Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2013, 02:06 PM

507 posts, read 458,598 times

Advertisements

A friend of mine's dad, who's about 50, is currently working full time and attempting to finish getting his degree. When I met him a couple of yrs ago, the dad was unemployed and going to school, at taxpayer's expense. He eventually got this job where he's been working for about a year. School recently started and it's a program he's been waiting 2 yrs for, but his job won't let him take Thursdays off to go to his class so what does he do? He doesn't show up for work and waits for them to fire him just to collect unemployment. I'm also pretty sure he isn't paying for school, we are.

I have a REAL problem with this. He lives in Michigan, so maybe the law is different there. Is this what people do now, instead of quitting to pursue other things they purposely get fired in order the collect unemployment, and they can?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2013, 02:22 PM

1,351 posts, read 2,900,273 times
if he gets fired for misconduct, it's possible he won't be able to get unemployment benefits. are you certain of his intentions? sounds like a pretty stupid thing to do.

Old 09-14-2013, 02:24 PM

8,048 posts, read 12,761,708 times
Most jobs will assume you have quit if you fail to show up. I doubt he will be able to collect unemployment if he fails to attend work.

As far as the taxpayer paying for his schooling USUALLY that is only through the trade adjustment act which is when your job is lost due to the company closing and moving operations overseas. I doubt he will qualify for that.

Old 09-14-2013, 02:25 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,124,502 times
That's also fraud.

Old 09-14-2013, 02:42 PM

507 posts, read 458,598 times
This is what his son told me so I have no reason to doubt it.

Yes, it seems fraudulent and just all around shady. Should I do something? Taxpayers shouldn't have to pay for lazy people.

Old 09-14-2013, 02:45 PM

It wouldn't hurt to tell him that his plan well likely not work. It could prevent him from getting himself in a bad situation

Old 09-14-2013, 02:55 PM

29,795 posts, read 24,880,628 times
You cannot collect unemployment while attending college. Unemployment is only intended for people who lost their jobs, and are attempting to find another. What he did was clearly a case of fraud.

Old 09-14-2013, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
You cannot collect unemployment while attending college. Unemployment is only intended for people who lost their jobs, and are attempting to find another. What he did was clearly a case of fraud.
In most states, you can collect unemployment while attending college as long as you are not attending full time and it does not interfere with your ability to find work full time and be available for work should you find it.

Additionally, many states allow you to attend school full time, if approved by the division, to increase your employability. NJ even provides tuition waivers for those who do this. This is likely what the OP's friend's father did.

Michigan specific details: http://www.ehow.com/info_8021250_can...ng-school.html

Old 09-14-2013, 04:10 PM

8,048 posts, read 12,761,708 times
From NJbest's link....

Unemployment Qualifications
Applicants must qualify for unemployment benefits based on the conditions of their job separation. Applicants must separate from their previous job through no fault of their own. For example, if you quit your job to return back to school, this automatically makes you ineligible for unemployment benefits. However, if you were laid off or lost your job due to reasons not related to poor job performance, you may still be eligible for benefits.

Read more: Can I Collect Unemployment Benefits in Michigan While I Am Going to School? | eHow

If the guy stops showing up to work he will not have lost his job "through no fault of his own".

Old 09-14-2013, 04:16 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,990,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mila123 View Post
A friend of mine's dad, who's about 50, is currently working full time and attempting to finish getting his degree. When I met him a couple of yrs ago, the dad was unemployed and going to school, at taxpayer's expense. He eventually got this job where he's been working for about a year. School recently started and it's a program he's been waiting 2 yrs for, but his job won't let him take Thursdays off to go to his class so what does he do? He doesn't show up for work and waits for them to fire him just to collect unemployment. I'm also pretty sure he isn't paying for school, we are.

I have a REAL problem with this. He lives in Michigan, so maybe the law is different there. Is this what people do now, instead of quitting to pursue other things they purposely get fired in order the collect unemployment, and they can?
Why do you care? I'm not sure if I would call you a real friend. You can report him for unemployment fraud, but my advice would be to just focus on your own life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment