-95% in all your Calc, Physics and CS classes to have a chance.

You've actually made an argument against college. One of the main arguments against the claim that college adds $1,000,000 over the lifetime of the average person, is that those people are the determined, ambitious and intelligent ones who would've succeeded whether or not they went to college.

Old 09-03-2013, 12:49 PM

23,535 posts, read 24,029,400 times
So, a person with a PhD in Philosophy only studied Philosophy subjects in college? Did he/she not study basic math, history, art, sciences, sociology, and business in the course of obtaining this degree?
I would say that they have more tools than someone who has never studied these subjects. The goal of college is to give someone a "well rounded" education.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AStalkingButler View Post
Someone with a PhD in Philosophy is also not equipped to succeed, except if wants to be a Philosophy professor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment