Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2013, 12:20 PM

4,721 posts, read 5,297,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Lemme ask, how competitive are these "bottom jobs" and do they require experience for them? I think that is where a major part of the problem lies IMHO.
No of course they don't require experience, and I don't believe they do where the OP lives either. What experience do you need to sweep or stock? I do think they look for the best candidate, and someone who is 18 and has never had a job and didn't do well in school does not look like the best candidate. Not everyone is a brain, but doing one's best is important throughout your life. A person who shows up for class and maintains a C average looks like someone who cares about themselves. A person who barely graduated and didn't go when they didn't feel like it does not look like a good candidate for a job.

Also, this whole having a job thing can be anything you have done that is work. If you helped out the elderly in your neighborhood, that counts. If you babysat, that counts. Sitting on your butt barely passing school just looks bad. An employer wants someone who is going to invest their time and energy into the company, even if it is just cleaning up the workplace. Wouldn't you hire the best candidate you could find? I know I would.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2013, 01:13 PM

3,549 posts, read 5,359,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgianbelle View Post
No of course they don't require experience, and I don't believe they do where the OP lives either. What experience do you need to sweep or stock? I do think they look for the best candidate, and someone who is 18 and has never had a job and didn't do well in school does not look like the best candidate. Not everyone is a brain, but doing one's best is important throughout your life. A person who shows up for class and maintains a C average looks like someone who cares about themselves. A person who barely graduated and didn't go when they didn't feel like it does not look like a good candidate for a job.

Also, this whole having a job thing can be anything you have done that is work. If you helped out the elderly in your neighborhood, that counts. If you babysat, that counts. Sitting on your butt barely passing school just looks bad. An employer wants someone who is going to invest their time and energy into the company, even if it is just cleaning up the workplace. Wouldn't you hire the best candidate you could find? I know I would.
You haven't been around this forum long enough. Some posters claim every job in the country requires years of experience.. wait for it, you'll see.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Old 10-01-2013, 01:42 PM

3,082 posts, read 5,424,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstan-dan View Post
You haven't been around this forum long enough. Some posters claim every job in the country requires years of experience.. wait for it, you'll see.

Requires years of experience, you say? No, not always.

However, with the shortage of jobs as a proportion to labor supply, you can certainly bet that if you don't have a ton of experience, that you're going to have a huge disadvantage in today's labor market.

Maybe most of the jobs require only 2-5 years of experience. Not that much by any means. However, if you are going up against tens or hundreds of other applicants vying for the same position with 10+ years of experience, what chance do you really have? Therein lies the problem in today's labor market.

Old 10-01-2013, 02:07 PM

1,923 posts, read 2,403,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Lemme ask, how competitive are these "bottom jobs" and do they require experience for them? I think that is where a major part of the problem lies IMHO.
It's almost like a lottery. You gotta hope they pick your application out of 500......this is the truth.

Old 10-01-2013, 02:29 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,728,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parried View Post
It's almost like a lottery. You gotta hope they pick your application out of 500......this is the truth.
Of course you can always be the only applicant they have, but that takes actually walking in and asking if they need help.

Old 10-01-2013, 02:33 PM

1,923 posts, read 2,403,951 times
The employees won't let you get through to a manager, though.

Old 10-01-2013, 02:44 PM

6,892 posts, read 22,456,853 times
Is it any wonder to anyone here that the OP hasn't returned to a thread that got hijacked by someone with reputation enough to know better? Next time start your own thread!

Old 10-01-2013, 03:46 PM

1,676 posts, read 1,526,494 times
So, uh, what happened to OP?

Old 10-01-2013, 03:48 PM

3,549 posts, read 5,359,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parried View Post
The employees won't let you get through to a manager, though.
Of course not. There must be something grossly or mentall wrong with you based on the issues you claim to have.

My guess is they are laziness and attention seeking behavior. I honestly cannot comprehend what life must be like being around some people.

Even if you found a job I woukd bet $100 you would get fired within a week based on your attitudes here.

Old 10-01-2013, 03:53 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,774,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekkie View Post
Requires years of experience, you say? No, not always.

However, with the shortage of jobs as a proportion to labor supply, you can certainly bet that if you don't have a ton of experience, that you're going to have a huge disadvantage in today's labor market.

Maybe most of the jobs require only 2-5 years of experience. Not that much by any means. However, if you are going up against tens or hundreds of other applicants vying for the same position with 10+ years of experience, what chance do you really have? Therein lies the problem in today's labor market.
That is the issue. Either you are over-qualified or under-qualified. Not many people who are exactly what they are looking for.

I am just wondering if part of the problem with the people looking for those jobs is that they actually apply but aren't considered because of the requirement issues. That is besides the whole we don't want those jobs because XYZ. There are always people like that but unless these jobs are posted and I can see the case, I look through the lens that there may be we are looking for experience or there is a distinct experience bias rather than taking raw talent and giving them a chance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment