Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2013, 07:55 AM

4,003 posts, read 6,099,271 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 479968 View Post
It's to the streets for me unless I find work soon.

I'll be honest, I have a ****ty high school GPA, in addition to having no car and no job experience.
According to them I should have been able to just walk in and ask and find work the first thing in the morning like my grandfather did. However, unemployment in this town is high and it's been difficult to find anything. I filed for low skilled jobs in about half of the town already, went to a few interviews, but never actually hired. I'd like to find a job so I can get a car so I can go to community college, but what I am doing isn't working and I don't know what to fix.
what about trying to get a job at teh school, fulltime employees usually get free tuition plus busses normally run pretty well around community colleges which will help until you get a car
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2013, 01:36 PM

1,720 posts, read 1,316,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
The military is the last desperate move...Never go near the military unless you really want to and it is something that is in your life plan. Yes old people like myself do get it...Times have changed...When I was a teenager I could walk through an industrial park...Step into the office of some company...ask to see the manager...talk for ten minutes and be asked to work the next day...NOW...everything is a digitized hellish mess of thousands of those things they call resumes ..that no one reads ...and you deal with people you can not see...Simple jobs should be easy to get...problem is most are now in China...our corporations double crossed their own in favor of cheap labor.

Your grandparents if they are poor and struggling...I can see them putting pressure on you...If they are well to do they should just be more patient...now again...as for the military . Do you really want to end up in Syria possibly and as the bullets fly you can think..."I am here because I am poor"....that is not a wise option.
Guy I know said in the 60's in Philly you could quit a job at lunch one day and be working down/across the street the next. He didn't seem to be embellishing or exaggerating at all.

As a matter of fact I'm old enough to have saw the remnant of that. When I was a teenager in H.S. before digital applications etc... I knew that if I filled out one of the applications they had in the "Thrift Drug" or supermarket or any such teenage employment place that chances are I would be working at one of those places in short order. Today it's totally different. With digital/internet apps that go into a figurative digital black hole as soon as you send it and never even know if another human will ever lay eyes on it.

And with the "keyword" search software companies use now to reduce the amount of resumes, chances are if you don't have the correct key words in your resume then no human ever will see your resume.

Last edited by CK78; 10-23-2013 at 01:49 PM.. Reason: adding my own story

Old 10-23-2013, 04:26 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,033,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CK78 View Post
Guy I know said in the 60's in Philly you could quit a job at lunch one day and be working down/across the street the next. He didn't seem to be embellishing or exaggerating at all.

As a matter of fact I'm old enough to have saw the remnant of that. When I was a teenager in H.S. before digital applications etc... I knew that if I filled out one of the applications they had in the "Thrift Drug" or supermarket or any such teenage employment place that chances are I would be working at one of those places in short order. Today it's totally different. With digital/internet apps that go into a figurative digital black hole as soon as you send it and never even know if another human will ever lay eyes on it.

And with the "keyword" search software companies use now to reduce the amount of resumes, chances are if you don't have the correct key words in your resume then no human ever will see your resume.
Even I saw the last moments of this era. My first summer job was at Sear Hardware, back when they existed independently from Sears proper. All I had to do was show up, fill out an application, and prove I wasn't nuts or a drug-addled bum in a really quick interview. There might have been a drug test, too, but that was it. Nowadays, I'd have to fill out an electronic personality test and a dozen other forms before I'd be considered for an interview... for a minimum wage job... right... But, of course, it's the fault of the unemployed for all this, or so we're to believe!

Old 10-23-2013, 05:06 PM

1,263 posts, read 3,281,178 times
Way back when, I used to have a goal: apply for three jobs to get one. I was usually offered 2 out of the 3 jobs, though, so I had a choice.

Those days are gone forever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment