Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2013, 09:38 AM

2,919 posts, read 5,803,781 times

Advertisements

I might be rufflling some feathers here, but I am an Executive Assistant who by no means was born with a silver spoon in her mouth, but was raised with the mentality that if you want something, you have to go after it. "Nobody is gonna give you anything". You work for it. Well unfortunately, its coming to that time of the year where layoffs are going to occur with our company. Some have all ready received notice and are complaining that there is nothing out there, meaning no jobs. Im sorry but there are jobs out there, even if you have to make $7.25..its a still a job...I mean it would put food on the table at least or help pay 1 bill. Does our society think that we are good for minimum wage jobs.? I think that we as a society have forgotten where we come from. The minimum wage job does not have to be a long term gig....just something to get you over the hump until you are able to find something better. Right? I just think some of us snurl are nose up at some jobs.. Im sorry, but I want to tell some of my uppity co-workers, "Who are you that you can't work a minimum wage job....Sorry for the rant...but thats the attitude that I perceive. People are living beyond their means...i think thats why think there is nothing out there....I mean why do you need a4bedroom/2bath house and there is only 1 person in the house?.....Too much of keeping up with the Jones, if you ask me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2013, 09:46 AM

1,923 posts, read 2,409,227 times
Entitlement my behind. Try telling this to the people who DO apply for minimum wage jobs and can't get them. Try saying this when the personality test blocks your application from getting through.

Old 09-24-2013, 09:51 AM

3,032 posts, read 4,733,446 times
Maybe they're whining, not out of entitlement, but out of fear?

Losing a job and being laid off is very stressful. There is fear in uncertainty and I don't think that I would tell your "uppity co-workers" anything. I've never been fired or laidoff, but was once at a company that was acquired by a different one. I left because I felt like my department was a redundant one. Investor relations folks, marketing folks, accountants were all being laid off. I don't think I would tell anyone anything unless I have experienced what they were experiencing. They were people who did a great job and this lay off was something that happened through no fault of their own. I would let these people complain and grieve for what they have lost and I am sure they will pick themselves up after a layoff after they get their barings straight.

No one is above doing anything for money, but at the same time... no one keeping their position should have the right to judge someone else who is being laid off because it is just luck of the draw sometimes.

Old 09-24-2013, 09:55 AM

3,739 posts, read 4,633,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastbabe View Post
The minimum wage job does not have to be a long term gig....just something to get you over the hump until you are able to find something better.

That's IF you can get that minimum wage job.

Old 09-24-2013, 10:02 AM

1,923 posts, read 2,409,227 times
People with the OP's opinion on the unemployed should be ashamed of themselves.

Fired from every job i've ever held, no education, no skills, need work

Tell your rant to this guy, can't even get a job at mcdonald's.

Another pull-yourself-up-by-the-bootstraps FAIL.

Many of us will take any job we can get, if these places got off their rear ends and actually hired someone instead of just advertising all day long.

Old 09-24-2013, 10:27 AM

3,082 posts, read 5,436,826 times
Here's to hoping OP gets laid off in the next round of lay offs.

After which she can come back to talk about her experiences with being unemployed and hunting for $7.25/hr jobs and "making a living" on it.

OP, don't leave us hanging. If this is truly what you believe in your heart, put your money where your mouth is. You could go a step further and just quit your job. That way you can't collect any nasty entitlements like unemployment insurance. And then you can illustrate to all of us just how easy it is. There's nothing like a first hand account after all.

Old 09-24-2013, 10:55 AM

9,874 posts, read 14,112,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parried View Post
People with the OP's opinion on the unemployed should be ashamed of themselves.

Many of us will take any job we can get, if these places got off their rear ends and actually hired someone instead of just advertising all day long.
Where in that thread did he ever indicate that he was trying to "pull himself up by the bootstraps"? He seems to do a lot of things to get himself fired.

Just because you whine about not having a job, doesn't mean you are doing things to become gainfully employed.

That being said, most of the unemployed do want a job. But I am dismayed by people who advise (mostly on the unemployment sub-forum) to think carefully about accepting "any" job, as it may affect your unemployment benefits. I, thankfully, have never needed unemployment insurance; but I would certainly accept any job (regardless of pay) over accepting money from the government. For me, working is better than not working, regardless of pay.

Old 09-24-2013, 11:04 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,118,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parried View Post

Lol, bad example. "Fired from every job I've ever held"??

Old 09-24-2013, 11:14 AM

3,082 posts, read 5,436,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
I, thankfully, have never needed unemployment insurance; but I would certainly accept any job (regardless of pay) over accepting money from the government. For me, working is better than not working, regardless of pay.
I think many of us want to believe this as well. However, two factors come into play that I can initially think of.

If you need the money, then you need the money. If what you're collecting on unemployment is significantly more than a minimum wage job in your area, and it is helping you to stay committed to your financial obligations, then I would have to argue that logically the unemployment benefit is your best option.

Secondly, and somewhat less importantly than above, if it can be guaranteed that working just any job will not hamper your career prospects, then so be it. Otherwise, why take a job that could impact your earning potential?

I'd rather work than sit on my arse and collect u/e insurance as well. However, these are a couple factors I'd certainly have to think about prior to taking just any job.

Old 09-24-2013, 11:20 AM

134 posts, read 214,091 times
There are jobs if you really are desperate for work and are physically strong. When I recently needed a gig to pay the bills, I filled out some paperwork at a temp agency for a warehouse job. I was put on work early the following morning. Every person on my crew was a strong guy in the age range 18-30 and they'll probably all be crippled if they keep bending and twisting their body to pick up 80-lb boxes non-stop like that for 10 years.

If you're not physically strong, then I'm not sure what you can do if you're desperate for a job. Minimum wage laws and technology have destroyed jobs such as grocery bagging and data entry.

About the entitlement thing, I don't think "entitled" is the right word to describe the bitter people who can't find decent jobs. It's more that they're disappointed by the reality of the job market. They went to college and were sold this idea that they would be doing some great career related to their studies, getting paid a decent amount and using their creative ingenuity. They were set up to be disappointed. There just aren't many cool jobs where you're doing something like political research for your favorite publication or algorithm development for Google. Everyone doesn't get to be a winner. Not even if everyone further educates themself. That'll just inflate the qualifications for every job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment