Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2013, 05:00 PM

3,118 posts, read 5,355,544 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYkl3XlEneA[/url]

Somehow we got to find a way to make corporate America hire more people and pay a decent wage. They keep lowballing me on the jobs I apply for, so sometimes I think I should just try to get a gov or city job.
Lowballing or paying you what you are worth, not what you think you are worth. If every single company is offering you less that you think you are worth, you aren't worth what you think you are worth.

And corporate jobs actually pay well if you have something to bring to the table. Corporations in big cities like Chicago and New York pay a premium if you are educated and good at what you do. Everyone I know with a corporate job downtown is paid well. Work at McDonalds as a cashier and you wont get paid well. Work for McDonalds corporate office in marketing and you will get paid well. See how that works?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2013, 05:06 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,966,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman07 View Post
And corporate jobs actually pay well if you have something to bring to the table.
Something must include a stable, lengthy work history, no criminal record, no baggage of any kind out of the mainstream.

When you can offer that, you should benchmark yourself against US median comp for 2013 for your occupation.

Until than, 99% of applicants bring more to the table than you, thus 99% should be paid more.

Old 09-08-2013, 05:19 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,743,179 times
I have many jobs in my resume because I got hired more frequently for temp jobs than permanent ones. And I was discriminated and lost 4 jobs when they found out I was a crossdresser. They thought I was gay so they didn't hire me as permanent. BUT YOU CAN BE A BIG GAY AS LONG AS YOU'RE WHITE AND THEY WON'T DISCRIMINATE AGAINST YOU. Many White crossdressers are engineers on my Crossdresser forum, and they have good stable jobs. One, TXkimberly, is a Field Service Eng and he openly goes to airports traveling in women's clothes.

I'm benchmarking myself against a salary for a good entry level Mech Eng at a Good company - $56,000 a year. And I have 5.79 years overall experience doing some eng, CAD, and tech writing. I have more skills and experience than a typical entry level ME, so I definitely should be able to get that $56,000 yeart ME job. But America is still racist and HR would prefer to give that job to a good looking WHITE candidate.

Here is the youtube video of the long term unemployed, all ages, races, many type of careers, and all being discriminated for jobs. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKajVjasp84

I get lowball job offers of $22 /hr and then I get rare job opportunities like a recent recruiter submitted me for a John Deere Design Eng job at a great $36 / hr salary. But it only lasts 5.5 months and it would interfere with the 3 school classes I'm taking now. Being busy with school now, I'm hardly looking for a job. If a recruiter call me for a job, I say I can only work 28 hours a week until Dec 16 th then I can work FT.

Old 09-08-2013, 06:15 PM

2,826 posts, read 2,367,436 times
You know what's beyond stupid? In an economic slump you

(1) Cut people some slack if they can't find a job in five years
(2) Make people either lousy pay offers or refuse to hire because they haven't been hired in awhile.

Which sounds like a sane and reasonable stance to hiring during tough times?

Also, I'm a crossdresser too. I'm self-employed so I don't have to deal with that BS. I don't make much, but I don't care.

Old 09-08-2013, 06:19 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,739,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulmabriefs144 View Post
You know what's beyond stupid? In an economic slump you

(1) Cut people some slack if they can't find a job in five years
(2) Make people either lousy pay offers or refuse to hire because they haven't been hired in awhile.

Which sounds like a sane and reasonable stance to hiring during tough times?
Meh, people as a whole are selfish and greedy *******s. Why would you apply sane and reasonable logic to the things they do?

Old 09-08-2013, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
Meh, people as a whole are selfish and greedy *******s. Why would you apply sane and reasonable logic to the things they do?
According to the video, corporation are the greedy ones with record levels of profits and record level of low pay among workers nowadays. And their reluctance to hire people and making less people work massive overtime to keep up on work is what's making the economy bad.

Greed is not good, NOT Greed is good according to that famous movie saying.

Old 09-08-2013, 06:37 PM

217 posts, read 512,738 times
Quote:
I don't get an allowance from my Parents, so I only live off off my $1154 monthly SSDI.

So, you pay them rent at the going rate for your area? The rent you would pay to rent a room in an area would suffice. And, do you pay them for food and a portion of the utilities? Who pays for your car insurance? Unless it is you and you pay all of your own bills, you are in fact leeching on your parents.

I'm NOT a leech on society because I've applied to jobs for the 230 weeks of my 260 weeks of unemployment.

What happened to the other 30 weeks?

So blame the companies that don't hire me,

I don't blame them at all. In fact, I would like to know what processes they used to screen employees and what processes they use to exclude...as you not being hired by these companies shows a distinct WIN on their part. Your behavior and attitude are the real cause...the companies are just fortunate enough to find these concerns prior to hiring you.

or don't offer a respectable wage.

At this point, you should be looking for employment that pays more than $1154 per month.

Paying me SSDI is better than paying for me in jail if I had to shoplift to get grocereis.

As for the lie on my resume, 2001 to 2005 no company would hire me due to my probation.

HOLD UP!!!! You are justifying LYING ON YOUR RESUME because you had to COVER UP YOUR FELONY??? I would ask if you were serious, but I know that, sadly, you are.

So I can't let that come up in new interviews so I just state that I worked all that time for my brother's REAL computer business, which failed due to clients not paying him.

Were I your brother, I would sue you for defamation and destroying his reputation by you claiming to work for him.

I only worked for my brother 2 days total, not 4 years, but it sure covers the gap nicely.

No.

Companies are not sympathetic when you're unemployed 2 + years, and recruiters would often dismiss you.

Going out on a limb here, but thinking it wasn't the unemployment but rather the FELONY CONVICTION.

So my current resume now has another lie that gets me by, instead of making me look 5+ years unemployed.

Yet, you are not working. SO, how's that working for you?

Old 09-08-2013, 06:39 PM

217 posts, read 512,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Something must include a stable, lengthy work history,

Strike One

no criminal record,

Strike 2

no baggage of any kind out of the mainstream.

And Strike 3. Jesse's out.

When you can offer that, you should benchmark yourself against US median comp for 2013 for your occupation.

Until than, 99% of applicants bring more to the table than you, thus 99% should be paid more.
I think the number is closer to 99.99%

Old 09-08-2013, 06:46 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,477,758 times
Quote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYkl3XlEneA

Somehow we got to find a way to make corporate America hire more people and pay a decent wage. They keep lowballing me on the jobs I apply for, so sometimes I think I should just try to get a gov or city job.
I am just starting to watch it, I like his channel so far cuts through the BS.

Old 09-08-2013, 06:47 PM

From my online resume, these skills are worth the $56,000 a year lowball salary I ask for, especially when my last job paid $68,000 / year.

OBJECTIVES

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OBJECTIVE 1: To do engineering, design, or CAD work for product related, Defense, NASA, or automated machinery firms.

OBJECTIVE 2: To do technical writing for engineering, software, or process related topics. [My mechanical engineering, technical writing, and “IT” background makes me of very special interest for manufacturing related software developers.]

OFFHAND INTEREST: It would be interesting to do some work related to Visual C++ and Visual Basic that would involve engineering and technical writing.

REMOTE WORK

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For part time or freelance jobs, I would love to do remote work at home jobs! I do have most of the software needed! Wildfire 2 to 5, Solidworks 2006 to 2013, both with FEA! Office 2003 and 2013. Or I can also use Open Office 3.2 as an intermediate "Office" program [it's free!].

My main computer is also a HEAVY DUTY workstation! Specs: i7 2600k CPU, 16GB DDR3 1600 CAS 7 RAM, and a Geforce 570 HD video card. I use a Dell 30" 2560 x 1600 resolution monitor as my main monitor and a Samsung 25.5" 1920 x 1200 resolution monitor as a secondary screen.

My ultra high speed internet [12 MBps download, 1.5 MBps upload] and Skype Video chat capabilities will greatly aid in doing remote work at home projects! Or if your company doesn't have an extra computer my I can use my laptop for work!

CAPABILITY

5.75 years of overall Professional Work Experience

Mechanical Engineering / CAD / Product Design / Detailing (3.79 years experience)

Technical Writing (2.54 years experience)

Manuals –

online or print

ISO 9000 Process Documentation

Work Instructions

Line Art or Rendered 2-D & 3-D Illustrations

Programming? I studied MFC Visual C++ and Visual Basic, but that was a long time ago.

SKILLS

Skills From Work Experience:

Pro Engineer Wildfire Versions 3 & 2

Intralink 3.3 & 3.4

Windchill (DDMS)

AutoCAD Versions 12 to 2006

Solidworks 2006

GD&T

6 Sigma White Belt Training (at Schlumberger)

MS Office 2003 & earlier

Lotus Notes

RoboHelp HTML Help 9.1

Adobe Acrobat

Sheet Metal

Skills from Personal Use:

Borland C++ 5.02

OFFICE 2003, 2010, & 2013

Flatbed Scanners & Book Scanners

Digital Photography

CD – Rom burning

MathCad 6, 14, and Prime 1.0

Visio Technical

CorelDraw 8

Solidworks 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013

Proengineer Wildfire 4, CREO 1.0

Adobe CS4, CS5, CS5.5, & CS6 - PhotoShop, Illustrator, Dreamweaver

Unstructured Framemaker 7.0

Robohelp 7 & 8

Html, Arachnophelia

Some Solidworks COSMOS, and some Pro Mechanica FEA

SnagIt 10

OCR Software: Abby FineReader 11, OmniPage Professional 18, ReadIris Pro 12

Skills from School Training:

Visual C++ 6.0, MFC

Visual Basic 4.0 to 6.0

Fluid Power (Hydraulics & Pneumatics)

Plastic Injection Mold Design

Woodworking

QuarkExpress

PLCs & Industrial Controls

CNC Lathe Operation

some Mastercam

CAD SKILLS

Pro Engineer Experience –

Sheet Metal

Surfacing

ISDX

Intralink 3.3 / 3.4

Animation

Mechanisms Animation

Plastic Product Modeling

Packaging Modeling

DDMS (Windchill)

Wildfire 3 CADTRAIN COACH ProE Trained

CAD Experience Summary:

91 weeks Wildfire 2

17 weeks Wildfire 3

7 Months Solidworks 2006

2.67 years Autocad [various versions]

In addition, I used Solidworks 2010 on my own project modeling a Stargate video game MAME controller.

EDUCATION

Degree: University of Illinois at Urbana - Champaign: BSME, December 1992

Special Courses Taken: Artificial Intelligence in Manufacturing (ME 393), PC Data Acquisition & Control Using C ( Mfg 330)

Continuing Education Courses Taken:

Depaul University -- Discrete Mathematics

Triton College -- OOP C++, Databases, Desktop Publishing, Java, Windows MFC Programming, Fluid Power, Proengineer, Solidworks,

Woodworking, Sheet Metal, Plastic Injection Mold Design, GD & T

Wright College -- Visual Basic, AutoCAD, PLCs, Industrial Controls, CNC Lathe Operation

NorthEastern IL University -- OOP C++ Data Structures
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment