U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does your workplace have unlimited PTO?
Is this the Onion? 15 41.67%
Of course, my company is cutting edge like that. 7 19.44%
I need to switch jobs pronto. 14 38.89%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2013, 08:16 PM

27,171 posts, read 29,703,335 times

Advertisements

So I am starting to apply for jobs, and I saw an interesting benefit on one:

Unlimited vacation.

I was puzzled. But apparently it is gaining traction.

To Recruit Techies, Companies Offer Unlimited Vacation - Businessweek

Does your workplace have it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2013, 08:23 PM

24,503 posts, read 35,470,472 times
It's fairly common in tech areas. Silicon Valley, NYC, NJ, Boston, Austin, Portland, Pittsburg etc. The tech world doesn't care about hours. It cares about getting stuff done.

Old 09-09-2013, 08:24 PM

113 posts, read 185,961 times
Never heard of such a thing. Never would have even conceived something like this could exist.

Old 09-09-2013, 08:25 PM

14,074 posts, read 16,105,531 times
Probably works okay. $1000/week is about half pay rather than full pay. Given the nature of the work, having someone burnt out and just going through the motions isn't beneficial. Most of those people probably like their jobs as it is. Now, take a more menial job and offer 100% and I doubt it'd work so well. Sure, there's always the fear of taking too much and being fired.

If I don't have a deadline and don't feel like working, I never do. I don't even try anymore. It's never effective. Deadlines are great for instilling the want to work in some things and less useful in others, especially creative work.

Old 09-09-2013, 08:29 PM

24,503 posts, read 35,470,472 times
An example of the NY tech scene: Graphic Designer (UI) - GameChanger, US - New York, New York | Job Postings from Coroflot.com

Quote:
We work hard, but we have lives outside of work and few rules. We also offer health benefits, a 401k plan, stock options, unlimited vacation, flexible work hours, two beer fridges, and weekly classes taught by GameChanger employees on a wide range of topics such as design principles, angel and VC funding, and fencing.

Old 09-09-2013, 08:44 PM

7,238 posts, read 10,905,792 times
I can see that being the case for salaried workers. They're not paid by the hour, but by the job.

Old 09-10-2013, 10:17 AM

5,193 posts, read 4,897,571 times
I have never worked for a company that offers unlimited vacation time. Honestly, I would not want to work at such a company. Although unlimited vacation time sounds beneficial to the employee, it really is not beneficial to the employee at all. Reasons why unlimited vacation time is a bad thing:

1. They will just give you so much work that taking a vacation and still getting your work done is impossible, no matter how many hours you work.

2. You will be judged by how little vacation time you take. Unfortunately, someone who takes even a modest amount of vacation time will be judged unfavorably compared to the person who takes little or no vacation.

3. You will not get paid for any vacation time that you don't take.

Old 09-10-2013, 10:44 AM

9,856 posts, read 13,435,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
I have never worked for a company that offers unlimited vacation time. Honestly, I would not want to work at such a company. Although unlimited vacation time sounds beneficial to the employee, it really is not beneficial to the employee at all. Reasons why unlimited vacation time is a bad thing:

1. They will just give you so much work that taking a vacation and still getting your work done is impossible, no matter how many hours you work.

2. You will be judged by how little vacation time you take. Unfortunately, someone who takes even a modest amount of vacation time will be judged unfavorably compared to the person who takes little or no vacation.

Some people actually enjoy the work they do. Not everyone wants to get through a day being paid for doing as little as possible...

Old 09-10-2013, 10:51 AM

13,343 posts, read 17,428,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post

1. Maybe, but that has nothing to do with the unlimited vacation policy.
2. That may happen regardless of whether vacation is limited or unlimited.
3. Well, yes, because there's no accrual. I bet this is the real reason why some companies are adopting it but I'm not sure how this is accounted for in the books.

Old 09-10-2013, 10:54 AM

5,193 posts, read 4,897,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Some people actually enjoy the work they do. Not everyone wants to get through a day being paid for doing as little as possible...
First of all, where in my post did I say that I want to get through a day for doing as little as possible?

Secondly, even people who enjoy the work that they do still need some time away from work to do other things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment