Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2013, 10:10 AM

1,626 posts, read 3,898,402 times

Advertisements

Do employers call after the application is no longer listed on the closing date? or do they mainly call while the job is still listed? what about jobs that have been up for months what's the story there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2013, 11:36 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,871,835 times
What I find about jobs open for months it is either one with lots of turnover/promotions out of the job. Or the employer is looking for a purple squirrel.

Old 09-25-2013, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
What I find about jobs open for months it is either one with lots of turnover/promotions out of the job. Or the employer is looking for a purple squirrel.
How long is the typical job posted for a month? do they call with the job posted or wait until after?

Old 09-25-2013, 07:54 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,571 posts, read 81,167,557 times
There is no general rule. In my case, we send a letter to all applicants thanking them for their application and letting them know the estimated timing. Those not selected for interviews get a letter as soon as the cut is made, usually within 2 weeks, while HR calls the others to set up appointments. Posting time depends on the job. For an admin we would expect hundreds of applicants so maybe a week. For a specialized skilled position we might go 4 weeks and would contact no one until after it's closed.

Old 09-25-2013, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
There is no general rule. In my case, we send a letter to all applicants thanking them for their application and letting them know the estimated timing. Those not selected for interviews get a letter as soon as the cut is made, usually within 2 weeks, while HR calls the others to set up appointments. Posting time depends on the job. For an admin we would expect hundreds of applicants so maybe a week. For a specialized skilled position we might go 4 weeks and would contact no one until after it's closed.
Thanks, for this job it has been a month and I have heard nothing.This is a department head position so I assume it may take a while but Im getting impatient. it set so I get a rejection email on the settings but nothing so far

Old 09-25-2013, 09:07 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,045,846 times
We review all applications received on or before the closing date. The applicants chosen to interview are decided upon only after the closing date, but it might take a couple of weeks before we can make this decision and contact people.

Yes, it is entirely possible that you are still a viable contender.

Old 09-26-2013, 01:18 PM

Do you send out emails if the resume was sent to the hiring manager?. I had one sent to the national recruiter by someone. I suspect they thought I had potential, we did a phone interview for over an hour, however they had no position available at the time (which is what I thought initially). I am now waiting on another job, would my file be marked that I was interviewed? would I get sent to the hiring manager for this one, even though I did a phone interview for a different job? would they tell me like the other job?

also how long are jobs posted for a month?

Wouldn't I have been gotten a rejection letter by now?

Last edited by Swan Dive; 09-26-2013 at 01:58 PM..

Old 09-26-2013, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swan Dive View Post
Do you send out emails if the resume was sent to the hiring manager?. I had one sent to the national recruiter by someone. I suspect they thought I had potential, we did a phone interview for over an hour, however they had no position available at the time (which is what I thought initially). I am now waiting on another job, would my file be marked that I was interviewed? would I get sent to the hiring manager for this one, even though I did a phone interview for a different job? would they tell me like the other job?

also how long are jobs posted for a month?

Wouldn't I have been gotten a rejection letter by now?
I don't use recruiters, but with that in mind...

I only consider or interview people for open positions, and only if they apply for that exact position. If you applied for a similar position, don't expect your résumé to be forwarded to me

We don't create files for applicants that track them beyond each unique application. If you apply as an accountant and do not get the job, when you apply later as a collections person or comptroller you get a fresh start. At least on paper. If I was the manager who interviewed you previously of course I will remember you, which will have an impact on my impression of you, for better or worse.

It's entirely possible, but very unlikely, for the job to close and have no candidates contacted for a month. It's never really a good sign for the applicant though. Most commonly the applicant did not make the short list for interviews, but we have not rejected them just in case all 6-8 interviews tank. Essentially those people are second string. Viable candidates are usually contacted within two weeks of the closing date.

Old 09-26-2013, 10:14 PM

The first interview I did when I was forwarded to the national recruiter was for an upper management job, the job was already filled and they told me that( I also suspected it would be before the interview took place). I think they interviewed me due to potential that I had for the job. I think it went well, the interview I felt could have gone on for hours or so

What does it mean if the job is still listed longer than a month? I see this all the time with other jobs. do most places use the rejection email feature?

So after it closes assuming it has been a month and it has been sometime I should assume that they aren't interested.

Would they be screening people and sending out rejection letters as the throughout the job's listing? or is it all after the listing?

Old 09-26-2013, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swan Dive View Post

What does it mean if the job is still listed longer than a month? I see this all the time with other jobs. do most places use the rejection email feature??
So very many possibilities. Does it have a closing date posted? If so, it probably means that they are reviewing applications that made it in on time but have not hired anyone.

Or, if they don't really care about closing dates, that they are still collecting applications.

Or, the HR person hasn't gotten around to taking it down.

Quote:

So after it closes assuming it has been a month and it has been sometime I should assume that they aren't interested.
That is what I would assume. They are probably interviewing somebody by now, but it isn't you.

Quote:
Would they be screening people and sending out rejection letters as the throughout the job's listing? or is it all after the listing?
They could, but I have never seen it done that way. Usually all the people who do not make minimum qualification get rejected in a batch near the closing date. Everybody else gets a rejection when the successful person accepts the position.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment