Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2013, 08:52 PM

273 posts, read 682,151 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter Cup View Post
For Christians the dove symbolizes the Holy Spirit. You are to never bring up politics and religion at work. (Shrugs shoulders) I don't know. Just my guess.
Interesting thought . . however the hospital I work for is religious-based. Yes - we even have prayer and devotionals (Bible reading, etc.) during work hours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2013, 12:53 AM

164 posts, read 260,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
Let me be blunt and give you my opinion.

I'm 65, have been in the work force for 50 years and for over half those years I owned a company and did the hiring myself.

Only a drunken fool or idiot would get a tattoo. Whenever I see a tattoo I see low class and stupidity because how could anyone spend a lot of money to get what is basically a third world tribal scar they can never take off?

You come to me for a job sporting a $500 tattoo and you expect me to believe you would be a good steward with my money? I am happy you think you have valuable "skilz" but you come into my office sporting a tattoo chances are you will leave without a job.

Tattoo's, the most stupid thing a young person can possibly do to themselves.
i don't need a job from you because i already make 120k a year despite my tattoos. i just hosted my buddy's bachelor party at spago beverly hills but i guess i'm low class. why would i want a scar that i can never take off? because it is comforting to know that when i die i will be covered with the things that i loved in my life. it's sad that you live your life so concerned about being judged by others. seems like a heavier burden than having ink under the skin to be honest.

Old 09-26-2013, 01:17 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,347,393 times
The US Army is considering new rules that would reject potential recruits who have tattoos below their elbows or knees, or above their necks.

"Current soldiers now are barred from all tattoos or brands that are indecent, sexist or racist, and from tattoos or brands on the head or face, according to an Army spokesman at the Pentagon. Recruits are prohibited from having tattoos or brands on the neck as well."

Tat's all, folks? U.S. Army weighs new tattoo policy | Reuters

Old 09-26-2013, 04:09 AM

11,195 posts, read 9,040,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boboluv View Post
i don't need a job from you because i already make 120k a year despite my tattoos. i just hosted my buddy's bachelor party at spago beverly hills but i guess i'm low class. why would i want a scar that i can never take off? because it is comforting to know that when i die i will be covered with the things that i loved in my life. it's sad that you live your life so concerned about being judged by others. seems like a heavier burden than having ink under the skin to be honest.
do you have a tattoo on your face, neck, or hands?

Old 09-26-2013, 12:07 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,880,410 times
I consider tattoos to be extremely low class. They are an instant turn off for me. That doesn't mean that I have to be a jerk to people with tattoos (I don't). It also doesn't mean I have to stop loving my wonderful 83-year old Mom, who (unfortunately) got a tattoo 20 years ago (I don't).
But I still don't like tattoos.
And in my line of work (therapist), I find many people are much more willing to get a tattoo than to work on the difficult, internal issues which are causing them problems. It's hard not to go for the easy option. I discourage it.

Old 09-26-2013, 12:33 PM

1,035 posts, read 2,055,663 times
I had an operations manager I worked closely with at one of my jobs. She was great, stayed on top of things just like I did, and we'd both come in early and knock things out together, doing more than ten people combined. Everything ran smoothly with us there and the employees loved her.

She had tattoos the length of both arms and would sometimes wear short sleeve blouses that made them visible. No one seemed to mind, including customers, except the people higher up. She ended up getting fired for being "unprofessional" and was replaced with someone who looked the part but didn't do an ounce of work and whose behavior and attitude was terrible.

I don't have any tattoos but I definitely think that it's harder to look like/be yourself in certain environments so it's tough if you happen to be seeking a career in a field that's more than likely going to care that much about your appearance.

I only get upset about it when it's a situation in which it doesn't make any sense or where no one will see you anyhow. Tell someone working at an upscale bigwig corporate office that they need to be suit and tie sorts, fine, but expecting someone to wear dress shoes, a dress shirt, and slacks to work at a paintball court seems unnecessary.

Old 09-26-2013, 12:40 PM

17,574 posts, read 46,057,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
I consider tattoos to be extremely low class. They are an instant turn off for me. That doesn't mean that I have to be a jerk to people with tattoos (I don't). It also doesn't mean I have to stop loving my wonderful 83-year old Mom, who (unfortunately) got a tattoo 20 years ago (I don't).
But I still don't like tattoos.
And in my line of work (therapist), I find many people are much more willing to get a tattoo than to work on the difficult, internal issues which are causing them problems. It's hard not to go for the easy option. I discourage it.
Are you saying you think your mom is low class?

Old 09-26-2013, 12:54 PM

18,073 posts, read 18,748,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
The US Army is considering new rules that would reject potential recruits who have tattoos below their elbows or knees, or above their necks.

"Current soldiers now are barred from all tattoos or brands that are indecent, sexist or racist, and from tattoos or brands on the head or face, according to an Army spokesman at the Pentagon. Recruits are prohibited from having tattoos or brands on the neck as well."

I would never turned to the military for any lead on a subject like this; there rules change often, and in accordance with the needs of the force.

Today it is this rule, the next they will scrap it all together, just as they have done again and again.

I remember during the height of the Iraq War, there was hardly anyone getting booted for being too fat, they even suspended all PT testing where I was at, so a person would not even have the chance to fail. Yes after the drawn down started, the requirements and BS went right back up; really, if these standards were so essential, they would be maintained at all times, not just out of convenience.

Old 09-26-2013, 11:01 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,435,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post

Well it has been a few years, but I know someone that got tattoo waivers ( full sleeve no less ) and signing bonuses because no one wanted to be a bullet sponge in Baghdad. He told me the recruiter told him how to "game" the system. Sign for 2, get bonus, and waiver, wash rinse and repeat. He told me not too many are willing to kill child soldiers.

Old 09-27-2013, 10:17 AM

6,928 posts, read 5,880,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Are you saying you think your mom is low class?
Hey, we all make mistakes. She's my mom, what are you gonna do.
Plus I never have to actually see it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment