Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2013, 09:21 PM

120 posts, read 193,697 times

Advertisements

Several problems at this point in time:
  • I graduated 5 months ago and I've been unemployed since then. This looks bad on my resume.
  • I've applied to almost every company that posts on job boards -- Dice, Indeed, SimplyHired, LinkedIn, CareerBuilder, etc. Almost every time I see a listing that looks great, I look on my spreadsheet and see that I applied there a month ago.

Less and less options, a race against the clock, etc ... This is not good. Any advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2013, 09:58 PM

2,845 posts, read 6,010,863 times
In this economy don't worry about looking bad for having a gap in employment, 5 months after graduation isn't too long. What is your degree in?

Have you tried craigslist? I have found multiple jobs there (I have a master's in science).

Since you aren't getting interviews, I suggest tailoring your resume to match word for word as much as possible what they are asking for.

So if the position says something like "type at least 65 words per minute" and you put in "type 75 wpm" the system might not catch it cuz it's not matching. That's just a very basic example.

Old 09-07-2013, 10:04 PM

2,349 posts, read 5,433,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnowerOfThings View Post
Several problems at this point in time:
  • I graduated 5 months ago and I've been unemployed since then. This looks bad on my resume.
  • I've applied to almost every company that posts on job boards -- Dice, Indeed, SimplyHired, LinkedIn, CareerBuilder, etc. Almost every time I see a listing that looks great, I look on my spreadsheet and see that I applied there a month ago.

Less and less options, a race against the clock, etc ... This is not good. Any advice?
Graduated what? High school? College?

If college, what did you major in?
What were your career objectives?

Have you ever been employed?

Have you considered producing a functional (not chronological) resume?

Old 09-07-2013, 10:05 PM

1,351 posts, read 2,900,273 times
welcome to the real world, it's tough out there. this current crop of college grads (+/- 3 yrs) is facing one of the toughest job markets in many years. from what i've read, predictions are that most will never make the kind of money their parents made (adjusted for inflation and taken over an entire career) because they'll have lost at least 5 - 10 yrs of earning power because of this economy.

this isn't meant to discourage you, but to remind you that you're not alone, and to not blame yourself. most importantly, don't tie your self worth as a human being to your ability to be a "productive contributor to the economy", or you'll end up horribly depressed.

keep applying, stay busy, network. good luck.

Old 09-07-2013, 10:06 PM

29,799 posts, read 24,880,628 times
Someone I know from HS graduated with a bachelors degree in business management. He did absolutely nothing for a year. I mean nothing. He refused to take any job he deemed "beneath" him. Well, shortly after that, he began searching for jobs that were slightly below his self imposed worth. Progressively, he lowed the bar. Today, he works at Arby's. He's been there for 6 months now.

Don't be like this guy. Try to get any job you can. Even if it sucks, it's experience. What many college grads lack is real world, OTJ experience. The guy I described never had a job in his life. How can you go from never working a job to managing others who may have years of experience? You can't. So now he's going to have to start at the bottom and work his way up. That's the way it was always done, and exceptions are not going to be made in most settings because someone has a degree.

My advice... Keep looking, but don't be afraid to take that down and dirty, possibly minimum wagish job. At the very least, it will provide you with experience, and that will be a benefit no matter what career you ultimately pursue.

Good luck in your pursuits.

Old 09-07-2013, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plmokn View Post
Graduated what? High school? College?

If college, what did you major in?
Mathematics

Quote:
What were your career objectives?
I did not have any specific career objectives, unfortunately. Since the highlight of my college experience was working on a research project under a Computational Neuroscience grad student, using some statistical software to write scripts that crunch numbers, plot graphics, etc., I assumed that would be widely applicable and I could get some entry-level position in Analytics, Programming, or something like that.

Quote:
Have you ever been employed?
Yes, this is my first time being unemployed for a while. During college I had a part-time job as Math tutor at a learning center in the city. I was getting paid by the university for my research project, so that was a job too.

Quote:
Have you considered producing a functional (not chronological) resume?
I don't know what this means.

Old 09-07-2013, 10:25 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,124,502 times
Have you tried your college's career services? Large companies spend a significant amount of resources recruiting from universities. It's an inside track to starting a career.

Old 09-07-2013, 11:37 PM

991 posts, read 1,109,700 times
Job boards on the internet are a notoriously ineffective and time-wasting effort for finding a job...you have to break through what in the HR world is known as the "resume black hole" in which the gravitational forces are so great that there is a 99% probability your submission will never be seen by another sentient being. There was a recent article on LinkedIn Today about this...I don't think I am allowed to link to it.

You are better off looking through your contacts: friends, relatives, former bosses, professors, college career center, etc.

Old 09-08-2013, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC_Sleuth View Post
Job boards on the internet are a notoriously ineffective and time-wasting effort for finding a job...you have to break through what in the HR world is known as the "resume black hole" in which the gravitational forces are so great that there is a 99% probability your submission will never be seen by another sentient being. There was a recent article on LinkedIn Today about this...I don't think I am allowed to link to it.

You are better off looking through your contacts: friends, relatives, former bosses, professors, college career center, etc.
I check my university's job board daily and I've been to a job fair (useless) and I've talked to a career counselor there twice.

Old 09-08-2013, 12:13 AM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times
I'll agree that five months isn't excessive, but with each passing day, you become less employable. Also, I noticed you said you had a part-time job through the college, but have you ever had any private sector employment? Many times employers don't count part-time or internship type work as employment experience.

Consider this. The "average" mathematics major may start with an "average" salary of $35k (I am just making up numbers for this). However, let's assume you take that $10/hr job and start out at $20,800. Most future offers will be based off what is then your current salary. Starting this low leaves you with a big salary deficit to climb out of relative to the average. Also, let's say you take that stocking job at Lowe's for experience. Guess what? Your math major doesn't help there and then you have the "damaged goods" stigma of being "just a Lowe's stockboy." In future interviews, you are no longer thought of primarily as a college graduate in mathematics, but as the Lowe's stockboy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment