Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2013, 02:47 PM

1 posts, read 1,306 times

Advertisements

I am interested in becoming a management analyst, and I am hoping to talk to someone who is currently in this job field or a similar one to gain some insight. I am currently working on my BSBA and I plan on focusing on Management as my major. I am still trying to figure out what minor I am going to focus on. For the minor I am thinking either economics or psycology. If anyone has any input on which minor would be best I would really appreciate it. I am also open to suggestions other than economics or psycology if there are better options. I have done a large amount of research on this job opportunity, but I feel as though it may be biased. I am really wanting first hand knowledge so I know it is genuine information, Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2013, 11:26 AM

1,077 posts, read 2,072,742 times
clearly, nobody here knows what a management analyst is. myself included

Old 09-15-2013, 11:32 AM

13,250 posts, read 33,399,774 times
Moved from the education forum. Hope posters in this forum can help!

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 09-15-2013, 02:05 PM

3,032 posts, read 4,719,897 times
I don't know any management analysts; however, I have always seen people with a management degree struggle. The reason for this is people seem to think a degree in management will lead them to a mid-level manager role and that doesn't happen. In fact, many of them are underemployed or unemployed, because most managers I have seen were people who had that specialty (ie. a past finance graduate as manager of collections, a past accounting graduate as manager of accounts reconciliation, etc) I googled it and the description looked vague "help company to improve an organization's efficiency"... to me, that seems like something where someone would need a specific amount of industry experience to be able to consult on the best ways to improve an organization's efficiency. ...also, if the key to the position is understanding efficiency, then I would probably major in operations management (some schools call this decision support or management science) and minor in management. I consider management to be one of the "soft" business majors, along with marketing and hotel tourism management, so if you choose the management major then I would get a more "hard" minor like computer information systems as opposed to something else "soft" like psychology and to a smaller degree economics.

Old 09-15-2013, 03:36 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,226 posts, read 80,425,063 times
I was a Management Analyst for several years at a public agency in the San Francisco Bay Area. In fact, one of my first duties in the position before it was titled was to create the job description for the series. What I ended up with was Management Analyst I, II, and Principle Management Analyst, the latter with the responsibility to supervise other lower level analysts. Currently those jobs start at $6,400, $7,000 and $7,800/month with great benefits and are exempt. Below is the actual job description for the job I had. With copy and paste the format is messed up, sorry about that but you get the idea. At the time I had a BA in Psychology with graduate work, and 10+ years experience at the same agency doing much of the same work but as a supervisor.

MANAGEMENT ANALYST II

DEFINITION
Under direction, performs difficult to complex
administrative, budgetary, statistical, systems and
other management analyses on a variety of professional areas such as general management,
administration, information systems, budget and finance and other related areas; research, review,
assess grant funding opportunities; makes recommendations on the basis of completed studies and
analyses; performs other related duties as required.
DISTINGUISHING CHARACTERISTICS
This is the journey level of the Management Analyst classification series. In a staff capacity,
analysts in this class perform difficult to complex, analytical work in various management areas such as
budgeting and finance, general administration, informat
ion systems, grant-writing, and other related
areas. Major duties of positions in this class include continuing assignments of a comprehensive and
analytical nature in several areas of management. Assignments are given without detailed instructions
and individuals are expected to exercise a wide latitude of independent judgment in the selection of
methodology, analytical technique and in making recommendations. This class is distinguished from the
Principal Management Analyst class which is a technical supervisory class involved in considerably
more complex and highly analytical work usually in the area of budget and finance and general
administration in a large department.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
(Illustrative Only
)
Plans, organizes, and prepares a departmental division or program budgets; monitors and
evaluates budget and fiscal expenditures; recommends adjustments to budgetary and financial activities.
Conducts studies on departmental or in
terdepartmental operations and administrative
problems in areas such as policies, procedures, functions, productivity, space planning, organizational
structure, facilities and equipment, etc.
Plans, organizes, develops, conducts, and monito
rs projects on a variety of areas such as
systems analyses, office automation, goal setting, cost analyses, etc., using quantitative methods.
Researches and identifies areas for grant funding and work with other District employees
and private, State and Federal agencies to develop proposals.
Discusses findings, conclusions and recommendations with managers, supervisors, and
other appropriate personnel; makes formal presentation of recommendations as required; prepares
reports on the basis of analyses and in relation to immediate and long-range organizational goals.
Plans, develops, evaluates, and implement
s the use of personal computers including
software evaluation, application, and reports generation.
Collects, compiles, and analyzes information and data necessary in the preparation of
reports, memoranda, and other documents; may develop format to facilitate clear understanding of
materials to be presented.
Coordinates projects, studies, programs, and other activities with appropriate
departmental staff and other agencies.
Coordinates implementation of grant related projects, including planning, design,
specification and construction inspection; ensure adherence to reporting requirements, financial
regulations, and budgetary tracking and reimbursement requirements from granting agency.
Prepares technical reports, memos, correspondence, manuals, and other documents.
11. May conduct studies related to information systems including development and
application; may work with data processing personnel in an assigned project in the development of
appropriate systems and procedures.
12. May direct the work of lower level staff personnel and clerical employees.
13. Performs related duties and responsibilities as required.
CLASSIFICATION REQUIREMENTS
Minimum Qualifications:
Working Knowledge of:
The principles, practices, and methods of administrative and
organizational analyses; procedures developmen
t; management principle and techniques; common
statistical research and graphic presentation methods; budget preparation, execution, and control.
General Knowledge of:
electronic data processing applications; principles involved in the
development of information systems.
Skill in:
Applying administrative principles and techniques to the solution of various management
problems; identifying and analyzing difficult and complex problems; and collecting, evaluating and
interpreting data, policies, procedures and applicable laws and regulations; applying techniques in the
use of microcomputers.
Ability to:
Write and speak effectively; prepare complete and accurate reports and
correspondence; meet deadlines and coordinate activities with various organizational units; and maintain
effective working relationships with personnel at all organizational levels in situations requiring instruction,
persuasion, and negotiation.
Education and Experience:
Any combination of education and experience that has led to the
acquisition of the knowledges, skills, and abilities as indicated above. Typical ways of acquiring these
knowledges, skills, and abilities are:
Knowledges, Skills, and Abilities:
Completion of four years of college, resulting in graduation or its equivalent, with major
work in business or public administration or a directly related field, and two years of
professional experience in administrative,
management, budgetary, or systems analyses.
A Master's degree in business or public administration or a closely related field may be
substituted for one year of experience.
Other Requirements:
Must possess the physical requirements to perform the important and
critical duties of the job. Must be willing to work overtime as needed

Old 09-17-2013, 03:23 PM

131 posts, read 519,948 times
The question is, how lucky do you have to be to pick up a job like this? I'm sure that you don't have to have a psychology degree.

Old 09-17-2013, 06:32 PM

156 posts, read 446,468 times
What do you think a management analyst is? In my mind, a management analyst is usually a sort of internal consultant -- tasked with solving a specific problem. I'd recommend trying to obtain a lot of experience in a particular industry/field and definitely minoring in economics, hopefully in a quantitative track.

Old 09-17-2013, 09:22 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,226 posts, read 80,425,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norlan View Post
The question is, how lucky do you have to be to pick up a job like this? I'm sure that you don't have to have a psychology degree.
No, but it helps if the degree is from a program heavy in statistical analysis and the graduate work in
industrial and organizational psychology. Some IT background and business experience, also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment