U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2007, 02:26 PM

237 posts, read 758,635 times
Default My boss at work tells me he is getting complaints about me

I am working a miserable job as a temp for the foreseeable future. Or at least until they fire me. I was called into the bosses office today and here is a summary of the conversation:

BOSS: I just wanted to know I have been talking to some of the people in the office and many of the people are not happy with the customer service you are providing them.

ME: I am committed to doing a good job so I would like to sit down and talk to the people who are complaining about me and find out what their concerns are, so I can do a better job next time.

BOSS: I am sorry but that is not possible because they came to me in confidence. I promised them that I would not tell you who they were.

ME: Then could you tell me what I did wrong so I can do a better job next time.

BOSS: Sorry, I can not get into details because that way you would find out who is complaining about you.

ME: Then I can not improve because I do not know what I am doing wrong.

BOSS: (just before he leaves the room) Just clean up your act and do a better job in customer service.
=========================
I am working as a temporary Administrative Assistant and am now demotivated. How can the boss not tell me what I am doing wrong unless he lets me know who is complaining about me behind my back. (He wants people to be able to come to him in confidence but the final result is management by gossip.) The agency just said do your best and they will try to find something for me if I get fired. (Doubtful... because I will have a black mark on my record)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2007, 02:49 PM

7,068 posts, read 17,775,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodtype View Post
I am working as a temporary Administrative Assistant and am now demotivated. How can the boss not tell me what I am doing wrong unless he lets me know who is complaining about me behind my back. (He wants people to be able to come to him in confidence but the final result is management by gossip.) The agency just said do your best and they will try to find something for me if I get fired. (Doubtful... because I will have a black mark on my record)
[cut - my bad]
Show up, do your job well, keep your nose clean... it's not that hard to do! Sounds like it's time for you to find a new job.

Last edited by Sassberto; 11-16-2007 at 03:30 PM..

Old 11-16-2007, 02:57 PM

203 posts, read 587,897 times
Quote:
I am working a miserable job as a temp for the foreseeable future. Or at least until they fire me. I was called into the bosses office today and here is a summary of the conversation:

BOSS: I just wanted to know I have been talking to some of the people in the office and many of the people are not happy with the customer service you are providing them.

ME: I am committed to doing a good job so I would like to sit down and talk to the people who are complaining about me and find out what their concerns are, so I can do a better job next time.

BOSS: I am sorry but that is not possible because they came to me in confidence. I promised them that I would not tell you who they were.

BOSS: Sorry, I can not get into details because that way you would find out who is complaining about you.

BOSS: (just before he leaves the room) Just clean up your act and do a better job in customer service.
Well, dont wait to get fired!..........doesnt seem to be any shortage of crappy jobs out there. Use the slow periods/lunch break to peruse the job ads. Onward and upward! The boss is being unfair and it does sound more like an "inside" job than an "outside" one. Office work often entails getting along with the "right" people, whether we like it or not. Personally, the gossip, chain of command, brown nosing, office politics, parties etc etc is not for me. Check out other temp agencies you'll find a place more agreeable

Old 11-16-2007, 02:58 PM

3,589 posts, read 157,574 times
Quote:

For the record, your boss is an a-hole. I'd ask the agency you're with to just place you somewhere else, because this guy is probably not going to ease up on you.

Old 11-16-2007, 03:12 PM

That type of management by gossip is quite common in organizations all over America. I should learn how to deal with it. Ideas.. other than quitting?

Old 11-16-2007, 03:14 PM

Default No insults please!!

No reason to insult me too. Gosh!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
No offense dude, but you seem like a noodge.

Yiddish Phrases

Show up, do your job well, keep your nose clean... it's not that hard to do! Sounds like it's time for you to find a new job.

Old 11-16-2007, 03:38 PM

1,566 posts, read 2,803,990 times
Find a new job, it sounds like it is just a poor work enviroment. Company culture can make or break a job.

Old 11-16-2007, 04:02 PM

4,983 posts, read 4,988,779 times
Thumbs down That Happened To Me!

Quote:

Okay, this happened to me...I was told there was a complaint about me, so I could not be sent back to work at a certain site when I worked for a company 2 years ago. The boss told me that the office manager had personally called him to complain about me. I said, "Oh, what was the complaint?" He says, "He didn't say or go into details."
I said, "You didn't ask? That would be the first thing I would ask!"
He didn't reply, and I said I would be willing to talk to this manager, to find out what the problem was, and to see if there was some kind of misunderstanding. I added there seemed to be no problems when I was last working at that site, and I couldn't even surmise what the problem could have been.

When I said this, my boss said, "Oh, I will handle this on a purely administrative level and I can't send you back there."
There I was, trying to figure out what this was about. Heck, if I had done something really wrong, and was told I wasn't ever going back there again, okay, I'd own that...but this was odd....until it hit me...there was NO complaint. He didn't want to pay anyone to go there, because he didn't make enough money off the site, and he didn't want me thinking I could power up and go there on my own.

When I asked again what the complaint was, he didn't say. And after 3 months, I never heard about it. I never asked, and he never told me, which lead me to believe THERE NEVER WAS A COMPLAINT.
Even if someone did something that was misunderstood, misconstrued, etc., etc., then it can be discussed. If I was such a lousy worker, then he should have fired me. But we all know that wasn't the case. I found out from several people who quit this joint, that my boss was a snake and lied a lot.
I never trusted him again, but I stayed there, until he went out of business.

Old 11-16-2007, 04:09 PM

48,548 posts, read 44,620,692 times
i must confess i dont know you. sometimes when i post to somebody in a lot of pain i get a lot of anger. i will risk it, im sure you are worth it.
the following comments are not painless but well intended.
based solely on what you have said to me.
classic stuff. not a good boss. but useful info. you are a temp. if you were really doin a bad job they would have sacked a temp in a heartbeat. the situation is probably repairable. you need an ally. this is one of those things when there is a great reality gap between what you perceive and everybody else. the idea is to not erase the gap but to narrow it. somewhere in this office there is somebody who will talk to you bout the dead chicken tied to your head. everybody is aware of it but you. that is if you are being honest with yourself. other possibility is you know already about the dead chicken tied on your head and you are all set to claw their eyes out when they mention it.

Old 11-16-2007, 04:33 PM

8,192 posts, read 18,936,825 times
I am confused. As an Administrative Assistant what type of customer service are you asked to do? I have worked as an AA and never once had any kind of contact with customers.

Are you the receptionist and perhaps your phone manner is not what they are used to? Who complained-customers or co-workers?

As far as it goes, there are thousands of temp agencies out there. If this were me I would be hitting all of them until someone found me something else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment