Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2013, 10:27 PM

219 posts, read 527,269 times

Advertisements

Just thought I'd share a job opportunity on here. First things first: you must have a college degree and/or have served in the US military and be a US citizen. I'm not sure if they hire former police officers as well but I wouldn't doubt it.

You're basically doing contract armed security work for the government. There's 1 month of training (Monday to Friday, 8 hour days) at $7.25/hr. This all leads up to the gun range. If you pass you'll be put on the contract for around $31/hr (I believe its's around 27/hr base pay plus $0.50/hr for uniform maintenance and $4/hr to buy health insurance). There are no benefits, the rules can be strict (no water on post, no sitting, out in the rain and snow) but after a few months or a year you eill be cleared for a government clearance. There are many locations in the DC/NoVA area and after a while you can put in for relocation. In fact there are many locations around the US that open up every now and then but pay varies.

You can also qualify for quarterly bonuses for meeting height/weight targets ($250/quarter), having certain weekend clearance levels ($250-$1000/quarter), and being qualified for other specific posts ($250/quarter).

There's a union, which I'm not crazy about and the contract is up for renewal at the end of this year. Most likely we'll stay but pay won't go up again, if it does at all, until 2015.

Of course you will have to wear a uniform and adhere to some seemingly pointless rules and a chain of command but it's pretty easy as long as you can stand for 8-12 hours. Most locations in DC are manned 24/7/365 which means you will work weekends and holidays, sometimes 10 or so days in a row. Most new people start at 30 hours/week with a guaranteed minimum of 34 or 36 after your one year probationary period.

I don't want to give out too many details online but feel free to send a private message. A government shut down could affect hours on the morning and afternoon shifts but not the overnight shift. In the 3 years I've been here the company has not stopped hiring and starts a new training class every 2 weeks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2013, 10:29 PM

Oh and no criminal record!

Old 10-01-2013, 11:04 AM

273 posts, read 502,837 times
Wow! This job description sounds horrible. Try at least sugar coating some aspect of it.

Old 10-01-2013, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibit_B View Post
Wow! This job description sounds horrible. Try at least sugar coating some aspect of it.
Hey, it's a job. Some people get to travel around the world, a handful only work 3-4 days a week, and if you work a lot of overtime and get all your bonuses you can make around $80K. If you choose to call out a lot, don't get your bonuses, etc you'll make around $55K.

There's room for advancement and positions open up around the US every now and then.

Old 10-01-2013, 01:21 PM

1,263 posts, read 3,279,466 times
Don't forget that you can get a security clearance out of the deal. I know people who earn 10-30k above "normal" salaries because of their security clearances. The spread is enormous in unskilled positions like the cafeteria workers at the CIA. Janitor is a middle-class job if you're cleaning the NSA headquarters.

Old 10-01-2013, 01:30 PM

595 posts, read 2,701,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibit_B View Post
Why should he sugar coat it? It's better to know what you would be doing than have him blow smoke up your rear and then realize you made a mistake. To some the sugar coat might be the money they can earn! At least that's the way I look at it! Not to mention this sounds like a job most military members do for significantly less money. So I can see how this could be a desirable position for many people. Shoot, if I was in the DC area and looking for work, I'd jump at it!

Is this for gate guard positions at military bases by any chance? Just curious...

Old 10-03-2013, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDH35 View Post
Why should he sugar coat it? It's better to know what you would be doing than have him blow smoke up your rear and then realize you made a mistake. To some the sugar coat might be the money they can earn! At least that's the way I look at it! Not to mention this sounds like a job most military members do for significantly less money. So I can see how this could be a desirable position for many people. Shoot, if I was in the DC area and looking for work, I'd jump at it!

Is this for gate guard positions at military bases by any chance? Just curious...
No, this is not at a military base.

Old 10-03-2013, 12:09 PM

As for security clearances, most people end up with Top Secrets, but a select few get a TS-SCI. Nobody gets any higher than that though (polygraph, etc).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment