Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2013, 02:25 PM

595 posts, read 2,701,744 times

Advertisements

I am a Dental Hygienist and have moved to a different state recently. Because licensing is handled by the state, the requirements can vary greatly. I'm trying to figure out whether I should continue pursuing this career field or if I should cut my losses and move on.

It has been a hard road; full time student with a husband in the military, two kids, and then having to stay behind for a year to finish the degree while my husband and kids moved to another state. I did it, passed my boards, got my license and after a year and a half finally found a pt job. I loved it. I truly enjoyed all of my patients and was challenged with each new patient I met. Then we get orders and move. In order for me to work here I would need to take additional courses and completely retake my boards. This would cost about $6K just for the courses and the boards (does not include cost for childcare and hotel bill for when I take the boards) not to mention the stress of taking the boards. I never wanted to have to repeat that stress. When I first learned of this I initially wrote off pursuing it here and decided to look for admin work or just stay home with the kids. We know we will most likely only be here for four years. My husband is close to retiring from the military but unless he were to find a job here, we would be moving.

I am still paying off the debt accumulated during the year of separation to finish the degree initially. Pursuing this would put off paying the debt even more. BUT if I did get my license here and could find a job, the pay is very good, even part time, so it wouldn't take much longer to pay it off. I also worry that if I do this and can't find a job, I'm out even more money.

I'm probably just over thinking it, but would appreciate other's thoughts. WWYD if in my shoes. I hate feeling like I'm not contributing and with my DH being so close to retirement, and with us not being in a good place financially, I feel I should be working to help put us on a better path. I just don't want to give it up after everything I've dealt with to get my degree but I fear I may have to. It feels like all I've done is pay for the privilege to pursue this degree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2013, 04:10 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,082,144 times
If the 6K is what is holding you back, it wouldn't even be a question for me. That's peanuts in the long run. And on top of that, you like the work.

Now ... if you feel you could get an offer as an admin that paid you the same or more and you think you might like the work more, THEN you might want to reconsider plunking down the time and $ to get re-certified in a new state. But as is, that really doesn't seem to be the case.

So, if I were in your shoes, it wouldn't even be a question.

Of course, it's just my opinion, I don't know your whole situation.

Old 09-09-2013, 05:23 PM

141 posts, read 299,274 times
Enjoying your work goes a long way. If you do love your career then I wouldn't consider changing gears over $6K. What I think is more concerning is not being able to transfer your education to other states. Is this common to the field or just some weird problem with licensure in your current state?

Also could you perhaps get a job at a dental office as a dental assistant while you work on the additional classes? That way you're making money, working in the field you love, and making professional connections that may be useful once you finish those classes and get your license.

Old 09-09-2013, 05:57 PM

2,845 posts, read 6,010,448 times
I would also do it. It shouldn't take you too long to retake the classes and boards right? Even if it's a whole year, that's 3 more years of work in that field. And who knows, what if you never move again?

I'd do it.

Old 09-09-2013, 06:13 PM

3,032 posts, read 4,733,092 times
Honestly, it depends. How much would you make as a DH compared to other jobs you might be qualified to obtain in that area that would not have the boards/licensing issues that you are having currently? Do you know if your husband has orders in that area for a certain amount of time or does he have the potential to move around again? If he has the potential to deploy or be given papers elsewhere, I don't think I would pay for this, but try to get a position working as an office manager/office assistant at a dental office and recertify when I make my final move?

Old 09-09-2013, 06:21 PM

595 posts, read 2,701,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starfish27 View Post
Enjoying your work goes a long way. If you do love your career then I wouldn't consider changing gears over $6K. What I think is more concerning is not being able to transfer your education to other states. Is this common to the field or just some weird problem with licensure in your current state?

Also could you perhaps get a job at a dental office as a dental assistant while you work on the additional classes? That way you're making money, working in the field you love, and making professional connections that may be useful once you finish those classes and get your license.

So short answer is yes, it's common to the field of Dental Hygiene. That's been my biggest issue with this career field. As a military spouse, I kinda need something that travels well. Did not realize this would be an issue when I was in school. Generally, if you stay within the same region as the board you took after school, then it's not an issue. The issue is when you move out of region. So for example I got my degree in the NE and took the North East Regional Board. When we moved to the midwest, they accepted my scores from the NE and received my license no problem. The West Coast, however, is more progressive and requires RDH's to have expanded functions so they have stopped accepting other regions board scores. I think it's a money making racket quite frankly but that's neither here nor there at this point.

As to working as an Assistant that would be fine if I had training as an Assistant. The two roles are actually completely different. Many Assistants also go to school, albeit a 1 year certification program. So unfortunately that is out as well unless I see a position advertised where training is being offered (those are not common). I have been keeping my eye open for front desk positions though.

Old 09-09-2013, 08:13 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,852,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starfish27 View Post
It is common for lots of fields: pharmacy, real estate, law....

Old 02-27-2016, 12:50 PM

5 posts, read 12,333 times
Curious what you decided to do? I am currently in this exact same situation. I am going to have to retake my dental boards all over again as well as the expanded function test, it is going probably going to be between $8000-10,000. We would be there for 3 years but could end up there forever if we did like it. Oh what to do???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment