Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2013, 12:59 AM

12,767 posts, read 14,955,874 times

Advertisements

I have a new job that I worked a few days in June, then it started up again in mid-August because there was a summer break in between.

My boss, this elderly lady is nice, but it's VERY scary working for her because she just does NOT remember things she said in the past. So it's a "last week, you said __" & her saying, "no I didn't" type of thing. It's SO incredibly annoying & frustrating!!!

I don't know how I'm going to put up with her all year & beyond. I'm thinking of having an audio recorder when I see her from now on. I write down important things we've discussed, but it becomes a my word against hers type of thing & she'll get her way because she's the boss. Here's her problem:

Her older age + horrible memory + she rips & runs doing 10 million things a week = DISASTER when it's time for her & I to talk about past issues.

She even told me once herself that she knows she forgets things she said in the past.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2013, 01:13 AM

728 posts, read 1,898,758 times
I would definately recommend the recorder.

Old 09-02-2013, 04:26 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,699,341 times
I take it that your employer doesn't use email. The after-meeting CYA email summary of the meeting has been a tried-and-true method of dealing with a boss like that, in my experience.

Old 09-02-2013, 05:00 AM

45,319 posts, read 60,489,441 times
If email isn't used keep an anecdotal record of what's said, separate notebook, or send her a (gasp) written memo. Couch it in phrases so it sounds like you're the one refreshing your memory of events/instructions, etc.

Old 09-02-2013, 06:46 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,769,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
If email isn't used keep an anecdotal record of what's said, separate notebook, or send her a (gasp) written memo. Couch it in phrases so it sounds like you're the one refreshing your memory of events/instructions, etc.
Definitely write it all down and or record what she says. Make it sound like you are trying to keep up with many details as you can while working with her since the job sounds like the work entails many tasks.

The email suggestion is a good one, but it sounds like the boss may not be using email much. Maybe printed-out memos for the most important tasks would be ideal to curb disagreements over what was previously said.

Last edited by maus; 09-02-2013 at 07:00 AM..

Old 09-02-2013, 06:51 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,744,669 times
Yes record your boss and pull out the recording when you are having a disagreement, embarrassing your boss is always a great idea.

Personally I would try to send memos or learn to gently/ politically remind my boss what she had said.

Old 09-02-2013, 06:59 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,669,000 times
No to the recording - which may be illegal in your state anyway if she's unaware that you're recording her. It's simple, as others have noted. When something specific comes up you email or write a simple memo to her along the lines of, "Reference our conversation today, it's my understanding that you want me to do (such and such) etc. If I've misunderstood, please let me know. Thanks so much. Sincerely yours."

Old 09-02-2013, 07:02 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,769,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
No to the recording - which may be illegal in your state anyway if she's unaware that you're recording her. It's simple, as others have noted. When something specific comes up you email or write a simple memo to her along the lines of, "Reference our conversation today, it's my understanding that you want me to do (such and such) etc. If I've misunderstood, please let me know. Thanks so much. Sincerely yours."
True, point taken about recording. The OP would ask permission to record her supervisor, but chances are the boss won't like that being done as she may sees it that her reportee is undermining her work.

Old 09-02-2013, 07:15 AM

896 posts, read 1,176,725 times
I used to have a boss like this. I started keeping a spiral notebook at my desk and when he would instruct me to do something I would say, "Let me write that down" and I'd repeat it back to him as I wrote it. I wrote down EVERYTHING and I would date every entry. Later on if he forgot something I would flip through the notebook and read the entry back to him. It solved the problem.

That was 15 years ago. The funny thing is, I still keep a running notebook in which I list my tasks. I find it is a great way to ensure I never forget to do something myself.

Old 09-02-2013, 09:51 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,471,890 times
How old is she based on your best guess? Just wondering what you mean by 'elderly'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment