Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2013, 07:49 PM

559 posts, read 1,465,826 times

Advertisements

So....everyday it's like a new thing for my supervisor to be picky about. I have no idea if it's because I'm not just like him and I am not in love with paperwork and actually do my job requirement and don't fit the norm of a normal government agency employee but I am about to lose it in a bad way.

First of all, he says that my paperwork is late. It's not and I tell him that and he gets mad and implements a new deadline for all paperwork.

Now, he's saying that before I talk to ANYBODY I need to ask him first. I have to ask his permission to talk to other employees.....I'm pretty sure I don't and I know I am not going to but really....what's his problem? He does not give this crap out to anyone else! How do I approach this? I need this job for right now and I'm already going out of my way to stay out of his way and do my job with little help from him.

This came about because we hired another employee from a different facility and I mentioned that I was keeping in touch with her about carpooling when she moved here....and he sends me an email because he never talks to me face to face....about how in the future I need to let him know BEFORE I contact other employees. He nags about my paperwork, accuses me of not seeing kids on my caseload that I have been seeing consistently, and then says I have to ask HIS permission before I talk to people!?!?! But when I ask him for his help, I get no reply and no help. How do I handle this? What do I do???

I see all the kids on my caseload. ALL my kids have shown improvement, every single one. He actually got mad because a kid he didn't like was on my caseload and he did so well he got to go home on parole. And another kid was doing well that he didn't like and he said I didn't need to see him anymore. And there's no one higher up I can go to because at our facility we are a separate branch and we have only one or two people over us. And if I contact HIS boss, it will just cause MORE problems for me. I don't know how to approach this...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2013, 08:25 PM

3,082 posts, read 5,436,826 times
I remember you posting about this before. I am sorry you are going through this. I have a micro-managing superior as well. She's always checking up on me, asking me when this or that will be done. I have a proven track record in my role, so there is absolutely no reason to doubt that I will get the work done. No matter, she is always checking in. Micro-managing tends to stem from insecurity. Your superior may have doubts about the security of his own job, so he finds it necessary to micro-manage every detail in your daily work.

I see three possible options you have at your disposal.

1) You can address how you feel directly with your micro-managing supervisor. I think most people would advise against this, and deservedly so. Nobody likes to be criticized, and thus critiquing your already overreaching boss might result in even more micro-managing down the road.

2) I had suggested in your first thread that you learn to manage up. This means to cut off your micro-managing superior before they come to you. Learn their patterns, learn how they like things done and always be ten steps ahead of them.

3) Look for a new job. If you can't deal with a micro-manager (and believe me, not many people can), then your best bet is to find someone who is not.

Old 09-11-2013, 08:27 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,472,767 times
The only people that need micromanagement...................are those that shouldn't be working that job in the first place. You are self motivated or not. MM just builds bitterness. Yes it was done to me when I was late 20's in sales, and frankly I needed it then. But when I started to make the $$$ in sales I became self motivated.

Old 09-11-2013, 09:08 PM

2,845 posts, read 6,010,863 times
I would look elsewhere, and he cannot dictate to you who you can and can't talk to. You were speaking to someone about carpooling, nothing to do with the job or remotely inappropriate. Is that an option for you to find another job?

BTW me personally I'd speak to him and tell him you are feeling singled out by him and ask him if there is any issue with your work that needs to be discussed in person and not through email. Then during the meeting I'd ask why you have to let him know before you speak to a coworker about things not work related. I'd phrase it in a way that asks if you are misunderstanding something.

This is why that sort of communication should be face to face and not through email

Old 09-12-2013, 09:41 AM

I have tried to keep up with him and what he wants. I mean, I THOUGHT I was doing that but he got mad when I was meeting the deadlines so now.........there are even WORSE deadlines! He does not do face to face well at all. So that's the problem. He won't talk or say anything. He just sits there and says well that's the way it is. Blah blah blah.

I definitely do not need to micromanaged. I do my job and get my paperwork in. I even go above and beyond what is expected here by implementing programs, getting things donated to our facility, creating groups, and a hundred other little things. There is absolutely no reason for me to be singled out at all. It's just really frustrating.

I have been looking for a job for over a year now. It's kind of hard to find anything in my field but I am constantly looking everyday. I hope I find something soon!

Old 09-12-2013, 09:57 AM

1,003 posts, read 1,611,162 times
I'd go to Human Resources and complain as well. I suffered under a micromanager and I have never been so physically sick in my life!

Old 09-12-2013, 10:10 AM

The problem with that is......everybody else LOVES him. I don't think going to HR would do me any good. He's just not going to change, period. I just don't know HOW to deal with him and everyone else at this place at the same time and it is driving me crazy. I cried last night because I had to come to work today. I know there are worse places to work but knowing that I went to school, got my license, and put all my hard work into all that and coming here and having to be beat down everyday about how what I do isn't important and everything I do gets demeaned....it makes it really hard to deal with.

Old 09-12-2013, 10:16 AM

3,082 posts, read 5,436,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by etjaipleure View Post
The problem with that is......everybody else LOVES him. I don't think going to HR would do me any good. He's just not going to change, period. I just don't know HOW to deal with him and everyone else at this place at the same time and it is driving me crazy. I cried last night because I had to come to work today. I know there are worse places to work but knowing that I went to school, got my license, and put all my hard work into all that and coming here and having to be beat down everyday about how what I do isn't important and everything I do gets demeaned....it makes it really hard to deal with.
I'd keep looking for a new job, as you have been. In the meantime, maybe you can set up some meetings with him to gauge how he thinks you're performing. Being that you're new, he might not trust you completely yet (remember, micro-managing stems from insecurity). My micro-managing superior was terrible when I first started (at least from my perspective, never having a micro-manager before), but after two years, she seems to have eased up a bit. She'll still follow up with me on things, but the frequency is much less than it used to be.

Old 09-12-2013, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekkie View Post
I'd keep looking for a new job, as you have been. In the meantime, maybe you can set up some meetings with him to gauge how he thinks you're performing. Being that you're new, he might not trust you completely yet (remember, micro-managing stems from insecurity). My micro-managing superior was terrible when I first started (at least from my perspective, never having a micro-manager before), but after two years, she seems to have eased up a bit. She'll still follow up with me on things, but the frequency is much less than it used to be.

The thing is...I'm not new. I have already been here for two years :/ and he just keeps getting WORSE AND WORSE! This is going to sound SO CRAZY I know because it sounds crazy to me and how could someone think like this.......but.....me and his wife are both pregnant and oddly enough have the same name haha......but he desperately wanted a boy. He found out he was having a girl. He had been talking about the baby NONSTOP and then...just stopped. Like, never mentioned the baby again. He didn't even TELL any of us it was a girl. We just found out. But he never says anything about it anymore. I am having a boy. I know that sounds ridiculous.........but............he could be upset that I'm having a boy? And he's having a girl? I mean surely not right. Right?

Old 09-12-2013, 12:33 PM

16,715 posts, read 19,400,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by etjaipleure View Post
I have tried to keep up with him and what he wants. I mean, I THOUGHT I was doing that but he got mad when I was meeting the deadlines so now.........there are even WORSE deadlines! He does not do face to face well at all. So that's the problem. He won't talk or say anything. He just sits there and says well that's the way it is. Blah blah blah.

I definitely do not need to micromanaged. I do my job and get my paperwork in. I even go above and beyond what is expected here by implementing programs, getting things donated to our facility, creating groups, and a hundred other little things. There is absolutely no reason for me to be singled out at all. It's just really frustrating.

I have been looking for a job for over a year now. It's kind of hard to find anything in my field but I am constantly looking everyday. I hope I find something soon!
You're obviously doing good at your job, so he is putting roadblocks in front of you to trip you up and make you look bad, even if its only to himself.

I think he feels you are a threat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment