Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2013, 06:05 PM

3,082 posts, read 5,436,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
It shouldn't be about negativity or positivity.

The reality is, there aren't enough jobs relatively to the size of the labor pool. You can post all of the job openings in the world, ***** about Obama all you want, ***** about people attending college all you want, ***** about the number of children people are having all you want, complain about so-called negative nancys all you want, whatever. Trying to suggest otherwise, in a condescending "I'm a know-it-all, get over it!!!" tone no less, makes you come across as ill-informed at best, and as an ******* at worst. The last thing people need when struggling to find employment to support themselves are people rubbing salt in their wounds.
...or people posting insightful threads about the types of jobs that ARE available. Or people trying to be encouraging and suggesting that there is hope, to just have a better outlook on things.

Those people are the absolute worst I tell ya.

Old 09-09-2013, 06:05 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,124,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekkie View Post
Simply put, we don't want to train you. So we'll cry shortage instead.
That's over-simplifying things. So I'm a business owner and I'm trying to build a product (we've been mostly service-oriented prior). I am on a mission to hire 130 people in the next 2 years. So I've been interviewing like crazy. I've interviewed several people (dozens) that have been unemployed for over 2 years. I've even hired many of them. What amazes me the most about these people is that during their unemployment they haven't invested in themselves at all. They haven't taken training, kept up to date, or learned anything fresh since their last job. Why am I going to help someone who isn't going to help themselves in terms of keeping up with the industry? That person is useless.

Not everyone is like that. I've hired several people who have been out of the job market for some time. Some as long as 5 years. But they've kept on top of the industry and changes in technology.

Old 09-09-2013, 06:08 PM

3,082 posts, read 5,436,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
That's over-simplifying things. So I'm a business owner and I'm trying to build a product (we've been mostly service-oriented prior). I am on a mission to hire 130 people in the next 2 years. So I've been interviewing like crazy. I've interviewed several people (dozens) that have been unemployed for over 2 years. I've even hired many of them. What amazes me the most about these people is that during their unemployment they haven't invested in themselves at all. They haven't taken training, kept up to date, or learned anything fresh since their last job. Why am I going to help someone who isn't going to help themselves in terms of keeping up with the industry? That person is useless.

Not everyone is like that. I've hired several people who have been out of the job market for some time. Some as long as 5 years. But they've kept on top of the industry and changes in technology.
I was being facetious mostly. But yeah, I agree with you. I know people who are like those you described as well and their careers have been stunted dramatically simply from lack of caring about it.

Old 09-09-2013, 06:09 PM

1,923 posts, read 2,409,227 times
They will have to train? That doesn't seem to be what's happening. It seems the jobs are just going unfilled and the companies are crying shortage. I'm sure you've seen job ads that have been up for months or even years, I have.

The new york times did an article a few months ago about how patient employers seem to be. "Waiting for perfection" was the title.

Old 09-09-2013, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parried View Post
They will have to train? That doesn't seem to be what's happening. It seems the jobs are just going unfilled and the companies are crying shortage. I'm sure you've seen job ads that have been up for months or even years, I have.

The new york times did an article a few months ago about how patient employers seem to be. "Waiting for perfection" was the title.
I'll have to check out that article. I'm a strong believer of saving your money until you find exactly what you want. I spent two years shopping for a home to finally just end up building a custom one because nothing was ideal.

Old 09-09-2013, 06:16 PM

29,795 posts, read 24,880,628 times
Quote:
It shouldn't be about negativity or positivity.

The reality is, there aren't enough jobs relatively to the size of the labor pool. You can post all of the job openings in the world, ***** about Obama all you want, ***** about people attending college all you want, ***** about the number of children people are having all you want, complain about so-called negative nancys all you want, whatever. Trying to suggest otherwise, in a condescending "I'm a know-it-all, get over it!!!" tone no less, makes you come across as ill-informed at best, and as an ******* at worst. The last thing people need when struggling to find employment to support themselves are people rubbing salt in their wounds.

You could have summed up your rant with just one click...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekkie View Post
How many negative nancys or pessimists do you know that are successful?

I don't always agree with andy, but he might be on to something here. I'd be willing to bet that most successful people tend to be more upbeat and optimistic. In other words, where the pessimist sees a dreary outlook, the optimist sees opportunity. You might try giving it a shot and see how it works for a change.

Optimists have always seemed better off to me, and I could never figure it out for the life of me. Then I had a realization that maybe it's their attitude that makes the difference. Pessimists are always looking at the negative side of things and it tends to hold them down from putting in as much of an effort that they need to in order to be successful. Why should they though? In their mind, it won't make a difference either way. And hence the self-perpetuating cycle of failure and negativity thrives. In the meantime, the optimist is thinking about what else s/he can accomplish or take on.
And I'm not even that much of an optimist. The world kinda sucks and it doesn't seem to be improving in that front. Getting by is about the best anyone can ask for anymore for a number of reasons. None the less, I've got absolutely no choice but to go out at do the best I can every day. My success tomorrow absolutely depends on the effort I give today. Much of that hinges on the attitude I have.

One of my bosses told me when I started working... There are two kinds of people in this world... Those who say a job can't be done, and those who actually give it a try. He went on to say he had absolutely no interest in the former. 90% of that is attitude and outlook.

Old 09-09-2013, 06:19 PM

1,923 posts, read 2,409,227 times
Quote:
I'll have to check out that article. I'm a strong believer of saving your money until you find exactly what you want. I spent two years shopping for a home to finally just end up building a custom one because nothing was ideal.
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/07/bu...anted=all&_r=0

Old 09-09-2013, 06:21 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
The problem is in matching people who are looking for jobs with the jobs that are open, and right now there is no good fit. People go to college and major in a subject that is in nig demand at the time, and when they graduate the market for it has been reduced. Others work at their chosen career a few years then get laid off as demand decreases. You have to either be flexible and willing to learn something different or find a career that is not likely to slow down or go away. Ask all of the mortgage brokers, home inspectors and real estate agents that were starving in 2008-2010. The cuurent shortage of machinists is due to the numbers retiring and the fact that everyone went to college rather than a trade school. Probably many of them were worried about outsourcing of manufacturing jobs, but while a lot of it is done in China there are still machinists needed here. It's easier and less expensive for a manufacturer to hire foreign
people that are skilled already than to train, so hopefully people will start to consider trade school now before the government starts issuing something like the H-1B visa for machinists.

Old 09-09-2013, 06:21 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,737,180 times
Quote:
That's over-simplifying things. So I'm a business owner and I'm trying to build a product (we've been mostly service-oriented prior). I am on a mission to hire 130 people in the next 2 years. So I've been interviewing like crazy. I've interviewed several people (dozens) that have been unemployed for over 2 years. I've even hired many of them. What amazes me the most about these people is that during their unemployment they haven't invested in themselves at all. They haven't taken training, kept up to date, or learned anything fresh since their last job. Why am I going to help someone who isn't going to help themselves in terms of keeping up with the industry?
Does that change the fact that you still need 130 people in the next 2 years to buy the product?

Either you train the people that are applying for the job, or you offer the people you think would qualify a decent enough compensation to attract them.

That's how it's worked for the past 20 centuries. No good reason why it should be different now.

Old 09-09-2013, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Does that change the fact that you still need 130 people in the next 2 years to buy the product?

Either you train the people that are applying for the job, or you offer the people you think would qualify a decent enough compensation to attract them.

That's how it's worked for the past 20 centuries. No good reason why it should be different now.
Build, not buy.

The success of my organization is highly dependant on hiring the right people. If that extends beyond 2 years and delays our plans, sobeit. It's better than hiring the wrong people. I've had great success with recruiting from top universities. They're fresh, up to speed in the industry, and have amazing learning capacity. Not much experience, but that's not always a bad thing in the technology field.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment