Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2013, 07:55 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
Except for that fact that many of the folks who are looking for work are the some of the ones NOT being included in the labor force participation rate.

That's true because I just talked to someone who said she was not eligible for unemployment when she was looking for work
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2013, 08:16 PM

29,823 posts, read 24,908,096 times
Quote:
Except for that fact that many of the folks who are looking for work are the some of the ones NOT being included in the labor force participation rate.
We have enough people who are capable of identifying problems. What we lack are people willing to supplement these complaints with workable solutions. Perhaps you should devote your free time towards addressing the shortfalls of our current employment gauges. In the meantime, most people understand the weakness of our current unemployment gauges, even the E6 numbers. Regardless, these numbers fluctuate in synchrony, offering some incite regarding the direction this country is going. Things seem to be getting better, as more people feel confident when consuming, more people are buying houses, and yes, more people are working.

Old 09-07-2013, 08:23 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,742,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
We have enough people who are capable of identifying problems.
Nothing's wrong with that. We share a country with over 300 Million other people, and we share a world with over 7 Billion other people. Whether we like it or not, every single one of us must work together in resolving our problems, as we're not islands unto ourselves. I would rather live in a society where everyone doesn't bury their heads in the sand from the problems we face. In fact, I would say the more people we have who are capable of identifying the problems, the better. You can't solve a problem until a problem is identified.

Quote:
What we lack are people willing to supplement these complaints with workable solutions. Perhaps you should devote your free time towards addressing the shortfalls of our current employment gauges.
It's not the lack of solutions that's the problem, nor is it the lack of people who can provide solutions that's the problem. It's the lack of will power to implement said solutions by those appointed by the masses to a position of power, whether it's due to sheer ignorance or just plain selfishness.

Last edited by 313Weather; 09-07-2013 at 08:45 PM..

Old 09-07-2013, 10:29 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,481,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
Living with Spouse

Living with family

On Welfare
Don't forget the other 2............crime and drug dealing, really a subset of 1, crime.

Old 09-08-2013, 08:07 AM

8,044 posts, read 10,635,981 times
Quote:
A basic HS education can afford an adult a basic job. I'm not talking about McyD's either. I'm talking a middle of the road 30K or more a year job. Learn a skill of some sort and that threshold increases, while making the poor social skills less of an issue. Add another working individual in the household and they too can enjoy a middle class existence.
This sounds great. I know a lot of people that would love to know what and where these 30K a year jobs are with only a HS education are, myself and my high school graduate children included. Please share them. I've been working full-time since graduating from High School over 30 years ago, and still have not hit the 30K a year mark.

Old 09-08-2013, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado xxxxx View Post
Don't forget the other 2............crime and drug dealing, really a subset of 1, crime.
In my area, the cooking of meth seems to be employing a lot of people lately, according to the police reports in our local paper.

The welfare crowd has always been around, but I do notice a huge increase in the amount of able-bodied working aged people who are out and about, many obviously not employed, on any given week-day when I need to run errands on my lunch hour.

This was not true 10 or 15 years ago; many of these people would have been hard at work on their shift at one of the many manufacturing plants that were still running here up until that time, since then moved to China or Mexico.

It would be a lot easier to blame the people, if the jobs were still here.

Old 09-08-2013, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Worst case scenerio, they continue to reproduce while depending on this system.
Unfortunately, this is because our system REWARDS them for reproducing, and for not making TOO much money. That is how they get paid.

If you are poor and have no minor dependant children you are out of luck as far as government assistance, unless you are elderly or on disability.

If you are a poor working person but have no dependant children, yet you are struggling to make ends meet and to pay for food, medical care, rent, or utilities, you will not receive any kind of assistance either.

It's all in having those "babies". They are the ticket.

Old 09-08-2013, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montanamom View Post
This sounds great. I know a lot of people that would love to know what and where these 30K a year jobs are with only a HS education are, myself and my high school graduate children included. Please share them. I've been working full-time since graduating from High School over 30 years ago, and still have not hit the 30K a year mark.
Construction, any form of skilled labor, any type of unskilled labor represented by trade union (not a cashier at union Kroger), some types of maintenance, waste management, roustabout working in oil or natural gas extraction, any type of infrastructure service work, auto mechanic, box making machine operator (requires basic math skills, which eliminates 50% of the workforce)... Some forms of advanced drivers license can open doors. Bus drivers, police officers (must go through sponsored training academy), pilots....

Many management jobs are wide open to HS grads with industry experience. I see this all the time in my profession, and other related occupations. Mostly small businesses, but small businesses account for about 80% of all jobs in this country. here's one...

http://www.careerbuilder.com/JobSeeker/Jobs/JobDetails

Technically, you could become president, even if you were a HS dropout.

My uncle does survey work along the lake with his boat. Don't know what it pays but he doesn't have to work in the traditional sense anymore.

These are just the jobs I could think of. Problem these days is HS today is an appalling joke, leaving grads grossly unprepared. College was never required to train young people for everything they should need to make it in this world.

Old 09-08-2013, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montanamom View Post
In my area, the cooking of meth seems to be employing a lot of people lately, according to the police reports in our local paper.

The welfare crowd has always been around, but I do notice a huge increase in the amount of able-bodied working aged people who are out and about, many obviously not employed, on any given week-day when I need to run errands on my lunch hour.

This was not true 10 or 15 years ago; many of these people would have been hard at work on their shift at one of the many manufacturing plants that were still running here up until that time, since then moved to China or Mexico.

It would be a lot easier to blame the people, if the jobs were still here.
I hear it's an epidemic all over the south. I hear the stuff is quite easy to "cook", at least the cheap version. That's why I have suggested, when the plants move south, it won't be long before they move further south. What these places like to do is figure out if they can find functional management and a few of their other miscellaneous workers, while expecting an overabundance of working class folks to show up.... Obviously, it doesn't always happen like that

Old 09-08-2013, 11:25 AM

3,739 posts, read 4,635,616 times
Quote:
Nothing's wrong with that. We share a country with over 300 Million other people, and we share a world with over 7 Billion other people. Whether we like it or not, every single one of us must work together in resolving our problems, as we're not islands unto ourselves. I would rather live in a society where everyone doesn't bury their heads in the sand from the problems we face. In fact, I would say the more people we have who are capable of identifying the problems, the better. You can't solve a problem until a problem is identified.

It's not the lack of solutions that's the problem, nor is it the lack of people who can provide solutions that's the problem. It's the lack of will power to implement said solutions by those appointed by the masses to a position of power, whether it's due to sheer ignorance or just plain selfishness.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment