Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2013, 09:57 AM

1,003 posts, read 1,608,048 times

Advertisements

I've been working a temp to perm position for six weeks. The agency told me it was a three month contract, and this company has been known to hire people full-time after a month or extend the contract indefinitely.

My concerns are:

In six weeks I've seen 7 people leave.
The lady I replaced told me she's seen 30+ people leave in her 2 years here.
They aren't back-filling any positions.
We've had company meetings with the CEO telling us there's current restructuring.
Angry customers from lack of communication and people leaving the company midway through projects.
Office moral is frigid because everyone is fearful to lose their jobs.
There's rumors my own boss is leaving.
I believe this place is going under, fast.

I have been circulating my resume since I began working here, no bites. However, I've gotten into a routine. I will be out of debt the end of the year and vow never to work in corporate America again. I took this job just for the money. Not the best money, but easy and almost stress free.

Should I contact my agency to jump ship and see if they have anything else or just ride the storm and see where it goes? I won't use this place on my resume, so it doesn't really matter one way or another.

Thank you for your insights and opinions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2013, 10:08 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,067,272 times
Since it looks like the company is going under, there's no reason for you to hold out hope for a permanent position.
You still need the work and there's only a bit more than 3 months left until end of year so, IMO, you should ride it out while requesting a new assignment (if they can find you one before then). That is, as long as you don't have to personally deal with angry customers.

Old 09-10-2013, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
Since it looks like the company is going under, there's no reason for you to hold out hope for a permanent position.
You still need the work and there's only a bit more than 3 months left until end of year so, IMO, you should ride it out while requesting a new assignment (if they can find you one before then). That is, as long as you don't have to personally deal with angry customers.
Thank you for your comment. I'm not holding out for a permanent position at all and realize what minimal work I'm doing here doesn't really matter. It's just an easy paycheck while I knock down my bills. I am dealing first hand with angry customers, however, not on a daily basis. There is extreme dysfunction here. After six weeks, I still have no idea what my exact job duties are or what I'm supposed to be doing. The people whom I question concerning a procedure answer my question, but do not explain anything to me. The only training I received was a few days of verbal and a hand-written spiral notebook. :/

Old 09-10-2013, 10:21 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,067,272 times
ok, so you don't care about the work or the job and it's just a means to a soon-to-be end... what's the quandary?

Last edited by jaypee; 09-10-2013 at 10:53 AM..

Old 09-10-2013, 10:24 AM

973 posts, read 1,450,284 times
About the same boat I am in. Ride out the money and keep looking. Thats pretty much all you can do for now.

Old 09-10-2013, 10:29 AM

Quote:
ok, so you don't care about the work or the job and it's just means to a soon-to-be end... what's the quandary?
I am looking for insights and perspectives. Don't know when this place will fold and am not sure if I'm ready ask the agency for something else since I've been here for awhile. They could put me in an even worse position. Guess I'll sit tight. Thanks again.

Old 09-10-2013, 10:48 AM

I will add this... I was told of another Temp. service with better prospects of of temp. to hire and jobs that are more along the lines of what I am trained in. Pay is a little lower that what I am getting now. I think I am going to contact them soon as the position I am in know carries something like a 10% chance of getting hired on basically because of the Union Contract that is in place at that job. Even if they like you, unless there is a Perm. spot open, you will get release at 90 days. Just the reality of that spot so it is a in the mean time job. They roll through Temps. So, I am riding out the money until I find something better, get released or get hired on.

Old 09-10-2013, 10:50 AM

Double post.. sorry

Old 09-10-2013, 11:03 AM

Quote:
I will add this... I was told of another Temp. service with better prospects of of temp. to hire and jobs that are more along the lines of what I am trained in. Pay is a little lower that what I am getting now. I think I am going to contact them soon as the position I am in know carries something like a 10% chance of getting hired on basically because of the Union Contract that is in place at that job. Even if they like you, unless there is a Perm. spot open, you will get release at 90 days. Just the reality of that spot so it is a in the mean time job. They roll through Temps. So, I am riding out the money until I find something better, get released or get hired on.
Great times we live in, huh? Appreciate your thoughts. I am going to keep applying and when the time comes I will use agencies to fall back on. Thanks again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment