Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2013, 12:31 PM

194 posts, read 633,410 times

Advertisements

I was told this when starting my job. I'm a full-time, exempt employee.

I was specifically told during one of my final interviews "If we end up having to work some weekends, we will take some weekdays off to make up for it."

I've been at my job here for a little over a year now, and this quite simply does not happen.

We work normal 8-5 weekdays, sometimes more than that. Then we are expected to work most weekends as well. Sometimes 8-10 hours a day on Saturdays and/or Sundays.

I'm not afraid of hard work but don't appreciate being lied to during the interview. I'm not sure why he would say that if it just wasn't true.

Is there any way to diplomatically bring this issue up without coming across as a lazy worker?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2013, 12:34 PM

106 posts, read 229,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freedom125 View Post
I was told this when starting my job. I'm a full-time, exempt employee.

I was specifically told during one of my final interviews "If we end up having to work some weekends, we will take some weekdays off to make up for it."

I've been at my job here for a little over a year now, and this quite simply does not happen.

We work normal 8-5 weekdays, sometimes more than that. Then we are expected to work most weekends as well. Sometimes 8-10 hours a day on Saturdays and/or Sundays.

I'm not afraid of hard work but don't appreciate being lied to during the interview. I'm not sure why he would say that if it just wasn't true.

Is there any way to diplomatically bring this issue up without coming across as a lazy worker?
If you are in a right to work state there is no good way to bring this up.

Exempt usually means you are exempt from any protection regarding how many hours you are expected to work.

Been there, done that. Never again.

Old 09-09-2013, 12:45 PM

194 posts, read 633,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierced View Post
If you are in a right to work state there is no good way to bring this up.

Exempt usually means you are exempt from any protection regarding how many hours you are expected to work.

Been there, done that. Never again.
I know what exempt means. I'm trying to figure out if there is a good way to bring up what my boss had promised during the interview, seeing as how he had not fulfilled that promise in any way.

Old 09-09-2013, 12:46 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,017,122 times
Comp days are off the books. What happens when you ask your manager for one?

Old 09-09-2013, 12:48 PM

106 posts, read 229,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freedom125 View Post
I know what exempt means. I'm trying to figure out if there is a good way to bring up what my boss had promised during the interview, seeing as how he had not fulfilled that promise in any way.
Okie Dokie, was not implying you did not know what it meant.

But...you can simply state to the manager that you would like time in exchange for your long weekend hours. Don't be surprised if you do not get an answer that satisfies you.

Old 09-09-2013, 12:49 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,719,617 times
Do you have a log of the weekend hours you worked? I would approach it in a casual conversation like:

Hey boss, I have some [personal stuff] to take care of next week [in two weeks etc]. I've put in 30 hours over the past XX weeks on Saturday and Sunday, so why don't we use this incident as comp time for those occasions last month/quarter.

Was it in writing or verbal?

Old 09-09-2013, 01:21 PM

13,011 posts, read 12,969,062 times
I fell for that line once. Terrible mistake. Some companies take terrible advantage of employees.

You might get a comp day now and again, but if the company culture is built on working 6+ days/week, you should probably simply dust off your résumé.

Old 09-09-2013, 02:01 PM

23,305 posts, read 23,696,635 times
I had a position like this (but only worked one day on the weekend about once every 2-3 months) and my manager gave me a comp day when I asked for it (he was a great manager and was fair). If your manager will not grant you time off (ask professionally and nicely), I would start searching for another position.

Old 09-09-2013, 02:23 PM

12,066 posts, read 23,121,341 times
Remind the boss of his statement and ask him what weekdays he wants you to take off. Does anyone else take their comp time?

Old 09-09-2013, 03:37 PM

4,003 posts, read 6,062,225 times
I know people spout out things like this generation has an entitlted mentality and things like that and to a point people have a point when saying that but I hate how simply wanting a work life balance these days makes you lazy or wanting the company to live up to the job description they promised means your not willing to work hard.

If I started only comming into work 4 days a week my employer would not be okay with that so why is it okay for them to want me ot work 6 days a week but I can't say anything about that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment