U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-06-2013, 08:06 PM

81 posts, read 77,472 times

Advertisements

Interesting article I ran across earlier today...Washington Post Link

Quote:
Americans are participating in the workforce at the lowest level in 35 years, according to government data released Friday, as lackluster job growth fails to offset the droves of people who have given up looking for work.

According to the Labor Department, the economy added a disappointing 169,000 jobs in August. In addition, the government lowered its estimate of the number of jobs created in June and July by 74,000 positions.

The grinding pace of recovery has hollowed out the workforce. Government data showed that only 63.2 percent of working-age Americans have a job or are looking for one, the lowest proportion since 1978. Nearly 90 million people are now considered out of the labor force, up 1.7 million from August 2012.
People always mention the decreasing unemployment rate as a sign of economic recovery. But what about the people who gave up looking for a job? The 63 percent labor force number just scares the bejeezus out of me.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2013, 08:14 PM

2,300 posts, read 1,818,148 times
There are a lot of lazy people out there. Dated two young girls when I was in Seattle, had never worked a real job a day in their lives, both were early 20s, and had no intention of getting a job because "job that want them pay too low". WTF?

Yes the number is alarming, but there are far more lazy people in the world today than I think there have ever been. Much of the young workforce are entitled, and feel they should be able to work into any job off the streets and demand a 6 figure salary. That's the way the mentality of people in today's world is going.

828 posts, read 455,817 times

699 posts, read 571,761 times
Are The Powers That Be counting us self-employed, quarterly-tax payers? I sure hope so.

Old 09-06-2013, 08:17 PM

2,643 posts, read 2,480,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenstyle View Post
Are The Powers That Be counting us self-employed, quarterly-tax payers? I sure hope so.
No. Business owners are not counted in these statistics.

Old 09-06-2013, 08:25 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,179,773 times
J-O-B Stands for JUST-OVER-BROKE Why bother with one of them?

Find a career, occupation, or passion that makes you a living! you will never work a day in your life.

J-O-B-S are for S-U-C-K-E-R-S

Old 09-06-2013, 08:39 PM

699 posts, read 571,761 times
matzoman, I agree with half of your post. I have found an occupation that I love, wherein I work my ASS off. I don't know where you get the "you will never work a day in your life" part.

On the other hand, I'm proud to say that during my stints on unemployment, I never seriously looked for a job; just the bare bones minimum sticking-my-head-into-the-store-asking "are you hiring" to satisfy the MESC, as it was called at the time.

Old 09-06-2013, 08:46 PM
FBJ

34,427 posts, read 23,792,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KosmoKramer View Post
Interesting article I ran across earlier today...Washington Post Link

People always mention the decreasing unemployment rate as a sign of economic recovery. But what about the people who gave up looking for a job? The 63 percent labor force number just scares the bejeezus out of me.

Well whoever these people are who gave up looking for work are probably not living alone. You definitely don't have that option if you are paying rent.

Old 09-06-2013, 08:54 PM

113 posts, read 91,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
Well whoever these people are who gave up looking for work are probably not living alone. You definitely don't have that option if you are paying rent.
This. I hear that statement a lot, people who gave up looking for work and I'm always wondering how the heck are they surviving.

Old 09-06-2013, 08:56 PM

5,142 posts, read 4,505,714 times
So true. So many people believe that they are "entitled" to a 100K a year job, or a 80K a year job, because they "had one before" and won't take anything less, so they won't take a so-called "menial" job to get by.

Of course, that's not the only reason for the high unemployment rate. The economy has shifted and changed in the last two decades. The "skills gap" is more prevalent than ever and training and education has become more important in today's digital, information based economy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
There are a lot of lazy people out there. Dated two young girls when I was in Seattle, had never worked a real job a day in their lives, both were early 20s, and had no intention of getting a job because "job that want them pay too low". WTF?

Yes the number is alarming, but there are far more lazy people in the world today than I think there have ever been. Much of the young workforce are entitled, and feel they should be able to work into any job off the streets and demand a 6 figure salary. That's the way the mentality of people in today's world is going.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment