Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2016, 11:19 PM

1 posts, read 1,553 times

Advertisements

What if the employer let's you go and you ask why? They tell you several reasons, but refuse to tell you the reasons? If another potential employer calls them for verification of employment do they have the right to tell them why that person was terminated?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2016, 11:31 PM

13,064 posts, read 20,727,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayeb View Post
What if the employer let's you go and you ask why? They tell you several reasons, but refuse to tell you the reasons? If another potential employer calls them for verification of employment do they have the right to tell them why that person was terminated?
Yes. An employer is free to disclose any and all truthful information so long as there isn't some state law that restricts disclosure and it is not done for the purposes of malice. There will be some who will pretend to know the laws and practices and claim they can;t, but fact is, the laws in most states favor the employer being allowed to disclose. As a matter of fact, due to so much BS over this, many states have begun or have already updated their employer disclosure protection laws to help reduce bogus threats by attorneys. Now, this is not to say that they may not require "consent" before saying anything, so don't confuse those two things.

As an FYI, you should find out what the real reason is when you file for unemployment benefits as they will need to tell unemployment why.

Old 05-07-2016, 10:30 AM

23,291 posts, read 23,667,542 times
I would leave it off your resume. Move on.

Old 05-07-2016, 12:34 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,723,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaGold View Post
Today I got let go from my at-will employer for a reason that I consider wrongful. It's legal, but it wasn't right the way they went about it. I have only been working there for two weeks. Will this go on some kind of permanent record that other potential employers will be able to see?
Screw getting a lawyer, just apply for UI and then look carefully for another job and elave that one off the resume.

Old 09-29-2016, 08:39 PM

1 posts, read 1,350 times
I had a job at 16 at McDonalds & got fired in 2 weeks & i was 16 at the time, will it be on my records?

Old 09-30-2016, 06:38 AM

1,585 posts, read 1,916,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarter06 View Post
I had a job at 16 at McDonalds & got fired in 2 weeks & i was 16 at the time, will it be on my records?
Yes, yes it will. When you are 50 and interviewing for that sweet job, they will find it and not hire because of a McDonald's job at 16.

Before you post something onto a long dead thread read the response that came before it, and your questions will be answered.

Old 09-30-2016, 07:27 AM

2,702 posts, read 2,747,052 times
I wouldn't even list that job.

Old 09-30-2016, 10:30 PM

7 posts, read 6,052 times
In one sense there is no need to put a 2 week stint on a resume or mention it on a cover letter.

However, many online applications will ask you to list all of your work experience and have you sign and date that you have provided them with a complete history.

In theory though when a potential employer calls a previous company usually all HR is directed to do is confirm that you were employed there, the dates of your employment, and your salary. It typically is not disclosed why you left.

Old 04-01-2017, 04:19 PM

1 posts, read 1,136 times
My manager said my last day was Friday so I didn't go back in. Then an employee said that I could get unemployment. Said to let them fire you. Collect the unemployment until you get a new job. Will the employer get mad because I'm collecting unemployment and put something where other employers could look and see that they fired me?

Also if they are a good reference if I used them they would say that they fired me?

Old 04-02-2017, 04:14 PM

1,193 posts, read 1,143,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turtlelew53 View Post
My manager said my last day was Friday so I didn't go back in. Then an employee said that I could get unemployment. Said to let them fire you. Collect the unemployment until you get a new job. Will the employer get mad because I'm collecting unemployment and put something where other employers could look and see that they fired me?

Also if they are a good reference if I used them they would say that they fired me?
You say your manager told you when your last day was. And yet you say they are a good reference? Did you quit, get fired, or get laid off? Laid off and fired are two different things.

There is no database 'where other employers could look and see that they fired you'. But any employer can call your past employer and they can tell them truthfully why you were dismissed from your job. If you are concerned they may lie, you could hire a service (such as Allison Taylor company) who can investigate (pose as a potential employer and call for a reference) and let you know what your former employer is saying about you. They can also write a legal 'cease and desist' letter if the employer is saying anything that is untrue or is in a gray area that they can't prove.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment