Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2013, 11:28 AM

11,248 posts, read 11,022,956 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by slcity View Post
I know a guy who's a federal employee, which means his salary is public data. He makes 6 figures, and he was complaining on Facebook about the shutdown! Cry me a river dude! I also know he's made a ton of money in the stock market the last few years, so he could just sell some stocks if he really needs the money. Or he could just not eat filet mignon and caviar every day. It wouldn't kill him to cut back a little bit for 1-2 weeks. This is not the end of the world.
People who are blessed making this type of income think everybody else makes a similar income as well. I have a buddy who makes about $90k a year. He's a railroader, and he has no education beyond HS. His wife has an income that dwarfs his. Combined, they make about $250k a year. When I told him he was blessed and that the average annual family household income in the U.S. is about $50k, he told me I was full of crap. He had to go look it up for himself, and even then he still didn't believe it. Once most people hit a certain income bracket, they don't think about people less fortunate. They still see themselves as victims needed to be pitied when life takes a turn for the worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2013, 11:50 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,894,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
People who are blessed making this type of income think everybody else makes a similar income as well. I have a buddy who makes about $90k a year. He's a railroader, and he has no education beyond HS. His wife has an income that dwarfs his. Combined, they make about $250k a year. When I told him he was blessed and that the average annual family household income in the U.S. is about $50k, he told me I was full of crap. He had to go look it up for himself, and even then he still didn't believe it. Once most people hit a certain income bracket, they don't think about people less fortunate. They still see themselves as victims needed to be pitied when life takes a turn for the worse.
Sadly when people live a similar life to you, you get in a bubble that is kind of a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Old 10-30-2013, 07:56 PM

3,222 posts, read 4,569,754 times
I know a woman who says she can't retire because she could never live off of 2600 dollars a month! Her husband brings in 2500 a month, they have no car payments, no mortgage, no kids. Both in good health.

If a couple can't live off of 5100 a month in a small city in the midwest, then something is seriously wrong with their spending habits.

I say the more money people have the more they think they need and become selfish.

I'd rather be poor and generous in my heart toward helping others when I can.

Old 11-20-2013, 12:26 AM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,687,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelinLow View Post
I know a woman who says she can't retire because she could never live off of 2600 dollars a month! Her husband brings in 2500 a month, they have no car payments, no mortgage, no kids. Both in good health.

If a couple can't live off of 5100 a month in a small city in the midwest, then something is seriously wrong with their spending habits.

I say the more money people have the more they think they need and become selfish.

I'd rather be poor and generous in my heart toward helping others when I can.
maybe there is some hidden cost you don't know about that she's not telling you

Old 11-20-2013, 10:57 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,810,348 times
I can't relate to most of these since I have been making some money for myself but this is me:

-You have trouble waking up in the morning. On that note...you also wonder if your GERD was caused by the stress
-You become a perfectionist and work all day even during eating because you have no one to tell you to stop and take a break
-You wonder if you'll ever get enough money to get away to where you want to go
-The stiff in the leasing office says you could just not have the internet and tv. Psh if I had no internet what would I do? That's how I make money man. Then I'd be back to square one.
-You're selective about the hours you will get because you're worried about leaving your furry babies home for too long
-You don't know how to try anymore
-You get random episodes of depression once in a while when you are working because you're finally realizing that you need to do something more with your life
-You don't look anymore because it's always the same thing

Old 11-20-2013, 11:34 PM

752 posts, read 2,086,393 times
Love it....can relate to all of this and many more

Old 11-21-2013, 06:31 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,957,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwiley View Post
Government jobs have been found to be better paying than private sector jobs

Good God they are not. Not for similar educational levels and experience levels. Not even close.

Ever known someone to go from Government to Private and earn less? Never heard of it.

Ever heard someone from Private go to Government and earn less? Yes, all the freaking time.

Yes, I saw that "study" that came out about a year ago and it was rightly torn to pieces as it didn't compare apples to apples.

Old 11-21-2013, 09:08 AM

3,860 posts, read 8,452,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Good God they are not. Not for similar educational levels and experience levels. Not even close.

Ever known someone to go from Government to Private and earn less? Never heard of it.

Ever heard someone from Private go to Government and earn less? Yes, all the freaking time.

Yes, I saw that "study" that came out about a year ago and it was rightly torn to pieces as it didn't compare apples to apples.
Depends on the job. The government sector often pays more for entry level jobs than the private sector.

Then of course there's the bennies. Total compensation tends to be a lot better on the lower level.

Old 11-21-2013, 09:20 AM

1,346 posts, read 3,075,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fireandice1000 View Post

Personally, I think that the LTU should band together on their own and form some competition to both the 99% and 1% since both groups obviously 100% don't care about the people they step on! I think that a lot of people were thrown under the bus simply because the people and institutions we thought would stand by our side never really did to begin with. It could be time to find new friends, family, and allies for perhaps a much different future.
YES. I've been thinking this exact thing a LOT lately. There is this huge group of people, most of them seemingly pretty smart and ready to work, who have nothing to do through no fault of their own. There should be a pretty strong force if they all banded together and protested what is going on in this country. A revolution, if you will.

Perhaps the Occupy movement was trying to do this? Why did that die out anyway?

I'm seriously frightened for the future of this country. I don't see much hope anymore for anyone but the 1%.

Old 11-21-2013, 09:24 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,957,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claud605 View Post

Perhaps the Occupy movement was trying to do this? Why did that die out anyway?

Part of it was the very nature of how they wanted to exist. They wanted no real set plan, for it to be organic. That is great to start, but only to start. Second, they didn't want a hierarchy. Great, again, good to start, but not scalable. They didn't want soundbites (which unfortunately is the way communication works now), or spokespeople, or a real plan. When it is a free for all the media will pick out the most colorful and often most, um, quirky, people to get quotes from which makes the entire "group" look insane to the public at large. Good idea with some good intentions, but poorly organized and not scalable... if you want to succeed you need a plan with guidelines and structure, and they were opposed to that overall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment