Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2013, 07:00 AM

254 posts, read 806,789 times

Advertisements

About 7 months ago, I left a job that I had been at for a year. It was only a year because my former job closed it's doors. I really liked the people and job but had to share an office with someone who spit tobacco in a cup all day. I was also promised my own office and training in Germany. The job was about a 50 min commute from my home. My boss was an old German but I really liked him! We hit it off from the start. My co-worker, -"the spitter" and I got along but he insisted on doing my job. He had been doing both the purchasing and Inventory control and found it hard to relinquish his purchasing responsibilities once I came onto the scene. He would take things I had printed out off the printer and
say, "Ill work on this"....some days I left the place seething. I was told I would get my own office but even till this day, they have still not been built. I found a job closer to home in late January of this year. The money was alittle bit better and I thought that it would be a good move given that I could never see
my situation with the "spitter" changing. When I left, they gave me a luncheon and I questioned then if
I was doing the right thing.

Now I have been in the new job about 7 months. I absolutely HATE THIS PLACE! I work with people
that barley speak English. It is a small office and I do not connect with anyone. It has sent me into a major depression and I find myself feeling sick every morning on my drive to work. I sit next to an IT guy who has the personality of a bag of rocks and another girl who speaks so rarely I wonder if she is mute? The work is not challenging and I don't know why the hell I ever took it!!! I should have talked to my German boss at the old place and tried to work things out! I should have talked to the "spitter" and tried to talk to him about my feelings. I made a very bad decision and now I am looking for yet another
job. I am 51 yrs old and time is not on my side. I literally cannot fathom spending the rest of my life
in this place. It is not challenging and I went from purchasing material in the hundreds of thousands
to placing orders for soap and business cards. It was nothing like they described in the interview.

I miss my old job more and more everyday. There is NO chance of going back as I trained a girl who
worked there for my position. Her husband works there and so does her son, so the chance of me
getting my old job back is a big fat 0. Why oh why did I leave that job! I guess I had the grass is greener syndrome. I hate myself for making this lousy decision. I still hear from some of the women
I worked with in the old place and they are telling me how busy they are and how the new offices will
be done soon. I could just cry. I will never like the place I work. It is a small family owned business.
It is just not a fit for me.

I am having trouble finding another job. Any advice for me? How can I make it through this week even.
I live for the weekends now. Ugh, I am not even the same person. I wonder if it's just too damn
late in my life for another job. How can I work here and not want to jump off a bridge at the end of the day?!?! Thank you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2013, 08:48 AM

16,061 posts, read 26,635,793 times
Start looking for a new job. It sounds as if you didn't truly enjoy your old job either? Sometimes it takes awhile before you find the right place for you.

Old 09-09-2013, 10:01 AM

12,098 posts, read 16,979,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimbey View Post

Now I have been in the new job about 7 months. I absolutely HATE THIS PLACE! I work with people
that barley speak English. It is a small office and I do not connect with anyone. It has sent me into a major depression and I find myself feeling sick every morning on my drive to work. I sit next to an IT guy who has the personality of a bag of rocks and another girl who speaks so rarely I wonder if she is mute?
As long as they are not bothering you, who the h@ll cares?

Work is not to make friends or have people you go race go karts with. If you have that, it's a luxury. If they are nice, quiet people, then it's a good thing. I have had people at work who ACTIVELY make my time there miserable. You're 51 years old and you're making fun of immigrants and quiet people because they can't entertain you?

No offense, but based on this post, you don't sound like a very nice person.

Old 09-09-2013, 10:09 AM

254 posts, read 806,789 times
You totally do not get what I am saying. I am not asking to be entertained!! I do not like the work and saying that I work with people that barely speak English is a fact. They don't and I am not making fun of them! I do not like the environment and the job itself. I made a mistake leaving my last position. Go Kart racing? What....? you must be
a teenager

Old 09-09-2013, 10:29 AM

12,098 posts, read 16,979,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimbey View Post
You totally do not get what I am saying. I am not asking to be entertained!! I do not like the work and saying that I work with people that barely speak English is a fact. They don't and I am not making fun of them! I do not like the environment and the job itself. I made a mistake leaving my last position. Go Kart racing? What....? you must be
a teenager
You are the one who made the post. You complained about your co-workers because they are boring, quiet and immigrants. I have had many jobs over many years and so long as someone was nice and didn't bother me, I had no problem with them. How would you like it if you overheard one of your coworkers saying you had the personality of a 'bag of rocks'?

If you don't like the work, quit and look for something else.

Old 09-09-2013, 02:04 PM

23,276 posts, read 23,633,734 times
It happened to me once. I had a recruiter who contacted me through LinkedIn and promised me a position which was a "bed of roses" and when I arrived, it turned out to be a bed of "poison ivy". I knew the first week I was at the new job, but decided to "hang in there" anyway. After 7 months at the new job, I contacted my previous manager at the old job to come back.

Old 09-09-2013, 02:18 PM

1,003 posts, read 1,604,206 times
Both places you described sound awful. I could never work next to someone spitting in a cup all day. I worked next to a guy who would sniff his snot and hawk it all day. I wanted to vomit hearing this and ended up quitting for other reasons as well.

Something awesome is waiting for you. Stay positive and know you made the best decision for yourself at the time. Now the best decision is to find a better company and environment for your well-being. If it's any consolation I work with very frigid, cold, unfriendly people as well. It does make the environment more stiff and uncomfortable and I'm looking for something else too!

Old 09-09-2013, 10:26 PM

259 posts, read 520,970 times
OP, you sound like a very difficult person to get along with and to please. I suggest you do your job and stop complaining so much. You're way too fidgety to be your age. I'm 29 and when I was in my early 20's I was fidgety with jobs. I'm no longer that way and can't imagine leaving a job over the reasons you have, at 51.

You might need to look at yourself first, before deciding on leaving your current job.

Old 09-10-2013, 09:25 AM

1,003 posts, read 1,604,206 times
Quote:
I'm 29 and when I was in my early 20's I was fidgety with jobs. I'm no longer that way and can't imagine leaving a job over the reasons you have, at 51.
Or you've just accepted mediocrity and embraced the corporate smear. There's nothing wrong with looking for the total package in a work environment. Granted, to get through the craptastical times on the clock, yes, I have to look for a few positives or I go insane. What the OP described sounds terrible and that's what chat forums like this are for....to vent and get perspectives.

Old 09-10-2013, 10:11 AM

1 posts, read 2,571 times
Look at the bright side, you HAVE a job.
I had been working in a company for 1.5 years and then found a new job which seemed to be a better job, so I switched.
After only a few days I learned I made a mistake; the new job wasn't what it seemed to be during the job interviews. Although I hated the new place, I tried my best to make things work. But it didn't work out. The new boss said after a few days that they were expecting me to work faster, they were not even giving time to adapt to the new job. So they fired me and I've been looking for a job since. And the job market really sucks, so feel happy you have a job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment