U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2013, 01:47 PM

29 posts, read 14,290 times

Advertisements

When it comes to post job interview thank you notes, is e-mail or snail mail the route to go these days?

It would seem that neatly written, snail-mail may be more personable, but it may take a couple days, and maybe never finds the right person. E-mail may not be as personable, but it gets there faster, and is highly unlikely to get lost. One website claims the snail mail route is hardly done these days.

What's the verdict here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2013, 02:26 PM

5,524 posts, read 6,300,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metty85 View Post
When it comes to post job interview thank you notes, is e-mail or snail mail the route to go these days?

It would seem that neatly written, snail-mail may be more personable, but it may take a couple days, and maybe never finds the right person. E-mail may not be as personable, but it gets there faster, and is highly unlikely to get lost. One website claims the snail mail route is hardly done these days.

What's the verdict here?
I use email, for the reasons you mentioned.

When I'm the interviewer, I appreciate either equally.

Old 09-04-2013, 02:35 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
30,913 posts, read 56,351,131 times
As a frequent recipient, taking the time to write by hand is clearly more appreciated. The last person I hired hand delivered
thank you notes the next day to the receptionist in the lobby for me and the others from the interview. We hired him, but
had already made that decision the afternoon before. Whether or not I get a thank you would never make any difference in whether I hire someone. Even with 100+ applicants I will get it down to 10-12 maximum and schedule all for the same day, and almost always have made a decision before I would have gotten a thank you. It is nice to get them, though.

Old 09-04-2013, 02:41 PM

570 posts, read 1,529,770 times
I would just send an email or just don't send it.
We normally throw random letters away "Thank You" notes don't matter to us. We never make any decision based on that. Not sure about other companies.

Old 09-04-2013, 02:43 PM

7,422 posts, read 13,919,681 times
i e-mail, for the sake of speed. i do have a friend who got a job recently and her new employer specifically mentioned how much they appreciated getting a handwritten note, though.

as for their overall importance, i got really positive feedback on my thank you's at my newest job, but i don't know that it was a huge factor in the decision. i work for a nonprofit and i do think that the passion for the organization's mission that i demonstrated in my cover letter, interview, and thank you notes had a lot to do with me getting hired. so it mattered in that way. and i do think it can sometimes help tip the scales if it's close between you and someone else.

Old 09-04-2013, 02:50 PM

896 posts, read 983,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
As a frequent recipient, taking the time to write by hand is clearly more appreciated. The last person I hired hand delivered
thank you notes the next day to the receptionist in the lobby for me and the others from the interview. We hired him, but
had already made that decision the afternoon before. Whether or not I get a thank you would never make any difference in whether I hire someone. Even with 100+ applicants I will get it down to 10-12 maximum and schedule all for the same day, and almost always have made a decision before I would have gotten a thank you. It is nice to get them, though.
I would think very poorly of a candidate who showed back up at the office the next day to hand out thank you notes.

Email a thank you and use the email as a way to sell yourself a little bit more. (Just a sentence or two.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment