Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2013, 03:41 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times

Advertisements

Dress business casual, what you would wear to work. I'd do a dress/cardigan or a skirt/blouse/cardigan.

It will be a bit like an interview, but more conversational. But you are definitely being judged.

I have one of these coming up next week. Well I hope it is only a meet and greet. I am afraid it is going to turn into a meet the team. But I was up front that I didn't want the job and it was for networking only!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2013, 05:24 PM

595 posts, read 2,701,920 times
I agree with Business casual. I would also advise closed toe shoes, preferably lower heeled pumps, and conservative jewelry, hair and makeup. Also, unless you know for sure you can handle one drink, I'd skip and get a club soda with a lime or cranberry juice and lime, this way it looks like a cocktail without it being a cocktail. This sounds like a get to know you type gig and you'll want to be on your A game! Good Luck and I hope it pans out into a more formal interview for you!!

PS: I would also make sure you have copies of your resume and references available to you just in case. I always err on the side of being over prepared.

Old 09-20-2013, 06:38 PM

2,793 posts, read 4,068,200 times
Thanks for all the replies everyone. Seems that business casual is probably the best way to go (slacks/skirt, blouse, blazer/cardigan). I'm going to have to go through my closet, I don't think I have any sleeved blouses. Ugh.

Just to clarify some things. The job is for the city and I'm meeting them at City Hall, so no drinks. Also, I don't drink alcohol so that wouldn't make any difference anyways. And if they ask why, my good and true excuse is that I'm allergic. It's not pretty when I have alcohol in my system, hehe.

I have a few ideas of what to wear. I figure, I'll just wear what I wore when I've had to take tests at companies before (usually not a suit, but at least business casual).

I have to say, I'm amazed at what people wear to interviews (I know there's been some threads about it). I'd much rather be over dressed than under. But I know my standard black suit is going to be too much.

Lastly, I am chuckling when you guys tell me to wear what I wear to work. My last job, I could wear khaki's and a t-shirt with Doc Martens (not business casual for sure). The job before that, I had to be suited up in black/brown/navy, no open toed or slingback shoes, must be dress shoes. Day in, day out. Needless to say, I don't have too much "business casual". I think I may need to go find a blouse.

I appreciate all the feedback. This helps me feel not so stressed out over what to wear!

Old 09-20-2013, 09:46 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,311,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDH35 View Post
I agree with Business casual. I would also advise closed toe shoes, preferably lower heeled pumps, and conservative jewelry, hair and makeup. Also, unless you know for sure you can handle one drink, I'd skip and get a club soda with a lime or cranberry juice and lime, this way it looks like a cocktail without it being a cocktail. This sounds like a get to know you type gig and you'll want to be on your A game! Good Luck and I hope it pans out into a more formal interview for you!!

PS: I would also make sure you have copies of your resume and references available to you just in case. I always err on the side of being over prepared.
I agree with this. If possible, I would try to add one stand-out accessory to my business casual. An unique piece of jewelry or an article of clothing in an unusual color. You need to stand out without appearing over-the-top. So later when they're discussing you, if someone doesn't remember your name they can refer to you as, "You know ... that woman who was carrying the bright yellow folder."

Best of luck! Come back and tell us how it turned out. This is a form of "interview" that many of us have no experience with.

Old 09-20-2013, 10:18 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,472,767 times
I have only been asked to one I think? and it was last minute and far away, kinda like a cattle call for entry level tech sales ppl. When I saw the age of avg employee and range of pay I passed. This one was open bar and snacks.

Old 09-21-2013, 11:59 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,671,176 times
Don't you talk to secretaries? Of all the jobs I ever got, over half of them were because the secretary liked me. The part time job I have now (I'm retired) is a good example. I stopped in to drop off some paperwork during the hiring process, and stopped to chat with the woman at the front desk. We hit it off well, and had a very nice conversation. After I was hired, I discovered that she used to be the City Manager, and now works part time as executive assistant to the City Manager. She's retired and working part time too.

The woman at the front desk can tell you exactly what you need to wear to the meet and greet. All you have to do is talk to her. Get her on your side and she can be the most powerful recommendation you can submit.

Old 09-21-2013, 11:12 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,311,226 times
Judging from this thread:
So I went to a company's "open house" today
you'd better make sure you find the person with the company name tag and chat them up, so they can at least see this outfit you've spent time deciding on.

Old 09-21-2013, 11:45 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,968,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psichick View Post
I was just called to schedule an informal meet and greet. Obviously not quite an interview. Has anyone had this? What is this? Since they said "informal" should I dress down a bit (not suit up, but maybe wear slacks and a nice shirt)? Any thoughts on what to expect?

This is definitely a first for me.
Interesting... For us, Meet and Greets are when we have two candidates who after the interviewing and credential checking, we just can't decide. So we get them to come in and meet others who they will be working with. This gets us a few more opinions and hopefully enables us to make the best choice. Just about everyone I know who has them uses them as some sort of final process. Who knows, maybe your qualifications blew them away so they are jumping to the last steps. I hope its not a cattle car type Meet and Greet, because that's not fair to anyone. Good luck & let us know how it went.

Old 09-22-2013, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
Interesting... For us, Meet and Greets are when we have two candidates who after the interviewing and credential checking, we just can't decide. So we get them to come in and meet others who they will be working with. This gets us a few more opinions and hopefully enables us to make the best choice. Just about everyone I know who has them uses them as some sort of final process. Who knows, maybe your qualifications blew them away so they are jumping to the last steps. I hope its not a cattle car type Meet and Greet, because that's not fair to anyone. Good luck & let us know how it went.
Interesting. I'm going with a cattle car type M&G. Because when they wanted to schedule me, they had "many" time slots open. I'm thinking this is going to end up like a fast "phone screening" but in person.

On the upside, I do, however, have another interview to "meet the team". I know those usually mean it's getting narrowed down a lot more.

I will definitely come back and report how it went and what it was.

Old 09-22-2013, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
Judging from this thread:
So I went to a company's "open house" today
you'd better make sure you find the person with the company name tag and chat them up, so they can at least see this outfit you've spent time deciding on.
Oh jeez. I think if I walked into that, I'd walk right out. Okay, maybe not. Maybe I'd try to do my thing. But yikes. I'm a total introvert, that would have put me over the edge.

I know that this won't be that. And if it is, the city has way too much money and the need to get audited. Unless it's going to go to my salary. LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment