Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2013, 02:03 PM

3,082 posts, read 5,437,988 times

Advertisements

Reading this thread/forum makes me never want to spend another dime I make again, unless on sustenance.

Depressing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2013, 04:38 PM

97 posts, read 101,906 times
Marry rich

Old 09-17-2013, 05:05 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,316,053 times
In my family we have banded together to help each other. We have more people living in fewer residences. We are doing for each other what those of us who still have jobs used to hire people to do. It's basically a barter economy within an extended family. It's not how we would choose to live, so please don't romanticize it. But it's necessary or some of us would be in homeless shelters.

Old 09-17-2013, 05:28 PM

1,263 posts, read 3,280,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
I saw you on Hoarders: Buried Alive.
You're the lady with the cats, right?
No, that's my in-laws.

Old 09-17-2013, 05:42 PM

2,845 posts, read 6,012,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
This is why you save money your entire life....they used to call it "Saving for a rainy day". Now it's called the "Emergency Fund" or "Emergency Savings".

Basically you save and save and save while working so if you lose your job, this money is used for basic living expenses. You always make sure there is enough money in that acct even if you don't think your job is at risk. Never borrow from it, never spend it until your rainy day comes. Then only take the minimum necessary and replenish it asap. If your rainy day never comes, then you have more money saved for retirement.
Easier said than done IMO, but it is definitely a good idea to save what you can.

Some people live check to check so have very little leftover to save. My husband and I are fortune enough to be able to save a small percentage of our paycheck each month while at the same time paying off student loans, and one car (which is almost paid off). We have some credit card debt because we both lost our jobs last year and are slowly paying that back off as well. When we lost our jobs we had no savings because we used it to move to another state.

You can plan all you want, and then life happens!

Old 09-17-2013, 05:44 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,026,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight2009 View Post
I was just wondering: how are people who cannot find work in the current economy, and/or may have been laid off and cannot find a job to replace the one that was lost, able to make ends meet financially?

For example: even though they may not have a job, they still have to have a roof over their heads, be able to put food on the table, pay for energy and heating costs, etc. But with no active job salary coming in, how are they able to do it, on a practical and everyday basis? Do they stay and/or live with family members who can help asssit them financially, for as long as they are out of work? Also, what about those who have no living relatives? I can see how practical measures like food stamps can assist them with the need for getting food, but even with that, how are those out of work able to keep up on an apartment or mortgage payment, for instance?
Would you be upset or offended to know that many just might be prostituting themselves?

Many straight men selling themselves as GAY FOR PAY?

Many married suburban moms using their homes as brothels with their equally unemployed husbands acting as their pimp (while the kids are in school of course)?

Suburban mothers selling prescription drugs to their neighbors and friends?

Old 09-17-2013, 05:57 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,771,202 times
Some unemployed people go to food pantries. Living with relatives does happen a lot and is usually the less than ideal situation.

Old 09-17-2013, 06:18 PM

2,135 posts, read 5,489,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
Would you be upset or offended to know that many just might be prostituting themselves?

Many straight men selling themselves as GAY FOR PAY?

Many married suburban moms using their homes as brothels with their equally unemployed husbands acting as their pimp (while the kids are in school of course)?

Suburban mothers selling prescription drugs to their neighbors and friends?
This doesn't happen, anywhere. Please stay away from daytime TV.

Old 09-17-2013, 06:37 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,026,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YaFace View Post
This doesn't happen, anywhere. Please stay away from daytime TV.
Oh, it's happening. You just don't know about it.

None of this was pulled from Daytime TV. It was pulled from the NEWS.

Old 09-17-2013, 06:42 PM

2,135 posts, read 5,489,068 times
Please ma'am link to something. The Onion is not an actual news source.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment