Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2013, 12:35 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,806,558 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Not to say there aren't deals out there, but in most cases, you aren't going
to find a house like that in a desirable area with plenty of jobs (not in 2013
at least). Where did you live?
Charlotte, NC - Havent relocated yet because I havent lined up another job yet...Moving without a job lined up is not an option. It wasnt the best neighborhood by far, but it was not the worst. It was older subdivision (60's and 70's ranch style homes) But relatively quite safe neighborhood. Most of my neighbors had been there since the inception of the subdivision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2013, 12:41 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,818,113 times
There are plenty of people who cannot obtain a minimum wage position. There are many minimum wage positions that will not give the time of day to an experienced professional; McDonalds is not going to hire an admin assistant with 12 years experience, or an out of work accountant. So this means a person needs to omit these things, which will leave the employer what have they been doing in the past.

I know someone that just graduated college and cannot even get a position selling cosmetics at Macy's, omit anything and it looks like she has not done nothing for the last few years except sit at home. Just now there was a key holder position she applied for, never was called, and a month later the sign was right back in the window asking for a key holder. (anecdotal I know, but if getting a minimum skilled/wage job was so easy, this anecdotal should have never existed).

Say the person does get employed, now with the drop in wages, the new employer will be looking at all kinds of reasons not to employ, as we see our hyped up wannabe HR people on this forum show. First the prospective employee will be coming in off a low wage (starting wage based off of last wage), a job not in their previous field (erosion of skills), and some really hyped HR people will think the person is irresponsible with money (what, you got laid off and had to work? You did not have savings?)

Some places there are tons of minimum wage jobs available, look at the Arlington VA area, even the big box stores will pass out fliers to people advertising jobs, however, the darn place is too expensive to live if that is your only source of money, and too far away to commute for most people given the salary. Oh yes, do not list your education and real experience on the application, they will never hire you; they will hire a person without any formal education and work experience at Whole Foods to hang aournd the soap section that does not have one single clue about soap, shampoo or anything in the section; over the experienced, educated person who happens to know a lot about the soaps, shampoos and other things via interests and from purchasing the products at Whole Foods for years.

Strange how you would label this stuff "entitlement"; people who worked their rear off, educated them slef, and climbed the work force ladder are entitled? No, the people who sit around working minimum wage their whole life expecting the tax payers to subsidize their lifestyle are the entitled ones. Who is that out there screaming for $15.hr? It sure was not the four year degree holders in the DC area making less than that temping or playing admin assist, it was not the semi-skilled techs in LA that are making less than that; it was minimum wage earners, in which that has been the only wage they have ever obtained, and the only wage their skills will ever allow them to have.

Who are the entitled ones?

Old 09-24-2013, 12:41 PM

6,706 posts, read 5,935,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekkie View Post
A very modest house payment costs about $800-$1000/month. What are your thoughts or advice for someone who is single (or is the assumption here that everyone also has their fantasy spouse)?

I'm sorry, but the advice given on this board is so often incredibly dumb, short-sighted and presumptuous. According to the brilliant minds here at City Data, at 27 I'm supposed to have two years of salary saved up, a fully funded Roth IRA, a fully funded 401k plan, investments galore, hardly any debt, a spouse so we can have two incomes, an esteemed pedigree of knowledge and career accomplishments, a stacked resume, etc.

OP, not pinning this all on you, it's just that the advice on C-D as a whole is often times very much out of touch with the reality for many people (particularly us younger folks).
This is the same one who wishes that the OP would get laid off, so we're not looking at a very mature individual to begin with. It's clear that he's not actually asking the OP for advice, so what is he doing? Complaining.

Well, welcome to the real world, young puppy. You are completely responsible for what you make and how you spend it. Some young people are smart enough to save every penny, while others (the majority) spend most of their earnings on the latest must-have gadgets, cars, and fun activities. The hundreds of thousands of people with credit card debt that they are unable to pay off are a testament to how poorly people are educated in fiscal responsibility and self-discipline.

There are resources galore at the library and on the internet for how to live frugally. Many books on the subject, many articles, magazines dedicated to the art of being a cheapskate. It's all there for you. Don't just rely on city-data, though there sometimes is some good advice.

Friends of mine just paid off their house, which they purchased 13 years ago. Every time they came into a bit of money, they put it into the mortgage. They have an extensive garden in the back yard and practically live off what they grow in the warm season. They don't buy gadgets, they don't even own a TV, and they don't make high salaries. But they live sensibly and they raise their son well.

For every one like that, there must be a hundred who bought into too large a house, who put a 60" LED on the credit card, and who are making car payments every month in perpetuity, because they don't want to buy a used vehicle. Those are the ones that we had to bail out a few years ago when the subprime mortgages went south.

My own house, purchased in 2007, is under water, and when we had to move for work, several friends told me to "walk away from it", you take a temporary credit hit for 5 years, then it's back to normal life! Gee what a fantasy. Instead, we rented out the place, and that's worked out pretty well; meanwhile the market is coming back up and in a few years we'll be able to sell it--or move back into it, depending on how things go. But it's no one's fault but my own, and it's no one's responsibility to bail me out.

That's the attitude you have to have in life to get ahead. If your attitude is, life's not fair, waaaah, then that attitude will come across when you interview for jobs. People have a kind of 6th sense about such things. Or, if you're lucky enough to be hired, your attitude will poison your work, and you won't get ahead.

I once saw a small group come out of a restaurant and discover a parking ticket on their car. The man angrily said to one of the women: "You made me get a ticket!" Now how could that be? Did she put a gun to his head and force him to park there?

Do you want to go through life looking like that entitled brat, or do you want to be respected as an achiever? It's entirely up to you!

Old 09-24-2013, 12:43 PM

3,082 posts, read 5,438,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastbabe View Post
Charlotte, NC - Havent relocated yet because I havent lined up another job yet...Moving without a job lined up is not an option. It wasnt the best neighborhood by far, but it was not the worst. It was older subdivision (60's and 70's ranch style homes) But relatively quite safe neighborhood. Most of my neighbors had been there since the inception of the subdivision.
Well, that makes better sense. You live in the south, where COL is significantly cheaper. Especially Charlotte, which is predominantly low income. I could probably live a middle class life out there on $14/hr.

All due respect, your attitude reflects a very myopic world view. Travel around a bit and see how other people live before you start formulating an opinion.

Old 09-24-2013, 12:44 PM

3,082 posts, read 5,438,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
This is the same one who wishes that the OP would get laid off, so we're not looking at a very mature individual to begin with. It's clear that he's not actually asking the OP for advice, so what is he doing? Complaining.

Well, welcome to the real world, young puppy. You are completely responsible for what you make and how you spend it. Some young people are smart enough to save every penny, while others (the majority) spend most of their earnings on the latest must-have gadgets, cars, and fun activities. The hundreds of thousands of people with credit card debt that they are unable to pay off are a testament to how poorly people are educated in fiscal responsibility and self-discipline.

There are resources galore at the library and on the internet for how to live frugally. Many books on the subject, many articles, magazines dedicated to the art of being a cheapskate. It's all there for you. Don't just rely on city-data, though there sometimes is some good advice.

Friends of mine just paid off their house, which they purchased 13 years ago. Every time they came into a bit of money, they put it into the mortgage. They have an extensive garden in the back yard and practically live off what they grow in the warm season. They don't buy gadgets, they don't even own a TV, and they don't make high salaries. But they live sensibly and they raise their son well.

For every one like that, there must be a hundred who bought into too large a house, who put a 60" LED on the credit card, and who are making car payments every month in perpetuity, because they don't want to buy a used vehicle. Those are the ones that we had to bail out a few years ago when the subprime mortgages went south.

My own house, purchased in 2007, is under water, and when we had to move for work, several friends told me to "walk away from it", you take a temporary credit hit for 5 years, then it's back to normal life! Gee what a fantasy. Instead, we rented out the place, and that's worked out pretty well; meanwhile the market is coming back up and in a few years we'll be able to sell it--or move back into it, depending on how things go. But it's no one's fault but my own, and it's no one's responsibility to bail me out.

That's the attitude you have to have in life to get ahead. If your attitude is, life's not fair, waaaah, then that attitude will come across when you interview for jobs. People have a kind of 6th sense about such things. Or, if you're lucky enough to be hired, your attitude will poison your work, and you won't get ahead.

I once saw a small group come out of a restaurant and discover a parking ticket on their car. The man angrily said to one of the women: "You made me get a ticket!" Now how could that be? Did she put a gun to his head and force him to park there?

Do you want to go through life looking like that entitled brat, or do you want to be respected as an achiever? It's entirely up to you!
You know nothing about me or how I live. So I kindly ask you to step off.

Old 09-24-2013, 12:45 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,028,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastbabe View Post
I might be rufflling some feathers here, but I am an Executive Assistant who by no means was born with a silver spoon in her mouth, but was raised with the mentality that if you want something, you have to go after it. "Nobody is gonna give you anything". You work for it. Well unfortunately, its coming to that time of the year where layoffs are going to occur with our company. Some have all ready received notice and are complaining that there is nothing out there, meaning no jobs. Im sorry but there are jobs out there, even if you have to make $7.25..its a still a job...I mean it would put food on the table at least or help pay 1 bill. Does our society think that we are good for minimum wage jobs.? I think that we as a society have forgotten where we come from. The minimum wage job does not have to be a long term gig....just something to get you over the hump until you are able to find something better. Right?
But it's NOT going to get better. We've been told that the recession has been "over" since 2010. This was THREE YEARS AGO and people STILL can't find a job. Not low wage or liveable. The only people who are able to get employment are those CURRENTLY WORKING or that KNOWS SOMEONE that can hook them up.

All I'm going to say to you right now is that while you are STILL employed that you begin looking for a new executive assistant gig. Employers want to hire people that are ALREADY working.

Quote:
I just think some of us snurl are nose up at some jobs.. Im sorry, but I want to tell some of my uppity co-workers, "Who are you that you can't work a minimum wage job....Sorry for the rant...but thats the attitude that I perceive.
People who have to pay mortgages, rent and other bills can't afford to live off minimum wage.

Quote:
People are living beyond their means...
Stop lumping everybody together. You don't know each individual's situation to say this.

Quote:
i think thats why think there is nothing out there....I mean why do you need a4bedroom/2bath house and there is only 1 person in the house?.....
Again, you don't know why they purchased that home. You sound almost jealous.

Quote:
Too much of keeping up with the Jones, if you ask me.
Nobody "asked" you.

Old 09-24-2013, 12:49 PM

6,706 posts, read 5,935,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
Nobody "asked" you.
But, no one asked you, either. This is a public discussion forum and everyone's allowed to venture an opinion, without having to ask permission.

Old 09-24-2013, 12:50 PM

3,032 posts, read 4,735,794 times
I think I am also one of the people that agrees with the sentiment, but not the tone. In the original post, it came across as high and mighty. I was just trying to say that we are all scared when it initially happens. There's a "what am I going to do?!?!?!" anxiety. I don't think these people necessarily feel entitled or uppity.

I'm 27. In my area, a one bedroom apartment costs $1000, but I found one that costs $530, without central air, dishwasher, washer/dryer, carpeting. I drive a 1993 volvo station wagon I bought in CASH. Anything I buy is thrift. I got my first post-college job as a file clerk and worked my way up to an operations analyst. Now, I code and work in healthcare. I worked hard to get here and I know if I lost my job, I still have to work hard to get somewhere else. I'm very frugal, but if I lost my job.... I'd be scared as alll-heck, because I don't have a spouse. Everything is on me.

I just think it is the negative attitude portion that ruffled people's feathers. It's not that people don't think they should work hard, but rather feeling stressed that they have been working hard and there's a sense of "now what to do? it's hard to find a job in this economy and i have obligations." It's a shock and a blow, but I don't think that these people are necessarily acting entitled. I still think it is fear and anxiety of, "what's going to happen next? I have been so complacent in this lifestyle for so long."

Old 09-24-2013, 12:51 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,806,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
But it's NOT going to get better. We've been told that the recession has been "over" since 2010. This was THREE YEARS AGO and people STILL can't find a job. Not low wage or liveable. The only people who are able to get employment are those CURRENTLY WORKING or that KNOWS SOMEONE that can hook them up.

All I'm going to say to you right now is that while you are STILL employed that you begin looking for a new executive assistant gig. Employers want to hire people that are ALREADY working.

People who have to pay mortgages, rent and other bills can't afford to live off minimum wage.

Stop lumping everybody together. You don't know each individual's situation to say this.

Again, you don't know why they purchased that home. You sound almost jealous.

Nobody "asked" you.
Respect your comment - It will get better, for me at least....Later for the naysayers in life. Do I think Im better than everyone else....H#ll no!!!!!!!But I do know how to handle my finances and live a minimalist lifestyle...Yeah I was like everyone else at 1 point....but I learned...the hard way...Its not about stuff, and keeping up with the jones.

Old 09-24-2013, 12:51 PM

2,845 posts, read 6,013,580 times
My goodness can someone please message me the job position for $28/hr picking apples? I'd do it in a HEARTBEAT!

That being said, it's not THAT easy. Employers at places paying Min. wage are going to see your work history and think "this guy will be gone in no time" and not hire you.

When I got laid off years ago, I applied for a job at a call center, got an interview, walked in, and was called in for my interview.

The hiring manager took one look at my application and said "someone with your skill doesn't belong here" and walked me out. She was nice, and even though I was insistent I didn't care if the job was shoveling poop I need work, she shook her head and said I needed to take a "better" job.

I was unemployed for about a year!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment