Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2014, 02:05 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,124,502 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsnow View Post
As a follower of reality & lessons from the school of hard knocks, I would do whatever it took, by whatever means possible, to land the job & put food on the table. When your stomach is rumbling & the electricity is about to be shut off, honesty isnt going to give you a hug nor lend a helping hand. Its a dog eat dog world out there & Ill wisely choose to be the big, bad aggressive rottweiler over the weak toy poodle, any second of the day. Survival is the game & Im in it to win it.
Perhaps if you were a follower of the teachings of Christ, you would understand based on what I had written. But more to the tune of this discussion, we have the same motives to succeed. Some of us will do it through honest hard work, while others will lie and cheat. It's about what you think about yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2014, 02:09 AM

5 posts, read 7,291 times
I'd do just about anything up to and including breaking every single commandment a dozen times over if doing so would make me a billionaire.

Old 10-26-2014, 05:47 AM

1,104 posts, read 918,974 times
Yes I have lied to get work, and learning to lie was an important lesson. We have to practice some kind of deception and market ourselves and that includes lying. I haven't ever lied to get a job where I am driving around in a ferrari or doing anything important, these are jobs where you get up, go to work for 4 hours, sit alone somewhere for lunch, work for another 6 hours and then go home to shared accommodation to do the same thing again 6 days a week. I had to lie to get that work, and I bet that the people make real money have got to where they are by being much more efficient liars.

Old 10-26-2014, 07:50 AM

3,657 posts, read 3,285,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_grimace View Post
Just wondering how many people actually lie or cheat someway during the hiring process to get a job. I'm a candidly honest guy, and I can't help but feel that I've lost jobs simply because I was... well... TOO HONEST. My view has always been tell the truth, and I'm proud of that, but in the job world, I often feel it hurts me even if I don't have anything to hide. Quick example would be something like a company asking me if I used a certain type of software before because they use it a lot, and I'm honest and say no, EVEN THOUGH I can most definitely learn that software before even starting (self study) and would be up to speed in a couple days. But yea, I tell the truth, and the company writes me off.

So, do you really need to lie to get ahead in today's job market??!

We all know those people that put on the big show for the interviews, and when they get the job, they turn out to be the laziest, most arrogant, most unqualified and talented person you've ever seen.... Yet they dazzle everyone during the interviews. It's disgusting if you ask me.

I even know a few people or have heard stories from other colleagues of people deploying different lying or cheating in order to get the jobs they now hold. The obvious and most common things I hear about are lying about your skills, qualifications, work history and experience (companies rarely seem to check on you to see if what you say is true), but I've seen some even more dastardly things done like lying about your location to appear as a local candidate, or for all those creative positions out there, paying a professional company to create your demo reel for you, or perhaps even paying them to complete a hiring test.

Is this really the reality we live in, where lying and cheating gets you ahead in life? It upsets me to see a system where the good are punished and the bad succeed. It really makes you wonder how bad lying and cheating is when there's such little risk to it. So I'm curious, I'm interested to see how many people have gotten some job in their life by lying or cheating during the hiring process. Thoughts?
You aren't approaching this right. If someone asks you, "Do you know X?". You don't answer no, you say if it's true for you, "If the project can afford 2 weeks I can easily get up to speed with it...". That's not a lie. It's only a lie if you can't do it. You don't just say no, because in IT jobs technology is changing all the time. And they won't fire a good employee when something needs comes along because they trust that employee can learn it quickly enough. If a lot of jobs are asking for "X", then you could spend your own time learning it and say you are familiar with it. That's not a lie.

As for interviewing, you can put on the big show and also delivery on what you say. If you are going to go into an interview and afraid to make eye contact with people or explain yourself about things, then this is going to work against you. Those are just interview skills and they are important because they want to know you can communicate with others on the job, which is the purpose of this.

You can't lie about something you can't do. If you are in IT and put on your resume you an expert on C++ and can't do the job, they get rid of you. Then they come on this forum after they have been fired or can't find a job, and whine about it leaving off the fact they were found out. Most experienced hiring managers can tell from a resume if the claims are pure BS or not.

Old 10-26-2014, 07:55 AM

3,657 posts, read 3,285,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Perhaps if you were a follower of the teachings of Christ, you would
Please don't play the jesus card with us here. Too many have used his name to kill others and do harm to others.

Old 10-26-2014, 09:35 AM

1,596 posts, read 2,057,445 times
To answer the OP's question, no, I never had to lie or cheat to get a job. It's just not my character.

Old 10-26-2014, 09:47 AM

10,832 posts, read 14,927,894 times
In my 50 year work history I had two careers the first was as a flight instructor for a Part 141 flight school, Part 135 pilot and ferry pilot for Piper Aircraft out of Vero Beach for a while. With the required licenses, endorsements and FAA check rides a BS'r would be discovered pretty darn quick. Quick as in before you ever got out to the airplane.

Second career, I got out of flying because there wasn't enough money in it, I design fire sprinkler systems which requires NICET (National Institute for Certification in Engineering Technologies) which is a Division of the Society of Professional Engineers. Requirements (minimum 5 years experience) are strict and testing (several days) is gruesome. I must gravitate towards these kinds of careers because because you are not going to be able to BS your way into this one either.

Old 10-27-2014, 12:18 PM

368 posts, read 413,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Perhaps if you were a follower of the teachings of Christ, you would understand based on what I had written. But more to the tune of this discussion, we have the same motives to succeed. Some of us will do it through honest hard work, while others will lie and cheat. It's about what you think about yourself.
Id rather follow the teachings of Santa Claus & The Easter Bunny. Personally, they seem to be more plausible. If I had a dollar for every ******* that depended solely on honesty & hard work to succeed out there & are now either struggling or starving, I could buy a fleet of Lamborghini's. Succeeding is knowing how to play the game & conquer the game, by whatever means. Jeebus, Jack's magic beans & all the fairy dust in the universe, arent going to get the job done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment