Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2013, 03:16 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,240,130 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFW46 View Post
Why do you think the CEO didnt advise the OP's boss that the OP had been asked to help the new employee with Excel?

The OP said: My boss says to me "I don't want to be mean, but why are you meeting with her each day, your job was to help her not do it for her."

The OP's boss asked why the OP was meeting with the new employee every day. That doesnt imply that the boss wasnt aware of the CEO's request -- only that the boss didnt feel that daily meetings were necessary.
Okay I reread the first post and the boss knew she was asked to help.

Where this gets sticky for me is the CEO part and people telling the OP to just stop helping the girl, even though the girl cannot do it on her own yet. Obviously the CEO knows this new employee is not qualified to do her job, yet expects the OP to prop her up and make this project a success. Seems like this new employee was hired for something other than skills (connections or who knows) so perhaps forging ahead on the say so of her boss and not helping the new employee might put the OP in a bad situation with the CEO of the company. Who knows. There may be more than meets the eye here. Hopefully the OP can get the scoop from other angles and be safe in whatever way she ends up handling this. The CEO is counting on her to help this person, yet her boss is counting on her to do her job and looks at helping the girl as an interruption to that. The OP is in the middle and, yes, her boss is her boss, but should she just diss the CEO's request without a word to the CEO?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2013, 03:27 PM

445 posts, read 863,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
I don't know. I interpreted it as the boss had no idea what was going on regarding the meetings. How are you supposed to help someone with the Excel portion of the reporting if you don't meet with them?

Where this gets sticky for me is the CEO part. Obviously the CEO knows this new employee is not qualified to do her job, yet expects the OP to "prop her up and make this project a success." Seems like this new employee was hired for something other than skills (connections or who knows) so perhaps forging ahead on the say so of her boss and not helping the new employee might put the OP in a bad situation with the CEO of the company. Who knows. There may be more than meets the eye here. Hopefully the OP can get the scoop from other angles and be safe in whatever way she ends up handling this. The CEO is counting on her to help this person, yet her boss is counting on her to do her job. The OP is in the middle and, yes, her boss is her boss, but should she just diss the CEO's request without a word to the CEO?
I agree. If the OP's boss knew about the request of the CEO , why didn't he give the OP the order? I thought there was a chain of command.

Old 09-29-2013, 05:33 PM

2,682 posts, read 4,473,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickytoffee View Post
What does this mean? You're great at Excel and she barely understands it. Are you supposed to do the charts and let her watch or do one chart and let her continue or..? Why was she hired without the appropriate level of office skills? Is she great at something else the company needed?
I don't know but I'm going to find out tomorrow. I did some thinking and i need clarification from my boss on exactly what he wants me to do with this.

No more meetings with her. Boss lets me pretty much do what I think I need to do to get things done, but I do understand that the meetings are strange to him and need to end.

Old 09-29-2013, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Okay I reread the first post and the boss knew she was asked to help.

Where this gets sticky for me is the CEO part and people telling the OP to just stop helping the girl, even though the girl cannot do it on her own yet. Obviously the CEO knows this new employee is not qualified to do her job, yet expects the OP to prop her up and make this project a success. Seems like this new employee was hired for something other than skills (connections or who knows) so perhaps forging ahead on the say so of her boss and not helping the new employee might put the OP in a bad situation with the CEO of the company. Who knows. There may be more than meets the eye here. Hopefully the OP can get the scoop from other angles and be safe in whatever way she ends up handling this. The CEO is counting on her to help this person, yet her boss is counting on her to do her job and looks at helping the girl as an interruption to that. The OP is in the middle and, yes, her boss is her boss, but should she just diss the CEO's request without a word to the CEO?
Yes this is how I feel. I will clarify with boss tomorrow. CEO will be in next week, so my boss can get with him after I talk to him.

It's just frustrating that I was asked to help her, but she's not capable of putting together the information how the management wants it. So what am I supposed to do? If I just show her one thing, she's not going to be able to finish it alone. It's not just replicating the same formula over and over, there are various formulas that we are using that I know she is not familiar with.

I'm thinking maybe I did volunteer too much and should have just showed her a few things and been done with it.

Old 10-01-2013, 06:37 AM

Well I talked to the boss first thing Monday morning. I told him all my concerns and that all I wanted was to complete the project per the CEO's request and not be part in any of the "drama" that was going on. We got it all straightened out and out on the table. He then talked to the girl's boss and HR and now we're all on the same page. Nothing has changed though, we still have to do the project, but at least boss now understands why we need to meet as this will take some time. Thank you for all the suggestions. One thing is that I'm going to let her take the lead a little a more and volunteer a little less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment