Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2013, 03:10 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,535,438 times

Advertisements

I do not think it should be banned. If you don't want to contribute, don't. We spend more time with our coworkers than with our own families. I believe in caring and compassion. I sign cards for anything and always try to write something special.

I contribute a small amount to employee graduations, citizenship celebrations, baby gifts, weddings, and retirement. These are special events that deserve some recognition.

However, kindness and caring have no monetary value. One lovely woman at work has very little income, yet she always brings gifts for others. She brought in some lovely burping blankets from the dollar store for a relative of mine that had a baby. The gift was genuinely appreciated, by me and my relative.

We all have birthdays - no gift, maybe a cake for everyone to share.

We all have insurance through work to cover funeral expenses - at heartfelt card is always appreciated.

The office provides flowers when someone is sick. I would consider picking up a paperback if they enjoy reading.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2013, 03:15 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,535,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
Don't get me started on United Way...it's that time of year.

I have nothing against charities - and I do give to charities of my choice (ones where I KNOW where my money is going).
I agree with a lot of what you say about the United Way, because they have such large overhead fees.

However, you can select what charity gets the money, even if it's not on United Way's list. It's a great way to give a larger amount to something you care about and gett the tax break upfront.

Old 09-05-2013, 03:53 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,311,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissNM View Post
I agree with a lot of what you say about the United Way, because they have such large overhead fees.

However, you can select what charity gets the money, even if it's not on United Way's list. It's a great way to give a larger amount to something you care about and gett the tax break upfront.

Yes, that's what I did when I worked for 18 years for a corporation where UW contributions were virtually mandatory. UW doesn't like it, but it allows those of us with particular interests to send our contribution that way instead of letting UW decide what the community needs.

UW is often used as an excuse for corporations to ban outright other charity solicitations. There IS something to be said for that. Before my company participated in UW, they were constantly being hit up to donate to every single non-profit organization in the 35 countries in which we did business. We, as employees were also sitting ducks to be hit up by our fellow employees (one of the complaints mentioned in this thread.) By participating in UW, the corporation can say, "Sorry, we can't give to you directly, but if you'd like some of our enormous charity allotment, you're welcome to apply via United Way." By the same token, if employees participate in the payroll deduction, that can be their excuse to bow out of requests from co-workers. When hit up you can reply, "I participate in the UW payroll deduction and that's the only donation I can currently afford in my budget." End of discussion.

Old 09-05-2013, 04:20 PM

1,236 posts, read 3,115,669 times
All of the places I worked passed a box for employees who had had a birth, or death in the family, a house fire or other blessed events or family hardships. I always donated what I could. I did not donate to organizations because I learned early that these donations go to the organization, not the cause. I do not donate to causes that award more in bonuses to employee's than I make in a year. With the box, it was passed. You either donated, or you did not. No questions, nobody knew who gave or how much.

Old 09-05-2013, 06:48 PM

872 posts, read 1,262,902 times
Wow, that is crazy. I've never seen that done at any place I've worked - and I'm thankful for that. I've seen cards passed around for retirements, losses, birthdays, etc., and people are obviously free to go beyond that if they wish, but never have I been in a situation where a contribution would be forced or accepted. Yikes.

Old 09-05-2013, 07:11 PM

10,113 posts, read 19,394,180 times
Charity begins at home

Old 09-06-2013, 05:07 AM

7,974 posts, read 7,346,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissNM View Post

I prefer donating directly to local charities (our local library, purchasing pet food for the local animal shelter, food for the food bank, etc.) Then I know my money isn't going into some UW administrator's pocket.

I don't think companies should have the right to bully or force employees to donate to UW or any other charity just so they can brag 100 percent compliance and get a framed certificate on the wall and the company president's picture in the paper.

Old 09-06-2013, 06:32 AM

5,938 posts, read 4,696,461 times
Where I work, it is constant. There are various school fundraiser chocolates, boy scout popcorn, girl scout cookies, military/veteran/wounded warrior type things. They had something for the local animal shelter, monthly email bombardments about blood drives (well, that is a different thing altogether). Collections for who died, who is sick, who is getting married, who is having a kid.

What I don't like is the pressure applied to get us to contribute. I shouldn't have to deal with that at work.

Old 09-06-2013, 01:21 PM

10,113 posts, read 19,394,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
I prefer donating directly to local charities (our local library, purchasing pet food for the local animal shelter, food for the food bank, etc.) Then I know my money isn't going into some UW administrator's pocket.

I don't think companies should have the right to bully or force employees to donate to UW or any other charity just so they can brag 100 percent compliance and get a framed certificate on the wall and the company president's picture in the paper.

That was exactly the case at a hospital I worked at years ago. The chief administrator always got a 100% participation award, along with adwards banquet, newspaper articles,etc. When I saw how much they considered to be "My Fair Share, I flipped! I forget now, but it was a very large amount for the money I was making, something like $25/month, and I was barely making minimum wage

My first thoght was to just pass on it. Then, I was warned, NOT to be the deal breaker......ok, so, I signed up for $1/month, which was more than I could barely afford. At least they kept their little 100% compliance award.

Those "fair Share" calculations are based on gross, not net income, and don't take into consideration taxes, insurance, etc, etc....before we even see a paycheck. Then, of course, the "pass the hat" for every little thing, weddings, birthdays, graduations.......I just say no, and that's that. I'm working for money, to support my family, not joining a social club
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment