Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2013, 07:38 AM

16,715 posts, read 19,400,390 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
Why do you feel the need to lie to people you don't even know?

And in other threads you have told us that you were never able to work again after your firing.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/work-...ter-being.html
This is a strange pattern of yours, OP. Add to that that you still obsess over this firing more than 10 years ago (and have given a number of conflicting reasons for it) and I have to wonder if you might benefit from therapy and/or medication.[/quote]

I'm glad you caught this because I thought I was crazy.

Old 10-03-2013, 08:04 AM

1,480 posts, read 2,795,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
This is a strange pattern of yours, OP. Add to that that you still obsess over this firing more than 10 years ago (and have given a number of conflicting reasons for it) and I have to wonder if you might benefit from therapy and/or medication.
I'm glad you caught this because I thought I was crazy.[/quote]

I have been fired a number of times in my career. That firing was years ago, the latest was just recently and that was used to blackball me out of the field!

Old 10-03-2013, 08:07 AM

16,715 posts, read 19,400,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
I have been fired a number of times in my career. That firing was years ago, the latest was just recently and that was used to blackball me out of the field!
I guess I just don't get why you are obsessing over it.

Or do you not like being retired? My dad hated being retired. He used to say the only reason he got out of bed i the moning was to get breakfast.

Old 10-03-2013, 09:30 AM

4,734 posts, read 4,328,449 times
Quote:
Here I am retired with a nice balance in my 401k and collecting Social Security and doing just fine financially.

So I am walking down a path at a local park and I look up and coming down the path right at me is one of the nastiest human beings I have ever experienced in my life. The man who fired me, then successfully fought my unemployment claim using lies, and made sure that that anyone at that employer would not say anything good about me so I could land on my feet and start over. Human Resources told all potential employers I was not eligible for rehire and was fired. (Yes, legally they can say that because it was true!)

At my termination, this guy was particularly harsh and mean. The official reason I was fired was I could not do the job at their expected standards. I worked 12 hours day and worked incredibly hard and did my best, but it was not good enough for them. We had an incredibly intense relationship for a number of years and talked multiple times a day.

It took me a year to get back into my career field because potential employees would be suspicious of anyone who had been fired from a job they held for five years. At reference check time, most potential employers insisted that they had to talk to my manager of five years before I would be considered. Many called him and he would not speak of me, if they got him on the phone, or would not return their phone messages.

Anyway, back to the park and September 2013. I always told myself that if I got back on my feet and ran into this terrible man again I would tell him off and make a scene. (I spent so many nights after my firing trying to think of ways I could have been a better employee and not be fired)

I had not seen him since, for over ten years, until last weekend. He looked so old, mean and ugly and he was with his wife and I was with my wife. Our eyes met and he looked at me funny and we kept walking and no words were spoken.

Would you have said something to him if it were you in my shoes?
You absolutely did the right thing. No point in bringing that up again, as it would just lead to nowhere good. Your life turned out okay in the end, so why risk a confrontation that could lead to a place only God knows. I totally understand the urge to have the last word, but sometimes it's better to leave well enough alone. If you allow him to undo your nice walk in the park, then in a way, he 'wins'. You've won by simply moving forward and leaving him to be bitter and rotten with time.

Old 10-03-2013, 03:44 PM

22,284 posts, read 21,713,925 times
Quote:

OK so the pattern you have is to get fired in extremely aggressive ways and your bosses are so angry with you that they want to make sure you are never hired again. But I am sure that's everyone else's fault and you are the blameless angel.

In every post you are complaining about how other people treat you poorly or how screwed up they are. Ever wonder if the reason might rest closer to home? Like, that you are delusional?

Old 10-04-2013, 12:07 AM

12,767 posts, read 14,959,782 times
OP, I would have done exactly what you did...look at him, then keep on walking without saying anything. Actually, I would have wished I had on some sunglasses, then our eyes wouldn't have to look at each other!

Boy, I just wish I could one day run into a few people who treated me like dirt once I became successful. Just them seeing my fancy car, & my well put together appearance, & the expression on their faces would be enough satisfaction for me!

Old 10-04-2013, 05:33 AM

1,480 posts, read 2,795,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
OK so the pattern you have is to get fired in extremely aggressive ways and your bosses are so angry with you that they want to make sure you are never hired again. But I am sure that's everyone else's fault and you are the blameless angel.

In every post you are complaining about how other people treat you poorly or how screwed up they are. Ever wonder if the reason might rest closer to home? Like, that you are delusional?
Yes, I must be a terrible person for being fired three times in a life of over 45 years of working!

Old 10-04-2013, 06:09 AM

22,284 posts, read 21,713,925 times
Quote:
Yes, I must be a terrible person for being fired three times in a life of over 45 years of working!
Three times out of how many long term jobs? And why are the firings always so acrimonious?

Old 10-07-2013, 05:59 PM

88 posts, read 168,247 times
I would have "bombed" on that fool. Its cosmic justice.

Old 10-07-2013, 09:46 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,473,283 times
Quote:
Here I am retired with a nice balance in my 401k and collecting Social Security and doing just fine financially.

So I am walking down a path at a local park and I look up and coming down the path right at me is one of the nastiest human beings I have ever experienced in my life. The man who fired me, then successfully fought my unemployment claim using lies, and made sure that that anyone at that employer would not say anything good about me so I could land on my feet and start over. Human Resources told all potential employers I was not eligible for rehire and was fired. (Yes, legally they can say that because it was true!)

At my termination, this guy was particularly harsh and mean. The official reason I was fired was I could not do the job at their expected standards. I worked 12 hours day and worked incredibly hard and did my best, but it was not good enough for them. We had an incredibly intense relationship for a number of years and talked multiple times a day.

It took me a year to get back into my career field because potential employees would be suspicious of anyone who had been fired from a job they held for five years. At reference check time, most potential employers insisted that they had to talk to my manager of five years before I would be considered. Many called him and he would not speak of me, if they got him on the phone, or would not return their phone messages.

Anyway, back to the park and September 2013. I always told myself that if I got back on my feet and ran into this terrible man again I would tell him off and make a scene. (I spent so many nights after my firing trying to think of ways I could have been a better employee and not be fired)

I had not seen him since, for over ten years, until last weekend. He looked so old, mean and ugly and he was with his wife and I was with my wife. Our eyes met and he looked at me funny and we kept walking and no words were spoken.

Would you have said something to him if it were you in my shoes?
You are an amazing writer. I enjoyed reading your post

As far as your experience goes, im the same way. I always think of things to say after the fact or I chicken out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment