Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2013, 03:51 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,161,108 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vernesther View Post
Not making excuses..just trying to figure out why everyone makes a big deal out of clothes. Its just clothes..Smh..
But it seems YOU are the one making a big deal, or insisting on making a statement, about the clothes cyou wear for work.

Many people so far have pointed out that a: you don't need to try to conform for interviews, and b: who cares anyway: almost everyone on the planet has to conform to some sort of dress code at work.

It's not just you. You are not a special snowflake.

I don't get why you are being so obtuse about this?

Old 09-01-2013, 03:54 PM

87 posts, read 78,301 times
My point: If your policy states no jeans, Polo shirts, sneakers, etc ..I DO comply. I have NEVER seen a policy at ANY employer that states, Females should dress feminine and males should dress masculine. In certain situations, I do understand where that may cause conflict. But I'm NOT working around children. My employment has mainly been in offices. Around adults. Who act like children when they see someone not acting "normal"

Old 09-01-2013, 03:59 PM

I am venting. Non violently. I haven't been rude or disrespectful to anyone here. You guys have your point of view. I have mine. Sticking to my guns is being obtuse? Wow..lol. I'm not going to roll over and play dead because someone doesn't like what I'm saying. And I'm not going to lie and say "ok" when I don't agree.

Old 09-01-2013, 04:01 PM

896 posts, read 1,177,378 times
Quote:
My point: If your policy states no jeans, Polo shirts, sneakers, etc ..I DO comply. I have NEVER seen a policy at ANY employer that states, Females should dress feminine and males should dress masculine. In certain situations, I do understand where that may cause conflict. But I'm NOT working around children. My employment has mainly been in offices. Around adults. Who act like children when they see someone not acting "normal"
Dress however you want, and remain unemployed. Frankly given the fact you can't pass a background check thanks to a criminal past, I don't understand why you insist on drawing so much attention to yourself during the interview process. Were I you, I wouldn't be making g waves at all until I got the job.

Old 09-01-2013, 04:09 PM

I guess in supposed to shut up because you all don't agree...Awwwww..ill start crying momentarily..in the meantime, there is nothing wrong with a difference of opinion. I'm not making any of you post comments. You're posting because you choose to.

Old 09-01-2013, 04:17 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,161,108 times
Quote:
I guess in supposed to shut up because you all don't agree...Awwwww..ill start crying momentarily..in the meantime, there is nothing wrong with a difference of opinion. I'm not making any of you post comments. You're posting because you choose to.
Welp not really.

You signed up, and posted looking for opinions and advice to a public message board.

People responded to you with their opinions and advice. It's the way this process works.

You don't like any of the responses. OK, that's cool and it happens all the time. Mod cut.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 09-01-2013 at 07:06 PM..

Old 09-01-2013, 04:18 PM

896 posts, read 1,177,378 times
Quote:
No one cares whether you cry or not. You skipped my post but I will say it again: you have a criminal background which precludes you from getting a job. You are in no position to dress differently and as such call attention on yourself. Wear a shirt, slacks and unisex jacket, problem solved.

Old 09-01-2013, 04:24 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,131,339 times
I'm confused. You are talking about dressing for an interview, correct? If so, there's no "company policy" to adhere to because you're not an employee. Wear whatever you want to a job interview ... just accept the consequences of "being yourself".

Old 09-01-2013, 04:25 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,744,746 times
Even not in the workplace, butch lesbians who dress up in men's clothes get bitched out. I saw a woman being called a "pants ***" when she was looking at men's pants. Another woman called another woman a dyke at my open Psych session because she wore a man's tshirt. In all the places I've worked I never saw a butch lesbian work there, so they must not be getting past the hiring process in the first place.

Butch lesbians aren't respected just like people don't like gays. I suggest you try to hide it and dress feminine at work.

I'm a MTF crossdresser myself, and I never let work know I crossdress. When they find out and think I'm gay, I don't last long there.

Old 09-01-2013, 04:36 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,135,091 times
Vernesther, I understand your desire to "be who you are", and I would love, just love to be able to wear t-shirts and shorts and flip flops to work, alas, that is who *I* am. But I cannot because it does not meet the "generally accepted norm" for work attire.

Being openly hostile to the way things are done is not going to be helpful to you getting a job. Some times you have to bend a little. I don't like getting up early, but I have to. I don't like wearing uncomfortable clothes, but sometimes I have to. It's all part of the game of being an employee. It's not a question of right and wrong, it's simply the way things are and if you want a job, you have to play the game.

Now then, when you have your own business, you can dress however you wish, but if you hope to fit into "corporate culture", you're going to have to be willing to give a little. That's just how it is.

You might consider working for a company that is very liberal in its mindset. For instance, working for a theatrical organization or an art organization. These kinds of places tend to be much more understanding of alternate lifestyles than say.... AT & T. I'm sure that where you live there are plenty of artsy-fartsy people around, bohemian kinda thing where a job could present itself. Keep looking and good luck.

20ryrsinBranson
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment