Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2013, 05:35 AM

6,589 posts, read 11,277,081 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierced View Post
If you work in a right to work state you have less rights. The employer can fire you at will and can also mandate that you work as many hours that they want.

For example: http://www.nclabor.com/wh/fact%20sheets/overtime.htm

This is a direct quote from the NC Dept of Labor website:
I think you missed the point - Rabrrita was pointing out that 'right to work' ≠ 'at will'. At will is what you were referring to.

To the OP - I guess my question is - who mentioned the comp time? Was it the very manger you are working for now? or one of the other employees that you talked to? Also - is this a special project that you are trying to complete? Or just the standard run of the mill "keep the lights on" stuff?

If it was the manager that indicated you get comp time, then I would certainly discuss it (of course, if this is a special project with an end in sight, you'll need to be somewhat flexible). Otherwise, I would look for a new job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
This post is exactly why I keep saying that salary is a scam, and should be outlawed for anything other than extremely upper level jobs. Too bad the corporate shrills who dominate this board don't agree with me.
Any policy can be abused. The notion of a salary is that you are paid to accomplish your tasks as opposed to the # of hours you put in (it could be 6 hours, 10 hours or 15 hours...you get paid the same). Are there employers out there that are taking advantage of their workers - absolutely. But the compensation model isn't the problem, the employer is. Changing the model isn't going to solve the issue. Abusive employers will simply alter their tactics.

I personally prefer being salaried. I enjoy the freedom and flexibility of my time as long as I get my job done. I probably worked less than 20 hours last week.... of course it all sort of evens out at the end as I worked a few weekends in a row a few months ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2013, 07:05 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,207,489 times
Take the salary you were hired for and divide by 2080, now take the same salary and divide by your new hours and overtime working weekends... I bet you are making minimum wage. Stop being a sucker and set some boundaries or dust off the resume and go work for the competition.

Old 09-10-2013, 07:08 AM

15,071 posts, read 10,089,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
A salaried position generally offers more flexibility, while an hourly one generally does not.
I have yet to work a salaried job when this was the case. I did have work life balance... when I was a per hour employee.

Yes... Salary is a SCAM. All that flexibility is at the discretion of the employer. All the protections you don't get as an exempt employee is set in stone.

Old 09-10-2013, 09:04 AM

6,793 posts, read 5,658,994 times
COMP TIME, everytime

Old 09-10-2013, 09:57 AM

6,793 posts, read 5,658,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
Comp days are off the books. What happens when you ask your manager for one?
Not much, my boss usually tells me to take some comp time or comp day after working some crazy off hours on a saturday or sunday.

Old 09-10-2013, 10:04 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,118,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
Not much, my boss usually tells me to take some comp time or comp day after working some crazy off hours on a saturday or sunday.

The question was meant for OP but since s/he hasn't been back, I guess it's a moot point.

Old 09-10-2013, 10:04 AM

6,985 posts, read 7,040,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
A salaried position generally offers more flexibility, while an hourly one generally does not.
"Flexible" is a code word for "long hours". You sound like another corporate shrill.

Old 09-10-2013, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slcity View Post
4 months ago, my lying boss sent out an email to the whole team saying that we had a ton of work to do to meet an end of July deadline. He asked us to work weekends if possible, and for each weekend day we worked, he would let us take a Friday off after the deadline. I ended up working 7 weekend days and other people worked on weekends as well, but of course after the deadline passed, my boss never mentioned to anyone that they could take some Fridays off.

The good news for me is that my company has way too many managers. My boss is not the person who signs off on my timesheet - a different manager does that. So when I took a week of vacation last month, I didn't use any vacation days - instead I just billed 5 days to the project without telling my boss since he never sees my timesheet. The timesheet manager signed off on it as I expected since he works on the other side of the country and had no idea I was on vacation! Anyway if they had caught me, I would have just showed them my boss's email and told them I was taking comp days as my boss had promised.
Keep in mind that timesheet fraud is a felony. If you billed hours that you did not work to a client, you can get in very serious trouble if they want to make an example out of you. I'm not saying it's fair, just telling you the reality.

Old 09-10-2013, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
I worked for a company one time that had a 6 day work week, Sunday was our only day off. It got to the point where you couldn't get any chores or shopping done on just one day, so every employee got together and we agreed to tell the owners we couldn't do it any more.

We sat him down in a meeting and said "We want to go to a 5 day work week because we are all burned out on working 6." He said that he was afraid we would fall behind in our work, but we told him we felt we would still do as much and maybe even more because we wouldn't be so tired all the time. He asked when we wanted to start doing that and we said "Today !"

He had no choice because he knew we were ready to walk out, all of us, and he agreed. Productivity DID go up and we stayed on 5 days a week from then on.

Don
Glad that worked out for you and your team. Unfortunately, most other companies have at least one doormat who is willing to work ridiculous hours, and that ruins it for everyone else.

Old 09-10-2013, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierced View Post
If you work in a right to work state you have less rights. The employer can fire you at will and can also mandate that you work as many hours that they want.

For example: http://www.nclabor.com/wh/fact%20sheets/overtime.htm

This is a direct quote from the NC Dept of Labor website:
Quote:
There are no limitations on how many hours an adult employee can required to work regardless if they are a salaried-exempt employee or a non-exempt employee. The employer is only required to pay time and one-half overtime pay based on an employee's regular rate of pay for all hours worked in excess of 40 in a workweek to its non-exempt employees, but there is no limit to how many hours the adult employee may be required to work. The decision to work employees in 8-hour shifts, 12-hour shifts, 16-hour shifts, etc. is entirely up to the employer. The decision to call an employee back in to work on a scheduled day off is entirely up to the employer. An employer can make the working on a scheduled day off or working a full shift as a condition of employment regardless of an employee's start-time or end-time. An employer can make the working of overtime hours as a condition of employment. Since an employer can make the working of overtime mandatory, the employer can terminate an employee if the employee refuses to work overtime regardless of how many hours the employee has already worked that day or workweek. And the employer does not have give its employees any advanced notice of having to work extra hours. An employer can come up at the last minute to inform its employees that they have to work overtime. And the employer does not have to consider how the working of the extra time will affect an employee's personal life.
Basically, employment in the US is legalized slavery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment