Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2013, 08:25 AM

2,341 posts, read 3,496,835 times

Advertisements

Avoid These Five Low-Pay, Dead-End Careers

Maybe ... maybe not ... what do you think ?

Avoid These Five Low-Pay, Dead-End Careers - Yahoo! Education

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2013, 08:44 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,570 posts, read 81,167,557 times
I agree with #1. I have only been in a local bank once in the last 4-5 years and that was to close an account. There were only two tellers despite 6 windows, and neither had a customer. Banking online and at ATMs has become normal, using a teller is a thing of the past.

Old 09-13-2013, 09:45 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,747,353 times
While Tellers will be in much less demand in the future, I would still not say they are dead end careers, many people move up from being a teller to a personal banker and then a business banker, and they make decent money once they start moving up.

Also the credit analyzer position has been destroyed with the fallout from the housing mess, the who idea that being able to pull credit reports online will destroy it is untrue simply due to the fact that companies have been able to get reports for at least the last 20 years. the biggest difference is that most lenders are using credit scores as the main requirement on loan qualification as opposed to allowing more compensating factors.

the other 3 jobs I do not know enough about to really know about their futures, but I do think the whole graphic designers having a bright future is oversold. i meet Graphic designers almost daily it seems, many of them cannot find a graphic design job so they are working other jobs and doing graphic design projects on the side. I can see even a 10% growth being easily absorbed by those already in the field who do not have enough work to do it full time right now.

Old 09-13-2013, 09:58 AM

3,078 posts, read 11,063,834 times
The Fashion Designer / Art Director pair is stupid. You get to be an Art Director by starting out in the trenches as a Fashion Design Assistant, then a Designer, then a Lead Designer, then an Art Director.

Of course, you can only climb the ladder if you have a good amount of creativity and drive, and can actually design and produce garments which people will buy. Then you also need the discipline to get an advanced degree like an MBA. Very few so-called fashion designers can actually do this.

Old 09-13-2013, 10:31 AM

10,137 posts, read 17,479,644 times
Every time I think of teller I think I wouldn't want someone I know to do a job you have a better than avg. chance of being robbed for peanuts. Better than armed car sure, but for the money why not work front desk in hotel pay is similar I would guess.

Old 09-13-2013, 11:10 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,281,740 times
I was amused that the alternate career for a credit analyzer was actuary. They're nowhere near the same, and actuaries need to be spectacular at math to advance. You need to have very strong math just to pass the first exam. Many actuaries have at least a bachelor's degree in math. It's not an easy field to get into.

Old 09-13-2013, 11:15 AM

10,137 posts, read 17,479,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I was amused that the alternate career for a credit analyzer was actuary. They're nowhere near the same, and actuaries need to be spectacular at math to advance. You need to have very strong math just to pass the first exam. Many actuaries have at least a bachelor's degree in math. It's not an easy field to get into.
I had a distant relative that was an actuary, and yes you have to be a math expert. They seem to be the best with stats there are, save wall street types.

Old 09-13-2013, 11:47 AM

3,032 posts, read 4,735,265 times
I felt that way about bank teller and financial analyst, too. or really any of the "try these instead!" positions.

Old 09-13-2013, 12:19 PM

863 posts, read 1,196,513 times
They forgot to add Hack Yahoo Journalist. Judging by the quality of most Yahoo articles, they can't pay much.

Old 09-13-2013, 02:48 PM

22,844 posts, read 6,437,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomlikeme View Post
I felt that way about bank teller and financial analyst, too. or really any of the "try these instead!" positions.
Yes, some are incredible leaps like...instead of being a barber be a surgeon, they both involve cutting..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment