Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2013, 06:42 PM

113 posts, read 212,238 times

Advertisements

Or you can leave it be, let him go through with his plan and find out the hard way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2013, 07:19 PM

29,823 posts, read 24,902,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
In most states, you can collect unemployment while attending college as long as you are not attending full time and it does not interfere with your ability to find work full time and be available for work should you find it.

Additionally, many states allow you to attend school full time, if approved by the division, to increase your employability. NJ even provides tuition waivers for those who do this. This is likely what the OP's friend's father did.

Michigan specific details: Can I Collect Unemployment Benefits in Michigan While I Am Going to School? | eHow
Yes, it's different for less than full time. I figured the guy was probably attending full time. I remember looking into it when I was laid off in '08.

Old 09-14-2013, 07:23 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,483,864 times
It's usually best to stay out of other people's business. Usually you don't know the whole story.

Maybe he already has another job lined up and is going to go to school and work the other job because it works better with his school schedule.

Maybe he really got fired for something else and he is too embarrassed to admit the real reason he was let go, so be came up with a story that makes it seem like he did it on his terms.

This guy sounds like a real hard worker...going to school at 50 and waiting to get into a program for 2 years. and trying to work and go to school at the same time. It was probably very agonizing for him to deal with wanting to keep the job AND get into this program at school and to have to choose one over the other. It's probably really bothered him badly to lose a job over this important school program.

Cut him some slack. You make him sound like a bottom feeder. He's probably not even considering collecting unemployment anyway. He's focused on his next goal of completing that college program.

Let it go.

Old 09-14-2013, 08:30 PM

1,669 posts, read 2,243,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mila123 View Post
A friend of mine's dad, who's about 50, is currently working full time and attempting to finish getting his degree. When I met him a couple of yrs ago, the dad was unemployed and going to school, at taxpayer's expense. He eventually got this job where he's been working for about a year. School recently started and it's a program he's been waiting 2 yrs for, but his job won't let him take Thursdays off to go to his class so what does he do? He doesn't show up for work and waits for them to fire him just to collect unemployment. I'm also pretty sure he isn't paying for school, we are.

I have a REAL problem with this. He lives in Michigan, so maybe the law is different there. Is this what people do now, instead of quitting to pursue other things they purposely get fired in order the collect unemployment, and they can?
No idea what the reqs are in mi, but a simple 10 second Google search told me that your friends dad would be SOL in SC. You can't collect unemployment if you get fired or if you quit without a valid reason. I call bunk on this one.

Old 09-15-2013, 05:02 AM

1,480 posts, read 2,796,190 times
One time I wanted to get fired so I could collect unemployment but did not want to get fired due to misconduct. So I just went to my bosses boss and complained about my manager. Within a few days I was fired, they said it was not a good fit. I easily got unemployment.

Old 09-15-2013, 08:11 AM

25,959 posts, read 22,113,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kharing View Post
Why do you care? I'm not sure if I would call you a real friend. You can report him for unemployment fraud, but my advice would be to just focus on your own life.
This sort of attitude is the problem today and why so many people get away with things that end up costing the rest of us more money. Unemployment is an insurance for which the employer pays and higher premiums for them mean less benefits in other areas. A thief is a thief. Focusing solely on your own life while the rest of the world goes to pot? Guess that advice is well-known. I'm guessing this fraud will be caught if he tries this. The employer can fight his ability to get unemployment and should since the employer pays the premiums.

Old 09-15-2013, 10:05 AM

2,702 posts, read 2,765,228 times
I don't know....he doesn't sound like a bottom feeder to me.

Old 04-17-2014, 07:07 AM

1 posts, read 995 times
In New Jersey can an employee not show up for work when there is work available. Then sign up to collect, stating there was lack of work that week?

Old 04-18-2014, 02:31 PM

552 posts, read 834,685 times
I've not shown up for work before....they let me go, I filed unemployment. During the phone interview part to discuss my unemployment case, i told them I wasn't able to work due to illness ( in truth, I was sick of work), but now I am able to and am actively seeking.

I got my unemployment for 6 months :-)

Old 04-18-2014, 09:47 PM

424 posts, read 593,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
One time I wanted to get fired so I could collect unemployment but did not want to get fired due to misconduct. So I just went to my bosses boss and complained about my manager. Within a few days I was fired, they said it was not a good fit. I easily got unemployment.
Rotfl
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment